Thread: Need Advice

Forum Member

Default Need Advice

My ride alongs with a big city ALS company just got approved for my EMT-B internship. Any advice on ride alongs and ettiquette is the station?

TIA
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Chip in with things like general clean up duties and cleaning the bus, when they do it. Generally offer to assist in the stuff they do. Don't complain about your agency's problems, and at least until you develop some degree of rapport with the crew, don't be too opinionated about anything (Red Sox and Pats should be safe topics for you though ). That kind of thing can bite you in the nether regions. Just remember respect and don't be pushy and things should be ok.

Oh....ice cream is always a nice touch.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

If they are ordering food...offer to go pick it up in your POV... better yet, buy it for them as a thank you and give them their money back. That always impresses.

Ask intelligent questions.

If you ask about the crew about their "war stories"... listen, but don't bring up any of your own. Being a newly minted EMT, you won't have that many anyway!

Ask them if they need help on a call. While they are getting a patient's medical history, you can be getting a list of meds for them. In some cases, you have distraught people, young kids who are wondering what's going on and dogs barking up a storm. Taking care of the family's needs while the crew is tending to the patient is a tremendous help. If you "habla espanol" or "falamos portuguesa" and can translate, that's a great help.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-25-2005 at 05:47 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Having precepted a lot of folks:

Introduce yourself, be clean shaven, wear clean clothes.

Second thing you do is look over the rig to know where stuff is. This impresses me as initiative, eagerness to learn, and in the grand scheme of things when I need something off the rig I will send you and I won't have the time to show you where it is.

Ask questions, before and after calls, be judicious about them during calls. The reason I say this is because sometimes some patients get a bit apprehensive when they have a student riding with a crew that is treating them. Just something I have seen a few times.

Oh yeah - NEVER and I do mean NEVER question a course of treatment in front of a patient or their family. Seen it once. Was not happy.

I like the good Captain's idea - always good to buy the crew you're riding with lunch.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Don't touch the remote and don't sit in my chair. That is all.

Just kidding, good advice from everyone else.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

How much ice cream would you say an engine company and a ambie eat?

Thanks for the advice guys......I really appreciate it.

Forum Member

Bring in some doughnuts if you're coming in the morning.(get assorted ones) Dont try to be too "friendly" with the crew. Let them warm up to you. Ask to look over the equipment and ask the officer/medic in charge what you should do/bring in etc. once you get a run. I dont know about the firehouse you are running with, but if they cook, and they ask you to eat, accept gratefully. Make sure you offer to pay your share. I NEVER ask a rider to pay for our meals. We are big boys, we make more money then they do and certainly dont expect a young medic student to pay for everyone. Doughnuts, or ice cream is sufficient. Get a couple of different half gallons of different varieties. Be prepared to WORK. When I have a student, they will do everything on a run that they are allowed to. Tell the medic what your objectives are. Ie: "I need to get some IV's, do radio/phone report etc... DONT TALK POLITICS, RELIGION OR SEX. Good luck.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default You got me thinking about the "old days'..

When I would "fan" at a certain southside firehouse once in a while. I will leave it to your imagination what I would bring as a guest.. Usually an apple struedel and a case of...Well it WAS a LONG time ago..
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

When they start cleaning, offer to do your share.

Forum Member

You know your a rookie when you hear "attention rescue one" and im already half way down the pole to the ambi before the adderess is even said or the medics put down the recliner!

Breath deep Jesse, just breath. LOL

Thread Information