Thread: Airbag bust

Forum Member

Default Airbag bust

Has anyone ever had an airbag burst, it came to find when I read something about the hurst tools line busting. What would happen if it were to bust?
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

It would make a loud noise and the Chief would not be happy...

I recently had a conversation with a sales rep about airbags and was told that "Code 3" had a bag fail about 3 years ago that killed a firefighter. I do not know anything more than that... not even sure that Code 3 made airbags, but it gives you some place to start.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 02-28-2005 at 03:00 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

The salesman that Met Med spoke with was partially correct.

Code 3 does not make a LIFTING bag. ResQ Tek, who used to be Code 3, does have LIFTING bags. The salesman was correct in saying that they had a fatal incident in, I believe, 2002. Even more recently I believe Hurst had a fatal incident with their LIFTING bags just a couple of months ago that was discussed on this forum.

Both incidents were a result of user error/training. The NIOSH report has been released about the ResQ Tek NT Bags. VERY informative, you should read it. The report is a training session in itself. That incident came down to a training issue.

I don't know as much about the other incident but what I do know is that it came down to improper use.

There would probably be two people alive today if they stabilized(cribbed) the load that was being lifted.

After saying all of that, 80% of Heavy Lifting is STABILIZATION (vertically and horizontally), 10% is common sense and the other 10% is the actual LIFTING bag.

Stay Safe,

Mike

Thread Information