Exclamation Hale Relief Valve

Has anyone experienced any problems with a Hale Relief Valve on recently purchased apparataus. We have recently purchased Four new trucks, 2 engines, 2 tankers, with hale pumps and so far 3 out of 4 of them are not functioning. The relief valve light will indicate it is open, but the pressure is allowed to increase.

Forum Member

never trust the light. just because the light does not work properly doesn't mean theres something wrong with the relief valve. when we do our promotional exams here, one of the first things the examiner does is cover up the relief valve light and make the candidate set the valve without the use of the light.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have Hale Valves on both engines and yes I have had some problems with them sticking in the open and closed positions. I am by no means an expert and advise you to contact your truck manufacturer.

With that said, the relief valve only dumps water from the discharge side back into the intake side. If you are not flowing water out of the system, (hose line or deck gun) the pressure doesn’t drop much and will increase if you increase engine rpm.

On our pumps, the light comes on the moment the valve piston begins to move from it's closed position. There is quite a distance between fully open and fully closed. Yours may be opening only slightly and then sticking as our does sometimes. I have found they work best if used regularly. I will crank them all the way to low pressure and up until they close at least once a month.

Also keep in mind that they are relief valves and not pressure regulators. Their purpose is to prevent excessive pressures, not control your pump pressure.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

Are they being exercised often? If they are not being used many times trach will accumulate.

Also, a relief valve helps to decrease a surge in pressure but is not meant to totally eliminate it. If the increase is strong, the relief valve cannot overcome it.

They are brand new trucks. I have not tried while flowing water, still too cold to play with water here, but i will try while flowing a line.

Forum Member

FireResq83 ,

We have Hale relief valves on our older trucks and there is one rule of thumb that has yet to be discussed. In order for the relief valve to work properly, a 50 PSI difference must be maintained between intake pressure and discharge pressure. The discharge pressure must be at least 50 PSI greater. When the handlines become overpressured (someone shuts down, hydrant comes in etc.) excess pressure forces a slide valve to open dumping this excess pressure back into the intake side of the firepump. If the 50 PSI difference is not maintained, the pressure on the intake side of the piston may not be overcome by the disharge overpressure. I will try and attach a picture to help clarify.

Thread Information