Thread: Garage Fires

MembersZone Subscriber

A few questions and comments from a rookie on the first pic.

1 Why do we only have 500 gallons to work with? Our first due Engine has 1000 gallons of water plus two 30 gallon foam tanks.

2 Why arn't some people suggesting that the first Engine due not hook the hydrant and charge the line before the hydrant guy goes back to the Engine.

What I would do in pic 1 as a newbie with a full crew of 6.
    1 Drop 1 man at hydrant.
    2 stop the engine with cab just past B side in order to get the best angle with deck gun and allow for a 3 side view. Making sure to leave enough room for the ladder or second engine.
    3 Have 2 guys stretch a 1 3/4 speedlay to the door. While having another stretch the trash line off the front to prep for backup of the two on the speedlay.
    4 As the officer in this sittuation I would proceed to hook up the 4" suppley from the hydrant to the pump.
    5 Radio the hydrant man to Charge line and return to the engine(Provided second engine or the truck hasn't yet arrived.
    6 All two lines are now laid to the front door I would then have the operator charge lines with foam and make my way to the guy with the trash line to back him up.
    7 Speedlay team entersthe front door while the pump operator hits the garage with foam from the deck gun.
    8 Do a primary search
    This is my opinion and in no way represtents the opinion of my department.

Forum Member

IF, and I mean IF, we know where the fire is located, we will stretch dry to the fire room. Otherwise, it will usually be charged at the point of entry. Again, this depends on the situation. Not too long ago, we got called for a structure fire. On arrival, medium smoke was coming from the attic vents on one end of the house. We dry stretched to the pull down stairs on the third floor. On another call, we were again dispatched to a structure fire, medium smoke coming from first floor windows. Line was charged at front door when we made entry, fire was in back room down the hallway.

Peetmoss, just my quick thoughts.
    8) Primary search - after all the previous steps, it's probably too late. Your lines are committed and there is very little chance you can do a valid rapid primary search dragging two hose lines around.

7) You have lines inside with guys working and you are going to use a deluge gun with foam from the outside? That will push an incredible amount of smoke and heat inside on those teams. And while they are searching, they will not be able to have any chance of containing that fire that's getting pushed on them.

Again, just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Bones42; 07-28-2005 at 10:19 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Peetmoss
    A few questions and comments from a rookie on the first pic.

1 Why do we only have 500 gallons to work with? Our first due Engine has 1000 gallons of water plus two 30 gallon foam tanks.

2 Why arn't some people suggesting that the first Engine due not hook the hydrant and charge the line before the hydrant guy goes back to the Engine.

What I would do in pic 1 as a newbie with a full crew of 6.
    1 Drop 1 man at hydrant.
    2 stop the engine with cab just past B side in order to get the best angle with deck gun and allow for a 3 side view. Making sure to leave enough room for the ladder or second engine.
    3 Have 2 guys stretch a 1 3/4 speedlay to the door. While having another stretch the trash line off the front to prep for backup of the two on the speedlay.
    4 As the officer in this sittuation I would proceed to hook up the 4" suppley from the hydrant to the pump.
    5 Radio the hydrant man to Charge line and return to the engine(Provided second engine or the truck hasn't yet arrived.
    6 All two lines are now laid to the front door I would then have the operator charge lines with foam and make my way to the guy with the trash line to back him up.
    7 Speedlay team entersthe front door while the pump operator hits the garage with foam from the deck gun.
    8 Do a primary search
    Couple things
    I can see the forward lay into the fire, I have no problem with that especially in limited manpower situations.

Problem with having your officer hooking up hose is that its taking him away from doing his walk around and continually sizing up the building.

not sure how long your trash line on the front bumper is but most I have seen are 100ft which would most likely leave you short.

A good rule of thumb that I usually use is to get one line in place and operating properly before you get the second line going. Now this is for an engine company, if you have two or three engines on scene then by all means get the second line streched BUT another great rule of thumb is if you need a second line dont make it smaller or the same size as your first line. If you pulled an 1-3/4 for your first and its not doing the job, pull a duece and a half.

If you were to do #7 there is no rush on #8 since you more than likly dont have any survivers.

If an engineer was to spay a deck gun into a fire building when I was inside you can bet your *** IF I made it out alive I would not be very happy.

As bones said you push all the icky bad sh*t back inside on the crew and victims, which makes everything go bad.
    Last edited by cdemarse; 07-28-2005 at 07:17 PM.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the answers CD.

You make some very good points about the deck gun and the officer, and the backup line.
    This is my opinion and in no way represtents the opinion of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

no problem bro

The day that we stop learning is the day we need to retire
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

Last Thursday I heard a news that in West Seattle fire destroys well furnished detached garage storage. It is very glad that one got hurt but the damage caused to building was almost $180,000. The cause of fire is still undetermined as those investigators were unable to enter the garage. Those flames were visible from long distance itself..Such situation needs to be avoided. Sometimes it may be due to short circuiting too.

Forum Member

Last Thursday I heard a news that in West Seattle fire destroys well furnished detached garage storage. Only one got hurt but the damage caused to building was almost $180,000. The cause of fire is still undetermined as those investigators were unable to enter the garage. Those flames were visible from long distance itself..Such situation needs to be avoided. Sometimes it may be due to short circuiting too.
    Last edited by MichaelWestV; 02-20-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelWestV View Post
    Last Thursday I heard a news that in West Seattle fire destroys well furnished detached garage storage. Only one got hurt but the damage caused to building was almost $180,000. The cause of fire is still undetermined as those investigators were unable to enter the garage. Those flames were visible from long distance itself..Such situation needs to be avoided. Sometimes it may be due to short circuiting too.
    And and and and

Maybe it was the SPAM stored in there

Thread Information