Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Unhappy Firefighters involved in MVA

Last night about 8:20 we were just wrapping up our weekly training. A few of the guys were leaving and the rest of us retired to the office for the usual BS session. A few minutes later we got toned out for an MVA with injuries. En route we were informed that Air Med had already been dispatched.

We had no idea what had just happened.

Upon arrival we were shocked to find that the occupants were two of our own firefighters, who had left the station just moments before. The pickup truck they were in had left the roadway, hit a culvert and flipped. Firefighters Eric "Zeek" Landry and Judd Talbot were both seriously injured. Zeek was pinned in the truck, Judd was lying the the front yard of a residence a few feet away.

After extrication, Zeek was transported by ground to Thibodaux Regional Medical Center. Judd was airlifted to Our Lady of the Lake Trauma Center in Baton Rouge. As of this evening, Zeek has been diagnosed with a couple of broken ribs and a contusion on his liver. Judd is much worse off. He suffered severe facial trauma, a collapsed lung, broken ribs, tib-fib fracture, and a wrist fracture. At last report he had been sedated and placed on a ventilator. They hope to begin to wean him off the ventilator tonight.

Please keep our firefighters in your thoughts and prayers.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

My thoughts and prayers are with Zeek and Judd. May their recoveries be speedy and complete.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

I will certainly keep Zeek and Judd and all the firefighters at Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department in my thoughts and prayers as these two firefighters begin to make their recoveries.

Sorry to hear of this. I hope they recover soon and they are in my thoughts.

Chief, Zeek and Judd, and your entire department are in my thoughts, I wish them both a speedy recovery...
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Unhappy

We will keep Eric and Judd in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Chief, please keep us posted.

Mark
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

That has to be a firefighters worst nightmare, showing up at a scene involving your own. I pray for you and your department and the boys that they may make it through and back in service soon.

~Jeff
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

thoughts and prayers from the west coast

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Thoughts and prayers going out for your department.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

We're holding a good thought for your boys chief.

Good luck in your recovery, Judd and Zeek.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I will say a couple of prayers for them.

Thanks for your kind thoughts and concerns, everyone...

I visited Eric yesterday and he is doing well...he's in some pain from the ribs and internals, but nothing seriously wrong with him. I think they may have moved him out of ICU by now.

I just got an update on Judd a little while ago, and he's doing better. They took him off the ventilator last night and he's breathing well on his own. They removed the ET tube and performed a temporary tracheotomy in preparation for facial surgery tomorrow. They're beginning to remove the sedation and he's starting to communicate a little, but still pretty groggy. I'm told he has managed to flip off the doctors a couple of times, so I think he's going to be alright

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. I will try to visit Judd tomorrow and I'll keep you posted.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thanks for the update, Dwayne. Let us know if there are any changes.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

I'm told he has managed to flip off the doctors a couple of times, so I think he's going to be alright
    Sounds like he's going to be just fine.

Hope your guys continue to improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Well, things are looking better. Eric was released from the hospital on Friday, sore but with no really serious injuries. I visited Judd Friday evening, and although he looks really bad he's doing better. His face is still really swollen and they have the trach in place, but the facial surgery won't be until late this week, after the swelling goes down some. He can't talk right now but can communicate with a note pad, so they don't think there's any brain injury. He's had a plate installed in his left wrist and the leg is not broken. They're keeping him pretty loopy on painkillers and he's being fed through a tube, but overall the prognosis is good...it's just going to take a while.

Thanks again for all your concern,
    Dwayne
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thanks for the update. I will continue to keep all the members of your deparment in my thoughts and prayers and hope that Eric and Judd continue to make progress in their recovery.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief,

Eric and Judd and all of you are in my prayers. I'm glad to hear that they're both doing better, although it sounds like Judd must be pretty uncomfortable. Best wishes to everyone.

Forum Member

Chief, your firefighters are in our thoughts and prayers up here in north Louisiana. Keep us updated.

I know how you are feeling as two years we responded not once, but twice to members of our department who were shot. One of them turned out to be quite serious and spent several weeks in the hospital. And then in October, I had a heart attack while training in Longview TX .... good thing we all have medical training huh ???

Chief,

My thoughts and prayers are with the injured brothers from your department.

I wish them a speedy and complete recovery.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information