Thread: I got a ?

Default I got a ?

What is a "whacker"? I hear some of you all call other members or some of the things they are trying to get off the ground like the firefighter bands but I still dont get what it totally means. I have a pretty good idea but i just need to clarify.
    Do what you have to do for everyone to go home
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff

September 11th All gave some, some gave all Fever Forget!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Look around, you may have one in your department. Do you have a member (especially in a volunteer department) who wears a pager, scanner,portable radio, trauma shears, FD badge etc. on his (or her) belt everywhere he goes?

He might be a whacker....

Does his entire wardrobe consist of fire department T-shirts, or worse, the "I Fight What You Fear" variety of novelty tees?

He might be a whacker...

Does he have a 48" light bar, 6 antennas, strobes and dash light on his '91 Chevy Corsica?

He might be a whacker...

Does he listen to his scanner incessantly so he can "jump" calls with neighboring departments?

Are you beginning to feel slightly offended because YOU display many of these traits?

YOU might be a whacker....

I'm not sure where the term came from, but it's thrown around a lot in here....Anybody?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Forum Member

Talking

In my part of Kentucky, we do not use the term "whacker" we
    use the term squirrel.

Forum Member

Co. 1--

If you haven't gotten it yet, a "whacker" is a person who is so ate up with firefighting that they think about or do nothing else. These people may or may not have good intentions, but MOST are just in it for the show...they want everyone to know that they're firefighters, so they wear t-shirts that say "hero" and buy stock in Motorola...they are the glory-seekers who will knock people out of the way to get their picture in the paper at a call or to be on the news.

"Whacker" should not be mistaken for "proud firefighter" or "dedicated volunteer." I know lots of poeple who wear fire-rescue shirts all the time but are very careful not to wear any of the "hero" type deals. I also know people who have as many as 3 pagers...one guy in particular because he works for the squad, is on a volly dept., and is also a member of the local SAR outfit. HE is NOT a whacker, just loves to volunteer. You'll know a whacker when ya see one...these are the people who brag about how good they are but when the tones drop they get so excited you think you're going to have to do CPR when they go cardiac on ya...

I have never heard the term used in WV...just kinda roll our eyes and shake our heads say they're "ate up"...with the fire dept. that is...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

...they are the glory-seekers who will knock people out of the way to get their picture in the paper at a call or to be on the news.
    Not necessarily....I find in many cases the real "whacker" types are curiously difficult to find when the stuff's really hitting the fan....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

True, very true...but around here anyway, the call is usually about done by the time the media comes around. We get the kind that are tailboard jockeys during the action then pretend to have done something for the cameras.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

Media? What media? Around here we'd have to be on scene for a couple of hours before the local media even got wind that there was something going on. I can probably count on one hand in my 16 years doing this that we ever had to deal with the media.

We have the opposite problem. No coverage. We had two related arson fires last month that made the local papers. Do they call the fire department for information? Of course not. They called the sheriff's office and got a couple of nice quotes from the sheriff about the circumstances of the fire, the investigation is continuing, etc. Not once did they attempt to contact the fire department for information about this FIRE! ....Maybe it's our fault, perhaps we should develop a better PR program....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

OK. thanks guys I got it. It was pretty much what i thought it was but ok.We definatly have a few whackers in my company and in the other companies in my county. There is a kid at my school who wears a t-shirt that says "no one can force me to run into burning buildings, I'm a volunteer" shirt and carries his scanner with him everywere and we are not allowed to respond from school unless the chief calls the priciple to release us from class, which has only happened one time, or when the school catches on fire, which happened twice in two days, so we were allowed to do our jobs a juniors.
    Do what you have to do for everyone to go home
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff

September 11th All gave some, some gave all Fever Forget!

Sr. Information Officer

Talking

Oh my gawd...have you seen this?Whacker Page
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    Oh my gawd...have you seen this?Whacker Page
    A Whacker's Amusement Park... I can't even concentrate with all those flashing lights.

