Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default FYI ............sad news

Retired Chief Donald "Donnie" Smothers of the Lake Twp (Wood County) FD is in Hospice and does not have a good prognosis. I went and saw him today with one of their Asst. District Chiefs. Please keep him and his family in your prayers.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thoughts & prayers....

from Portage County. Keep us posted on details.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

MembersZone Subscriber

The Chief and his family will be in my thoughts.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Will keep him in our thoughts and prayers, also. Weruj1, keep us posted o.k.?
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rest in Peace Brother

Article published March 25, 2005

Firefighter was chief for Walbridge, Lake

Donald A. Smothers, 76, a firefighter for more than 50 years who was chief of the Walbridge Fire Department and, later, of the Lake Township Fire Department, died of pancreatic cancer Wednesday in Hospice of Northwest Ohio, Perrysburg Township.
    Mr. Smothers retired from the Lake Township department in 1994. He advocated the merger of the former Walbridge and Millbury departments, which took place after voters in November, 1990, approved levies to pay for emergency services. He was put in charge.

He became chief of the Walbridge volunteer fire department in 1972, succeeding longtime Chief Lester "Whitey" Weiker.

Mr. Smothers adapted to changes in firefighting techniques and advances in training. The Walbridge department got a 75-foot aerial truck while he was chief and moved from its old quarters - a cramped station with two 8-feet-wide garage doors - to modern facilities.

"It was all his doing," said Marv Savage, who retired four years ago as Walbridge district chief of the Lake Township Fire Department. "He always looked ahead."

Mr. Smothers also helped the township land full-time paramedic and ambulance service in 1986 through a contract with St. Charles Hospital in Oregon.

Mr. Smothers was 15 and a Walbridge High School student when he was recruited for the Walbridge department.

"That was during the war, and many of the men were off to war, and they didn't have enough people to maintain the department," his wife said.

Mr. Smothers worked at the Libbey-Owens-Ford Co. for 38 years, mostly at the East Broadway facility, as a shipping clerk. He retired in 1985.

Surviving are his wife, Pat, whom he married May 5, 1951; daughter, Sheri Henning; brothers, Robert, Andrew, and James; sister, Norma Lee "Tiz" Williams, and eight grandchildren.

The body will be in the Witzler-Shank Mortuary, Walbridge, after 6 p.m. Sunday, with a firefighters service at 7 p.m. Monday in the mortuary. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday in St. Jerome Church, Walbridge, of which he was a longtime member.

The family suggests tributes to the Lake Township Fire Department station 1 memorial fund; the Hospice of Northwest Ohio, or St. Jerome Church.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thanks Moe..I got word early this am ...............but the person wasnt sure of the final arrangements.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default 50 Years of Service!

My condolences to his family, friends and the members of Lake Township Fire Department and Walbridge Fire Department.

Lasting legacy - Chief Smothers will undoubtedly be known as an important part of the history of both these departments. Reading about his accomplishments is awe-inspiring.

Rest in peace, Chief Smothers
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information