Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Burn Bldg Funding

Has anyone ever used federal FIRE Grants to fund a burn building or other part of a training facility? I know the grants aren't suppossed to be used for construction, but...

Are there any other federal funding sources for a burn building?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Several folks have gotten burn trailers, but like you acknowledged, stationary facilities are ineligible with the FireACT.

I've been digging around the federal grants programs since 2001 and I haven't seen anything yet specifically for training facilities. If you're classified as an urban department HUD has Community Block Development Grants, and there are some for rural areas as well, which are mainly for stations and apparatus, but nothing says you can't build a training facility into the station's design and purpose. Suburban areas kinda get the shaft from HUD, there's not a whole lot available.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you look under success stories on the website (www.firegrantsupport.com) you will see a FD in Hawaii that received the grant for a mobile burn trailer. As stated in their story, they can even move it by ferry to the surrounding islands for training.

Thread Information