Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What to wear for interview?

I am going to an interview shortly. I was originially going to wear a three piece suit. But, now I am undecided wether to wear the suit or my uniform. I am currently enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard, and thought if I wear my uniform it would make a lasting impression. Although, I have heard that if you wear your uniform you are just trying to make a statement. Like saying your better than everyone. Just trying to get some ideas out of the members on the forums? What do you think? Thank you in advance for any input.

John

Forum Member

Personally, I'd probably wear shirt/tie/kakhis (<-- um.. yea, don't know the spelling on that one!) and a Navy Blue or Black Jacket. Either that.. or just a regular suit.. BUT that's just my opinion. You might want to see what is in the Career Article (under Jobs).. I know there is probably quite a lot about interviews/oral boards.. try searching the boards.. I KNOW it has been discussed before, or see what is on Capt.Bob's web site (I couldn't tell you what is on there, but he could probably tell you better than me!). Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think Captain Bob has discussed this also. Wear a suit and tie. Don't be flashy. Shine your shoes and get a haircut before you go. No gum,chew, or smoking before you interview. A uniform from another department or the military, although professional, may be sending the wrong message. Just my opinions though from what I have seen sitting on interview boards. Leave your trucker hat and flannel shirt at home though. Good Luck

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

If your going for a statement, make it a statement about you as a person, and not as a member of the Coast Guard. I would go with the suit or even a sport coat and slacks option. Just don't wear one of those things like naked co-ed firefighting, Big Johnson, or I fight what you fear T shirts. Of course unless THAT's the impression you want to make. In addition to a lasting impression, it should make for a short interview.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Default Dress for Success

You want your oral board to run smoothly without any surprises. Since what you wear is the strongest non-verbal statement you can make when you walk into the room a uniform, any uniform, might not get you off on the right footing. Are you willing to take that chance?

For some reason candidates have been convinced by themselves or others that this will some how separate them from the other candidates. It can but not in a way you were looking for. It often hits the panel that you are asking for more points.

Understand you are applying for a snot nose rookie position. You have no time or rank with the department you are testing for. So donít wear your military, volunteer, other department, dogcatcher or other uniform to your interview.

Here's a recent one.

A candidate from out of state called from southern California the night before his oral board. He asked if it was all right if he wore his military uniform to his oral? I asked him if he had brought anything else to wear. He said no. He said his dad and other members of his family that are in law enforcement told him it would make him stand out. I told him to go ahead and wear his uniform and we would talk later.

Did he get called back? Not yet.

Men: Do wear a wool suit in dark blue or gray. Pinstripes are fine, but avoid brown, black, or high fashion brightly colored suits. Sport coats or blazers are out, so is polyester. Tie should be in a solid color such as navy, red, maroon, yellow stripe, or paisley print. Wear a white, off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!

Donít: Wear casual or novelty watches, too much jewelry, monograms, religious, political, or fraternity affiliation accessories. Beards are out; mustaches are a gray area. When in doubt, shave it off. Donít wear cell phones, pagers or any other electronic leases.

More on attire here: http://eatstress.com/attire.htm

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Forum Member

I pretty much figured that was the response I would get. Which I don't have a problem with, and I appreciate everyone's input.

John

Thread Information