Forum Member

Originally posted by dmleblanc
    Look around, you may have one in your department. Do you have a member (especially in a volunteer department) who wears a pager, scanner,portable radio, trauma shears, FD badge etc. on his (or her) belt everywhere he goes?

Lol, you mean like the one kid in my company who wears not one, but TWO, CPR masks on his belt everywhere he goes? Lol....the thing that makes it even more funny is the fact that he's taken the EMT test at least six times and can't seem to pass it....

MembersZone Subscriber

Around here a whacker is a paid firefighter that volunteers somewhere.

Forum Member

There are career wackers, too..

The guy who rolls up in his Ford Excursion, because that's what NYC battalion chiefs use, with an IAFF front bumper plate, and three IAFF stickers on his rear window. He gets out wearing his IAFF polo shirt, goes back and gets out his IAFF golf bag complete with IAFF golf club covers....

You get the point

There are wackers on all of the ends of the pay scale.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

"The guy who rolls up in his Ford Excursion, because that's what NYC battalion chiefs use, with an IAFF front bumper plate, and three IAFF stickers on his rear window. He gets out wearing his IAFF polo shirt, goes back and gets out his IAFF golf bag complete with IAFF golf club covers.... "

Thats funny.....I used to work up in Montana at one of their few paid departments and we had a few of these guys. It seemed the only reason they worked at the fire department was so that they could be in the union. But when it came doing the job it was a joke.

MCFFPM

Forum Member

we call them bumper-monkeys down here. five minutes into the fire you can find them sitting on the front bumper rehabin' because "my air pack f---d up man"

District Chief

Brother NJ....that is too funny!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Default They're everywhere

It's like an epidemic or a plauge. There are diffrent levels of "The Wacker" Some of my favorites I see everyday when I come into the Station to work. {Career Guy in a Volunteer Station}

The EMS Wacker with the BDU Pants that carry everything short of an AED.

The two Scissor Holders, Glove Pouches, Key Chains, and pagers

....."I need all this to do my job....."

The "NO FEAR" Stickers on the helmets

The guy who transfered from one company to another and claims he was qualified to do this, that, and everything under the sun - come to find out that he was basically tossed out for being a pain in the a** and wasn't certified to pick up an axe let alone drive apparatus as he says he was qualified to do

Even as a paid guy I guess I could be considered a wacker....Why ? I love my job...Not afraid to admit it. I'll wax trucks, clean the fire house and where the uniform every shift right down to the badge and name plate and I love to make the runs.

Yet there are idiots out there and I guess Every company has one or two

Forum Member

Default Re: They're everywhere

Originally posted by BD6413
    Yet there are idiots out there and I guess Every company has one or two
    ...or three, or four...some of us are just lucky I guess...
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by peon30
    we call them bumper-monkeys down here.
    HAH! Haven't heard that one yet.....but I like it.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

We also have a "Bumper Monkey", never fails!!!!!!! No matter how many times we have SCBA training his never works right.......
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

NJFFSA16

You think I can get soem of those sounds links for ringtones...

What do you call a FD Whacker that is now a Part time Deputy and is wearing a combination of FD and SO Clothing including gun.
    Thanks
    DM

Forum Member

Originally posted by MacInnis
    NJFFSA16

You think I can get soem of those sounds links for ringtones...

What do you call a FD Whacker that is now a Part time Deputy and is wearing a combination of FD and SO Clothing including gun.
    a confused whacker!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Re: I got a ?

Originally posted by co1junior
    What is a "whacker"? I hear some of you all call other members or some of the things they are trying to get off the ground like the firefighter bands but I still dont get what it totally means. I have a pretty good idea but i just need to clarify.
    Well, lets put it this way. You guys run with Dargan??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Dear Lord please do not let me see anyone where this shirt...
    and if I do, please restrain me from saying something. Tell me you haven't really seen this shirt?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information