Forum Member

Thumbs down What IS it about Sacramento?

It isn't just the firefighters.... geeez.

Cops: Teacher Has Sex with Pupil While Baby in Car

Forum Member

Teacher is arraigned on sex charges

Under the glare of a throng of news photographers and gawkers, intern teacher Margaret De Barraicua was arraigned Monday in Sacramento Superior Court on four felony counts of having sex with her 16-year-old student.
    The 30-year-old De Barraicua, who is free on $20,000 bail, appeared in the crowded courtroom dressed conservatively in a black coat, pink blouse and black skirt. De Barraicua, whose arrest has drawn widespread attention with stories published in several languages nationwide and in Europe, didn't enter a plea.

Although she looked calm despite the row of eight cameras focused on her, De Barraicua did not speak when Judge Gary E. Ransom read the charges.

De Barraicua is accused of having sex with the McClatchy High School student four times from Sept. 1 to Feb. 19, when she was arrested. Police found her with the student in a parked car behind Leonardo Da Vinci Elementary School.
    De Barraicua, who has been on paid administrative leave, faces punishment if convicted that ranges from probation to three years in prison.

Under the penal code, she is accused of having sexual intercourse with a minor more than three years younger than she, a crime which is considered a "wobbler" under criminal law, meaning it can be prosecuted and sentenced as either a felony or a misdemeanor.

Police have said they believe the teacher and the male student had an "ongoing consensual sexual relationship."

Police reported they received a complaint of a suspicious tan Nissan Maxima shortly after 5 p.m. Feb. 19 and found the car with the windows steamed up.

Inside they found De Barraicua, the teenager and, strapped into a safety seat, the woman's 2-year-old child. After the arrest, the 2-year-old was handed over to the custody of the father.

Defense attorney Philip Cozens said after the court hearing that his client cooperated with officers when questioned.

"She is very concerned about the welfare of the young man and is very sorry about this entire incident," Cozens said.

Deputy District Attorney Kevin Higgins obtained an order from Ransom prohibiting De Barraicua from contacting the victim.

School officials described the boy as a language and arts student whom De Barraicua had taught since September, when she started her paid internship at McClatchy High.

At the arraignment, aside from the usual number of defendants facing their first court appearances, the courtroom was filled with court administrators, filing clerks, secretaries and interpreters, and standing against the walls was a larger than normal contingent of sheriff's deputies.

Defense attorney Charles E. Bauer, who appeared in court for Cozens, who was out of town at the time of the arraignment, declined comment.

As Bauer, De Barraicua and a half-dozen of her family and friends left the courtroom, a crowd of photographers chased them down the hall and out of the courthouse.

De Barraicua's arraignment follows those of other female teachers across the country who have been arrested recently on similar charges.

In San Mateo County, a female teacher was arrested last month after DNA tests confirmed a former student - then 16 - had fathered her child, now 2.

De Barraicua is expected back in court March 14.

MembersZone Subscriber

She's only sorry, because she got caught. Lock up the perv, and throw away the key! As a teacher, I find her behavior absolutely despicable! As a mother, if that were my son, I'd slap a lawsuit on her so fast it would make her head spin!

Forum Member

Originally posted by kentbwj
    She's only sorry, because she got caught. Lock up the perv, and throw away the key! As a teacher, I find her behavior absolutely despicable! As a mother, if that were my son, I'd slap a lawsuit on her so fast it would make her head spin!
    What about teaching your son to keep it in his pants?

It's not like her son didn't know that it was illegal, he's just as much at fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Res343cue

What about teaching your son to keep it in his pants?

It's not like her son didn't know that it was illegal, he's just as much at fault.
    And if it was a 30 year old male teacher with a 16 year old girl you would say the same?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

How is that any different?

16 year old girl, or a 16 year old boy...Both have the knowledge to know right from wrong we would hope, and most should have the common sense to use it. Both should have known better.

Something bugs me about all these cases...We can throw someone in jail and fine them for sex with a minor, but that still leaves the minor on "East Street". They were 50% of breaking the law, why aren't they at fault for this too?
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

How is that any different?

16 year old girl, or a 16 year old boy...Both have the knowledge to know right from wrong we would hope, and most should have the common sense to use it. Both should have known better.

