Forum Member

Default Wellness / Fitness Program Stats

Anybody have any statistics pre / post fitness program?

Looking for comparisons of injury rates, time loss comparisons, sick leave use comparisons, etc.

I'm well versed in the need, but the city's admin and finance people love stats and $ figures.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

My department just started a wellness / fitness program so I don't have any numbers to share. Our program startup was funded with a Fire Act grant. Some anecdotal evidence of success, though:

In the initial medical exam, four individuals (out of a 45 man department)were disgnosed with potentially life-threatening medical conditions. Three have had heart cath's and one has undergone triple bypass surgery. The firefighter with the triple bypass would likely have been a LODD this year had he not had the stress test.

I would say that our wellness program has paid for itself many times over before the first treadmill was purchased.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Our AFG for '05 will be for a full wellness / fitness program. It will be mandatory for all uniformed personnel.

My department is career with 88 line personnel. We have offered stress tests on a voluntary basis for about 12 years and have identified 6 of our personnel with cardiac problems- 5 stents and 1 bypass.

Thread Information