Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's your opinion on career firefighters staying on with their Vollie departments?

I know some unions frown on the paractise.

I also know that having volunteer firefighting experience is as valuable requirement for getting a paid position.

Is it mandatory to quit your vollie department after you get your badge?

It just seems unfair to abandon your local vollie department after you become a paid firefighter.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Rudyalways; 02-26-2005 at 10:53 PM.

Forum Member

i am a member of both vollie and paid. ive vollied for 8 years and gotten a check for 6. i think all career ffs that live in rural areas should vollie their expertise so long as its not in an area that has a population and a tax base large enough to have an all paid dept. just my two cents, not trying to throw out stink bait here. there have been similar posts to this one and they always seem to strike up quite a debate.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am a career FF an have been for 14 years. I am a volly FF and have been for 27 years. I do not volly where I work, nor do I volly in a place where my presence takes a single job.

What I choose to do in my off time is my business and no one elses as long as it is legal. I choose to protect the community I live in by being a volunteer.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I agree with Fyredup on this one.

As for your question asking if you had to quit once hired F/T, not always, but most large depts and unions seem to have that policy.

I agree that your off-time is your off-time, and if you can help save a life or a house in a community that can't afford a career dept, more power to you.

This debate will never end though.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, some background...
    I'm a 19 year old vollie who has been on for a mere 18 months, but from my perspective it's great. My dept. has a quite a few guys who work for the Houston FD and started out with our dept. The advantage is that they have tons of experience they can pass on to us.

Red face

(goes to fetch a dead horse)
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Kobersteen
    (goes to fetch a dead horse)
    Rudy, this is an extremely polarizing topic that as Kobersteen alluded too has been debated many, many, many times on these forums.

Use the search function, you will find more than enough opinions on this topic and many of the threads were closed because of all the fighting.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

It's an individual choice and it shouldn't matter what the rest of us thinks.
    This topic has been beaten to eternity, but is one that continues to surface, because in some parts of the counntry, unions are pushing against the practice.
    As long as what you do doesn't violate your department's rules, have at it.
    A dead horse is the glue that holds us together!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

I didn't want to bring up a dead horse and thanks for the advice on using the search option. I will do this and will delete this post if necessary.

I asked the question on this site on this forum because I value the opinions of members here.

I never understood why someone would waste their time posting the "dead horse" post. Either you respond or you don't. I'm a "senior" member on other different website forums and I have seen many questions which have been asked over & over. We all at some time were first timers and probably have had similir type questions.

It's great you've been a member since before the millenium, awesome, I'll remember that next time I post "How do you become a volunteer firefighter?"

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Rudy:
    This topic has been the source of a lot of discussion in the General Discussion Forums. I am sure if you log into the Career Forums, you will see it discussed there as well.
    I think the spirit of what was said is that you can get a lot of great discussion on a multitude of topics if you put in a search. And you may still have questions. That's great.
    It's funny; but everytime someone says "hey; we have already discussed this a thousand times, they will still offer their opinion!
    My remark that "a dead horse is the glue that holds us together" was my attempt at humor. Simply stated, it means "yeah; I know it's been discussed before. No harm in discussing it again".
    I have been on these forums since 2001 and I STILL don't know how to use all of the features.
    You got a question? Fire away. These forums are here for all of us; thanks to Dave Iannone and Chris Hebert.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Sometimes I just don't understand this forum.

We chastize people for not asking questions and trying to learn from the more experienced FF's here. Yet when a new person asks a question that has been asked before the responses from some are less than Brotherly.

If seeing a topic rediscussed bothers you simply don't read it and don't reply. Seems obvious.

It seems to me though that as people enter this forum all the time new versions of old questions emerge and amazingly new answers sometime follow.

A gentle suggestion to perhaps search the boards for past related topics may be a better approach than sarcasim.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Fyredup

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

A dead horse is the glue that holds us together!

CR - man you are right. i had to chuckle when i saw that.

Default Thank You

Originally posted by FyredUp
    Sometimes I just don't understand this forum.