Something bugs me about all these cases...We can throw someone in jail and fine them for sex with a minor, but that still leaves the minor on "East Street". They were 50% of breaking the law, why aren't they at fault for this too?
    Knowledge is different then maturity and experiance. A 30 year old male or female going after a 16 year old is a predator, pure and simple. Just like a college senior will always think, "If I knew my freshman year, what I know know, i would have had a much better social life my freshman year". Those 30 year olds are actually applying that principle in the extreme. The 16 year old in this case is the victem, not a partner in crime, it is that simple and straight forward.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

The 16 year old in this case is the victem, not a partner in crime, it is that simple and straight forward.
    I agree with you, the 16 year old is a victim. But on the flip side of this, an "ongoing consensual sexual relationship." was what the investigation found the not so legal relations to be. In this case, I'd say the young man was just as much at fault. It does take two-to-Tango, and the young man obviously could dance.

I'm sure there are outside factors in most of these cases, like the roll of the "power figure" being able to take advantage of the victim.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I agree with you, the 16 year old is a victim. But on the flip side of this, an "ongoing consensual sexual relationship." was what the investigation found the not so legal relations to be. In this case, I'd say the young man was just as much at fault. It does take two-to-Tango, and the young man obviously could dance.

I'm sure there are outside factors in most of these cases, like the roll of the "power figure" being able to take advantage of the victim.
    So, since Elizabeth Smart never ran from her abductors even when they were in public, she is partially at fault for her kidnapping?

The two to tango does not apply, because only one was mature enough to be able to make the proper choice here, unfortuantely she did not.
    -Big Russ

does anyone here remember being 16 and having an absolutly gorgeous teacher? I do and I remember what i thought about her too! so this so called victim, hes not a victim he was probably loving it. why wouldnt he He's banging the chick all the guys talk about banging. he is at fault.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Forum Member

Originally posted by N8sfd333
    does anyone here remember being 16 and having an absolutly gorgeous teacher? I do and I remember what i thought about her too! so this so called victim, hes not a victim he was probably loving it. why wouldnt he He's banging the chick all the guys talk about banging. he is at fault.
    wow, and I thought I was the only one thinking that. a 16 year old banging a 30 year old woman? isn't that like every high schoolers dream? frequent sex with your teacher? morally it's wrong, but I can't see him complaining about it (but I can see him telling all his friends).

the only messed up thing about this situation was she was doing it with her 2 year old son in the car too. that's just wrong
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by N8sfd333
    You have to be kidding.....

The mear fact that he is at an age were he can't control himself, and the fact that the teacher knows it, makes him the victem. Would be the same if the sexes were reversed.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    wow, and I thought I was the only one thinking that. a 16 year old banging a 30 year old woman? isn't that like every high schoolers dream? frequent sex with your teacher? morally it's wrong, but I can't see him complaining about it (but I can see him telling all his friends).

the only messed up thing about this situation was she was doing it with her 2 year old son in the car too. that's just wrong

Heck...when I was in 8th grade I wanted to, well you know, with my science teacher.

Opps, did I just say that
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

does anyone here remember being 16 and having an absolutly gorgeous teacher? I do and I remember what i thought about her too!
    Wasn't gonna touch on that subject....

Heck...when I was in 8th grade I wanted to, well you know, with my science teacher.

Opps, did I just say that
    Or that one either.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Thinking about having a sexual relationship with your teacher isn't wrong.
    Following through with what you are thinking IS wrong.
    There are so many ways for that to go wrong that it boggles the mind.
    The teacher was willing to cross the moral/ethical line to have sex with a kid. You have to wonder why she harbors these thoughts at age 30. I am sure it wasn't even a consideration when she was, oh, say 20. Or was she thinking about it with a 6 year old? Doubtful.
    Someone willing to destroy their life for self gratification has to be a little squirrelly and half past nuts.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

District Chief

When I was 16.....none.....not a single one.....of my teachers was anywhere close to being gorgeous!!!!!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Originally posted by captstanm1
    When I was 16.....none.....not a single one.....of my teachers was anywhere close to being gorgeous!!!!!
    I was lucky to have one exception. About 5' 9" thin with blond hair and bright blue eyes. Fresh out of college, it was her first teaching job. Oh my...

Excuse me, I need to take a cold shower
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Permanently Removed

Default Living in Sacramento...

I live in Sacramento County and all I can say is it gets
    hot here in the summer months. Other than that, I cant
    explain it.

I have my own theory, but decline to share.

Thread Information