Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Online Master's Degree Programs for Emergency Services

Several of us in my department are looking into the possibility of earning a Master's Degree in Emergency Services (Emergency Management, Fire Administration, etc.) Does anyone out there have any thoughts or experiences they would like to share? I've been able to find a few programs (Eastern Kentucky and American Military University to name a few). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

MembersZone Subscriber

I just enrolled in AMU and am working on my Master's degree as well. My first class starts 3/7. I searched for online options because working full time, working out and my volunteer activities makes a traditional class almost impossible.

I am interested in hearing from others on their experiences.

MembersZone Subscriber

BGibbs,

If you don't mind my asking, what is your major at AMU and what made you pick them over the other programs out there?

MembersZone Subscriber

No problem.

First, I was looking for courses that were offered online through an accredited school. Second, I was looking for something primarily in the homeland security field. Lastly, cost.

The cost per credit hour is cheaper than most traditional courses but should be considering there is no "campus" involved. Also, you pay for your classes and not admission fees, etc. They (AMU) furnish the text books for undergrad work. Graduate work requires you to find and purchase your own, so figure that in when comparing prices.

There is no graduate admissions exam required either. Submitting my transcripts from my BS degree was all that was required. I was dreading the exam since it had been 12 years since I graduated, too! :-)

Several firefighters within the city I work for are working on their undergrad fire science degree through University of Memphis online. I didn't really check to see if U of M offered a masters level.

The local university, Austin Peay State University, just started offering a homeland security degree. However, the courses are more criminal justice/law enforcement related and appear geared more to a law enforcement officer working on their degree. I was/am looking for something that will help me in the future doing risk and threat assesments, crisis management, etc. Hopefully it will make me more marketable in my current job and in the future should I ever wish to change jobs.

Thread Information