We chastize people for not asking questions and trying to learn from the more experienced FF's here. Yet when a new person asks a question that has been asked before the responses from some are less than Brotherly.

If seeing a topic rediscussed bothers you simply don't read it and don't reply. Seems obvious.

It seems to me though that as people enter this forum all the time new versions of old questions emerge and amazingly new answers sometime follow.

A gentle suggestion to perhaps search the boards for past related topics may be a better approach than sarcasim.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Fyredup
    I couldn't agree more some posters on these boards treat people like crap but if some one gives it back to them ..watch out!
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

MembersZone Subscriber

As long as you don't Volunteer at the same place you are assigned as a career Firefighter, who really cares?
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

I too will jump on the bandwagon that I feel it is very unprofessional to slap someone in the teeth for asking a question just because it has been discussed before. A "Forum" is defined as a public meeting place for open discussion. The keyword there is OPEN.. it does not mean a public meeting place for discussion limited to one time per topic. Shame on those who have posted hundreds and thousands of times that feel they need to "police" members and beat down their efforts to discuss something of interest to them. As said before, if you don't care to talk about it again, go find a discussion topic where you can add something constructive to.

As you spend more time learning how to use these boards, you are less likely to ask the same question twice. But even if you have some experience here, it is often just as easy to throw out the question when it comes up so that you can get an answer and often some new prospectives on the topic. It is also very possible in this line of work for things to have changed from when a certain topic was last discussed. That is yet another reason to bring up a topic to be "rehashed".

Now.. to answer the question asked... it is my understanding that the IAFF has language in their by-laws that prohibit its members from doing firefighter duties without pay. I am not an IAFF member, so I cannot confirm that for you but I am sure there ara some IAFF members here that can.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Just like FYRED UP Posted:

I too am a Career Firefighter/EMT in an entirley Diffrent State from where I live.

Work in Delaware and Vollie in New Jersey.
    I don't volunteer where my presense would take a paid job away from someone....The company is 100% Volunteer 24/7.

I'm not as active of a volunteer as I'd like to be due to the job {Mainly Over-time} and my home responsibilities, children, etc... But I still am able to respond and protect my investment....My Home

Thank you all for your replies.

I probably should have made my question more specific, and it is related to the point which Metalmedic brought up...

How do I find out if volunteering is or isn't allowed when a member is a career firefighter?

Rudyalways...

Here is my opinion on that.

If it is an issue management will know you are a volly when you apply because it will be on your application. During your interview they will ask about previous experience and you will obviously say you are a volunteer FF. If it is an issue from managment's side they will let you know.

If it is an issue with your Union believe me they will let you know. Again and again and again.

Realistically though, unless it is in your contract that you can't volunteer they can't stop you from volunteering. The Union may try to sanction you or remove you from the Union. So it is up to you to decide how important it is to you.

Honestly, unless you are volunteering in your own career department, or volunteering in another combination career / volly FD, it is really no one's business what you do off duty.

FyredUp

Originally posted by MetalMedic
    Now.. to answer the question asked... it is my understanding that the IAFF has language in their by-laws that prohibit its members from doing firefighter duties without pay. I am not an IAFF member, so I cannot confirm that for you but I am sure there ara some IAFF members here that can.
    Indeed.

From the IAFF Constitution & Bylaws - 2004

Article XV - Misconduct & Penalties
    Section 3. Secondary Employment

Any member of the Association found working a secondary job as a paid-on-call fire fighter or an employee of a public employer, nonprofit corporation, or a private contracting firm providing fire protection or emergency medical services to a city, county, municipality, or a fire protection district as a volunteer, reserve, part-time, part-paid, police officer, police reserve, or public safety officer may be subject to charges being filed against that member.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

As far as I know we are all grown adults in our chosen career fields. If you absolutely want to volunteer, then volunteer. There is nothing the IAFF or anybody else can do to stop you. This is an issue that needs your conscience to lead.
    I have stated my reasons for opposing volunteering in another thread.
    Tillerman, I do tend to agree with your statement in this thread.

Thread Information