Forum Member

Default Muncie Fire Department hiring.

The City of Muncie Fire Department is now accepting applications for Firefighters. Apps. may be picked up at City Hall in the second floor personnel office. Apps. must be turned back into the personnel office by April 1st. Post any questions here and I will do my best to answer them. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Residency requirements?

MFDFF9704, Do you know if Muncie FD has any residency requirements? Do you have to live in the county or an attached county? Also does Muncie use the CPAT or thier own agility test. Zcam630

Forum Member

zcam, We use our own agility test. It's similar but with our own little twists. Any own can apply, but you must live in Delaware county or one that touches Delaware as of your start date. We will be hiring approx. 30-35 firefighters off of the next recruit list. Our base pay is $35,040 this year with medical, dental, and opptical. We respond to all your usual fire dept. runs and we provide first responder service for EMS on ALS calls only. No transports. We have 7 station and currently employ 120 people. We make around 6000 calls a year. Being an older city we catch alot of fire, (This is a good thing). Hope this info helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

MFD....do I have to go down there to pick an ap up, or will they send me one?

fieldseng2

Forum Member

Sorry Bob. All apps. must be picked up in person. You have to sign for them. Just bring all of your stuff with you and fill it out here. ( drivers license, diploma, ss card etc.) I wouldn't want to make that drive any more times than I had to. We had two guys come from pennsylvania during different recruit schools so your drive wouldn't be quite as bad as that. Let me know if I can help in any way. Bring a group down were loosing a bunch of guys and were gonna need some good firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope its due to retirements and nothing else.

Forum Member

Yes it's retirement. All that can are taking the DROP. We are loosing most of our BC's,and Captains, and ALot of Lt's and Seargents all in a short time. Don't you have guys taking the DROP also?

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately only 2. We couldn't be so lucky as to get a few more leave.

How many on average apply?

How many people on the list do you go thru ...on average to get a recruit class of lets say....15??

bob

Forum Member

Well Bob, we haven't actually done a recruit school in some time. For the last few years we have just put together a recruit list and hired off of it to fill the vacancies. Usually one or two at a time, so we would give them individual instruction for a few weeks before putting them on a truck. Then they would ride on the squad downtown for 6 months for OJT with a senior FF. But since we are going to have such a big turn over in the next few years the merit commission is talking about doing a recruit school in groups of 10 as people are hired. If this happens the way they are talking everyone will be placed on a recruit list and the school wouldn't change their place on the hiring list, just have them prepared when they come on full time. We hired I bieleve 9-10 off of the present list and we are now down to 20 somthing. I was last told that there are around 200 apps. out for this process, but not to many turned back in yet. I think last time we had 105 go through the agility, 80 something through the written, and 60 something went all the way through the interview. I have seen a sharp decline over the last few recruit processes so it wouldn't suprise me if it went down again.

One of our guys wants to know if Darren Sandilla still works up there. If so tell him he says hi from Mark.

MembersZone Subscriber

MFD,

That sounds like it'd be in my favor if I tested there. Does education and/or previous job experience make a difference?

What is the top pay for firefighter?

I'd love to stay here at HFD. I have over 11 years here, but it seems like things will never change. We have had a lot of good FFs defect to other depts. I'm on the list for St. Louis. My chances of being in the 2nd recruit class are pretty good. But, they have stalled the recruit classes since the list went up. Now I'm running out of time. The list expires in December.

Darren transferred to the police department last year. This didn't surprise anyone here. He always wanted to be a cop, was MP in the Air Force, and studied law enforcement in college. The loss was all ours, but he is happy. Darren is a friend of mine. Next time I see him I'll tell him Mark said hey.

Checked the MFD website out....pretty good. I'm a buff of the old two story enginehouses...what runs out of your #1 house? (Hope it has a brass pole... )

bob

Forum Member

Bob, With longevity base is right at $40,000 for a back-end FF. Then there is rank pay, tech pay, holiday, clothing allowance, overtime, first responder, and comp. Exact pay depends on you. We have three poles in that house. We run #1 Squad (a four man engine W/north end captain) #1 Rescue ( a three man heavy rescue W/extrication, rope, confined space, and swift water equip.) The BC buggy and our rescue boat out of that house.It also houses our utility truck, and 1 of our reserve pumpers. So there's 8 guys there every day. It's a pretty fun house with the right guys. You outa be in the basement when the trucks back in. Our web site hasn't been touched for awhile so watch for updates.

What shifts do you guys work? We work 3/4 shifts.
    Dan

MembersZone Subscriber

What's 3/4 shifts?

We work 24 on 48 off.

bob

Forum Member

3/4 shifts are 3 on 4 off. 24 hr shifts.
    so 1-on 1-off 1-on 1-off 1-on 4-off.

MembersZone Subscriber

I see..thats the same schedule my friend in St. Louis works.

I'm talking it over with the Mrs. about putting an ap in w/you guys.

MFD

Does vol. fire dept. experience count for anything in the hiring process with your dept.?

Forum Member

All previous fire and ems service counts toward your intrview score. But remember if you go in cocky like you know everything and act as if the department can't go on without you than you have wasted your time even going. I know this sounds funny but it happens every time we do a process. A large majority of the firefighters who have been hired in the last several years came from other depts., mainly volunteer.

MFD
    Thank you for your reply. Also thanks for the posting that Muncie was hiring.

Forum Member

How Long does the Muncie process normaly take? I've been in a few processes that are drawn out for a LONG time so I'm just trying to get an idea. And another question. Does the department look to hire new personnel at all age groups. Might sound dumb but I've been through a couple of processes were the department is only interested in hiring new personnel that are of older age and I'm on the younger side of the age range.(going on 22).

Thanks for any reply back!

Forum Member

I hate to burst your bubble, but this original post is a couple years old, started on 02-28-2005, 05:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 37 year old vol FF

Any one out there know what I can do to become full time at the age of 37?

Forum Member

I really hate to say it, but as of right now, you're SOL. The cutoff is 36, and that's state law. Apparently, it's in the works of being changed to 40, but until that happens, there's not much you can do other than keep training for that CPAT!

Forum Member

It's state law that if you're a member of PERF (retirement pension) that you may be no older than 36 when you first begin. Notice, that is a law about being a member of PERF. Some departments (VERY few and far between) will hire you with the understanding you can't be a member of the retirement system. I'm not sure how this is being done as it was my understanding that to be a paid firefighter in Indiana that you must also become a member of PERF, however I do know ff's who are paid, and are not members of PERF.

Also, there was a posting on the indiana firefighters union site, regarding the bill that would increase this age from 36 to 40, however it is no longer on their site. I don't know if it was dropped, passed or what not.
    Last edited by firefighter1023; 04-23-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Thread Information