MembersZone Subscriber

Default $ limits for bunker gear

Does anyone know what the $$ limits are this year for bunker gear (coat, pants, boots, helmet etc.)?

Can anyone share a narrative (hopefully a winning one) to get new bunker gear?

Send to scobb@willingtonfire.org

Thanks!

Forum Member

I am not sure if you are asking what the total maximum amount is for a total award or for specific equipment. If you are asking what the amount is for specific equipment, ie how much can you spend on a complete set of turnouts? The best I understand, the reviewers have an "approximate" figure of how much equipment cost. Now after saying that, if you justify your request then you can get what you need. This is my intrepretation and may be totally off, maybe BC79er can shed some light on this. Look at the powerpoint presentation and the program guidance. Both of those can be found at www.firegrantsupport.com the answer to both of these questions is in there. Also check your mail, I sent you my successful narrative. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know what the "unofficial" limit is. I can tell you that in 2004 we were awarded $1,650 per set for structural gear top to bottom - helmet, boots, coat, pants, suspenders, flashlight, gloves. I guess the only thing I didn't include was hoods, as we already had new, and several spare on the shelf.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Stuart,

There are several things you can do to at least get an idea of what has been funded in the past. Pull up the list of awardees from this year by state, and call several from your state or surrounding that was awarded and start networking. Or visit the success stories on the www.firegrantsupport.com website. Call or email asking the amounts they submitted and were awarded.

Another, is call your sales reps and get prices. The folks who sit on the peer panel are in the same seat as you. They have purchased equip for either theirselves or their dept. so they will spot an over the top inflation. Having a small buffer for inflation is one thing, but to add a huge difference in their is another. If you get several competitive bids/quotes and (KEEP A COPY) you're going to be competitive.

I'd spend the time worrying on a great narrative rather than worrying about what the max is. Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can tell you that in 2004 we were awarded $1,650 per set for structural gear
    I don't know the limit either, but we were awarded $1800 per set in 2003.

Our winning narrative is available in these forums here. Turnouts are only a portion of the complete grant though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default $$ for bunker gear

I was told that it was $2,000 a set by the helpdesk in 2004. Coat, pant, helmet,and boots.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

mbristol has it right, $2,000 for a full set of PPE, hood, boots, coat, pants, gloves. With cash in hand you should be able to get all of that from any manufacturer for solid PBI gear, some even leather boots and 1010 helmets if wanted.

MembersZone Subscriber

The 2004 grant we received was adjusted down to $1200 for just the coat and pants. We were also allowed $250 per pair of boots that were a separate request. We had purchased new helmets a couple years ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got off the phone with the 'FEMA' guy.

$1,200 will be allowed for a coat and pants - This may be adjusted slightly based on market pricing.

$2,000 will be allowed for complete everything - coat, pants, helmet, gloves and boots.

My thanks go out to everyone here in the forums for all the help we've received over the years. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Stuart; 03-02-2005 at 01:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

My dept recd' a 2004 grant and our coat and pants was cut from $1300 to $1200. I think you are better off itimizing each item gloves, boots, hood, helmet.... instead of asking for $2000 for a complete set. It might not make any difference, but it has worked for several depts in my county. anyway thats just my opinion and everyone has one...

Thread Information