MembersZone Subscriber

Default What About an Airbag Underwater?

Interesting question from the Coast guard.
    - - - - -
    Dear Mr. Ron Moore,

In addition to working full-time for the Coast Guard Hovercraft unit I work part-time as a Paramedic. My interest in your research includes any studies that have been done on airbag deployment underwater. As a rescue diver, part of our role is to search and rescue people from submerged vehicles. I would like to know if there is any data and testing on underwater deployment and it's effects on divers due to shock-wave effect.

My Reply- - -
    Nothing has been done that I know of or if it has been researched, the info is not available to the public.

My gut feeling...there would be no problem. I believe the resistance of the water would so overwhelm the inflation of the airbag that the diver would be safe.

Your personnel should however remain clear of the 10', 18' and 5" inflation zones of the airbags. That's 10" for the driver's bag and 18" inches for the front passenger. The 5' refers to the fact that all side impact airbags; seat, doors, and roofs, are 5" thick when inflated.

Make sure your guys are also aware of the frontal knee bags on models since 1995.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Very interesting question. I would be curious to find out if after submerged the system would still work.
    In general we try not to enter the vehicle because of the hazard to the diver from entrapment/entanglement. And in my experience you can reach the interior with only limited penatration by the diver.

I also don't think that you would injured by a shockwave.

Often in a recovery we hook the car and have it removed prior to gaining access to the victim. That way we can preserve any evidence better. (recovery only if their is any chance we will get them out)

MembersZone Subscriber

BUMP, anyone find out any info on this?

Forum Member

I would be curious too

Forum Member

Hi

There was a case in the UK when a vehicle got stuck in a few feet of flood water, when crews went to push the vehicle out the front airbag activated, this was due to the egress of water on the electrical system.

So I would suggest that water may have an adverse effect on SRS systems

John

Forum Member

Forum Member

About a week or so ago I was driving Southbound on CA Hwy 395 and we encountered a flash flood that went on for miles. I would guess foot high at some places. So many scenarios went through my head and what if's. Once in the thick of it, there was no way out as the center divide was like a muddy lake. Luckily my lifted 4x4 made it through no problem. I think we hit the flood at the beginning as we called 911 to report it and the dispatcher was unaware of the situation. Shortly after we got to dry ground, a public service announcement came on the radio warning of the flood and the 395 was closed. As we drove on South, a caravan of BLM, USFS and other lifted brush rigs were heading North. I imagine to rescue stranded motorist. I guess this post has nothing to do with airbags, but the flash flood thing seemed to apply.

Here is a photo my wife took.

Last edited by MichaelXYZ; 08-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Thread Information