Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

It took the CVRD six weeks to approve us purchasing 10 packs of new sawsall blades; in fact, I had to explain to them what a sawzall blade was and why we needed them.
    Mill Bay FD uses 4 inch supply line, so we decided we would purchase a 4" to 6" fitting so we could hook into their hi-vol system. That took nearly two months for them to "research" and approve us purchasing one; when they where provided with a two page report about what it was and why we needed it (and two pages it a lot to write about a single fitting).

Ok, that's really screwed up! Who's on that board? Are you guys represented at all?
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    I went on the CVRD website and actually had the minutes of the meeting up before a slight power outage knocked me off line. unfortunately, I couldn't get back to the link. It qas in adobe reader format.

It appears that the Malahat firefighters who walked out wanted to come back with a few condtions of their own..

1. that they be allowed to increase their level of insurance.
    2. that everyone would return to their previous rank and senority.

The motion was denied by the board.
    Capt., I was the one that gave that presentation the CVRD protective services committee (so I feel my opinion does mean something on that matter). You have to remember the context in which it was given. IE, what was going on at the time in early Feb.

The CVRD website is www.cvrd.bc.ca

Also, I will at some time later today post my notes as well as a copy of the hand-outs that I gave to all the attending directors so that everyone can see exactly what it was that I presented.

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    If the Malahat firefighters want to pay for their own insurance increase by taking out a supplemental policy as a group, I see that as being reasonable.
    This is something we asked for prior to all this happening.

In a memo from the CVRD they themselves said that the insurance provider was prepaired to provide enhanced packages to meet the needs of individual fire departments without increasing the cost of the basic package to the other departments (and offered to pay for that additional increase ourselves). This is what we were refering to in the presentation. That the department be allowed to purchase this enhanced package that they refered to.

In fact, it should be known that there where THREE points in question that I presented, not two. So even the CVRD paperwork doesn't tell entire story.

Since it was denied, we are all willing to go back at entry level if that is what it takes, which will be a bit of an insult to some of the guys with 11 and 17 years experience, but that was the price to pay to get our story to the public... a small price.

I am running late and I don't have the paperwork in front of me, so I will post more later this evening.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Default Well Firefighter 26

YOUR sister came on these threads spewing ugly garbage. I am well aware of the antics up there. I also know no one is totally blameless in this world. I am a peaceful man. BUT, when a friend is attacked, you might as well go after me too. It was never my intent to one up anyone or be mean for that matter. BUT I am a true believer in "keepin it real" and I will not back down when I know a bad deal when I see it. One more thing. You can quote anyone in the world extoling the virtues of your beloved "rocket". No argument in the world would ever change my opinion of that glorified outhouse. Yes,it was me who pointed out to said former member the dangers of that thing. And that was just from a picture. I did see it up close and personal. That just re-affirmed what I already knew. You think I was bad about it. Just think what George W. CFI would tell you about that thing. I used to be amused by the adventures of the MVFD. But I have been around long enough to know what little fire departments can be like. And sometimes it aint so pretty.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Temporarily/No Longer Active ToughJustice's Avatar

Ok, that's really screwed up! Who's on that board? Are you guys represented at all?
    Ya that is screwed up, that's what we're trying to point out here, it's not all black and white.
    The CVRD staff is anyone who is hired to work there.
    The members of the board are the elected regional directors of different areas (Our area is Mill Bay/Malahat). When you are elected it is required that you be member of a certain number of commitees...these commitees get recommendations from the CVRD staff. The commitee that we answer to is the Protective Services Commitee. Above the commitees is the Board, which is made up of ALL of the regional directors...the board takes it's recommendations from each of these commitees, then votes and in a majority either passes or denies each recommendation.

So basically all of our problems are voted on by all these people, only one of which has anything to do with our district, all of the other people can live at the other end of the Cowichan Valley and they still get an opinion things that effect us. So yes, we are represented, but no, not properly.

Originally posted by ToughJustice

Ya that is screwed up, that's what we're trying to point out here, it's not all black and white.
    The CVRD staff is anyone who is hired to work there.
    The members of the board are the elected regional directors of different areas (Our area is Mill Bay/Malahat). When you are elected it is required that you be member of a certain number of commitees...these commitees get recommendations from the CVRD staff. The commitee that we answer to is the Protective Services Commitee. Above the commitees is the Board, which is made up of ALL of the regional directors...the board takes it's recommendations from each of these commitees, then votes and in a majority either passes or denies each recommendation.

So basically all of our problems are voted on by all these people, only one of which has anything to do with our district, all of the other people can live at the other end of the Cowichan Valley and they still get an opinion things that effect us. So yes, we are represented, but no, not properly.
    Welcome to the world of politics.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information