MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bunker Gear replacement

Do any of your departments have written plans for periodic replacement of Bunket gear bases on age of garment?

Forum Member

We have been trying to replace ours every 5 to 6 years on average. If there is a written plan, it's on a need to know basis, and apparently I don't need to know...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Replacement of gear

Same here Gonzo. We try to do it at around the 5yr point. Obviously sooner if needed.
    Captain/EMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

No plan, we usually have to go on TV and embarass the administration before they will replace it.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Every 3-5 years with the old set kept as back up.

MembersZone Subscriber

The five year thing seems to be an agreed upon time frame by the gear manufacturers. I seem to have heard it from quite a few when we went to our board to propose just such a plan.

Having said that, I have some Globe sets from '99 that are like new, due to the folks wearing it never doing anything. But that's another topic...
    Last edited by npfd801; 03-09-2005 at 10:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our gear is replaced on an as needed basis, due to the limited number of actual fires they are used for. Mostly worn on accidents, and tank battery fires, they are not really exposed to heat very often.

Most generally, they are replaced due to extreme rips and tears, or contamination beyond cleaning.

Old sets are retained for new members.

Forum Member

Three year plan. But the department is broken into thirds. One third gets it year one, the second third gets it year two, the third gets it years three. Then the cycle starts again.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im on a volly department but anything wrong with your gear , or if its old enough take it up to our equipment chief and he replaces your gear no problem at all , its kind of sweet just got brand new fire dex , 3 months ago and already Ive worn through the top of my boots down to the metal and its so diry and already wearing in certain places but Ive also , been doing alot of training , and running 110 calls each month alone. So look like Ill need new gear again and give my old stuff to the kids in the academy.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

We get our gear replace on a as needed basis aswell. We have our Safety B/C or C/O's inspect our gear once a month or after a major incident. Or when we notice something wrong. At that time they replace our gear.

Forum Member

We generally budget 10 replacements sets per year, which means with our average force of 50-60 volunteers, you can expect new gear every 5-6 years.

Forum Member

Default gear replacement

Is there an actual NFPA standard on gear replacement due to age, etc?

MembersZone Subscriber

Career is every 5 years or as needed. Volunteer is ongoing, about 8 sets a year, more active guys may get gear every three and it is recycled through the less active if still serviceable.

Forum Member

My department has an inspection program for the PPE and its replaced on an as needed basis.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Replaced on an as needed basis. But if you still have 3/4 boots you may wear them. However they will only replace with bunkers. We have some gear that is about 8 yrs old.

Thread Information