Thread: msa vs. bullard

MembersZone Subscriber

Default msa vs. bullard

we are getting a tic, at this point we are setting up demo's to come in just looking to see if anyone had any pros and cons for both of these cameras.
    thanks
    michael umphrey
    ff/mfr
    higgins twp. fire/rescue
    roscommon michigan

Forum Member

Could you be a TAD more specific? Both Mfgs make several models.Also try a search as this was pretty well hashed over not too long ago. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default bullard t3

that is the first one we looked at not sure what the msa version is. those are the manufactures that we are looking at now. i was pretty impressed with the t3, and i have used a similar model by msa in the field and it worked very well for what we were using it for at the time.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might want to look at the new MSA 5000 TIC. It is similar in size to the T3, but fits better in your hand. The T3 you have to put your hand in a velcro strap to secure it. As far as the image and options go, I think they are the same. We chose the MSA strictly on ease of use.

MembersZone Subscriber

My old dept went with the MSA 5000 as well. It has a clip that let's you hang the TIC off your pack, its real lite you hardly know its there. Easy to handle and show others what your looking at. Good image and the in truck charger is real nice. The charge is hard wired in, also has extra battery slot and a strap to keep it in place. No case to dig through the TIC is right next to you ready to go.

Mike
    Last edited by CLEARVIEW82; 03-10-2005 at 06:44 AM.

Forum Member

The T3 offers the same gear keeper option as the 5000.I've used both these cameras and find them both operator friendly.Both are what I consider "down and dirty"cameras,which will do a good job for you. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-10-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Forum Member

MSA 4100, has the same "imager engine" as the 5000, but in a larger format. A screen large enough for a few FF's to see, not just one.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks for the input!

we decided to go with the bullard t-3, cost was an issue for us and i guess the demo from the rep, didn't hurt either! and i did print all the replies on this thread and some other threads to help also. thanks again!
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Protective Economist

Originally posted by Bones42
    MSA 4100, has the same "imager engine" as the 5000, but in a larger format. A screen large enough for a few FF's to see, not just one.
    The small format TIs use a 3.5" screen; the large format have a 4 or 5" screen. A team of 2 can easily use a 3.5" screen. If you need a team of 3 to view the screen, realize you have to add upwards of 4 lbs. to the weight of the TI to move to large format.

For an engine company humping hose and carrying a few tools, the trade off may not be worth it. For a well-manned truck company, the extra weight may not be an issue.

For anyone evaluating TIs, remember that almost every positive or feature has a coinciding trade-off. You need to balance the trade-offs with your department's individual needs and operational practices.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Very true jb, it does add a couple pounds. Right now I am blessed with full staffing. I haven't touched a hose in the last few fires and have been able to "supervise" my hose teams actions.

You need to balance the trade-offs with your department's individual needs and operational practices.
    Right on!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Good choice

mic409 you guys made a good choice, we did the same and went with the T-3 Max
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

MembersZone Subscriber

Default t-3

we are a small dept. with only one class a pumper, that is also our rescue. so our initial house team is more than likely going to be and usually is going to be search and rescue, we just don't have the resources, and can't always wait for mutual aid to show up to have two teams for. 1 for hose team, and one for rescue! so the smaller light weight camera is what we decided to with, and bullard was just an easy choice. i don't really think there is a wrong way to go when getting a tool that can save lives. that is just my own personal opinion, and i don't know alot about the technologies behind these cameras i just have read and know a little bit about potential benefits.
    michael umphrey
    roscommon,mi

MembersZone Subscriber

Default sog's?

okay now that i have gotten your help, on brands of tic's what about sog's. that is my dept. task for this week. just looking for some key points that i may miss. i have a few rough drafts.
    michael umphrey
    roscommon,mi

Thread Information