View Poll Results: Who is better to work for? The government or private companies?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Government

16 94.12%
  • Private Company

1 5.88%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Seasonal Wildland Firefighting

Hey everyone. I'm 18 years old and getting my NWCG S-130 and S-190 certifications this May and I'm interested in doing some wildland firefighting this summer to make some money. I don't have any experience, but I know that a lot of the time you don't even need it. I've been to the Department of Forestry website and I am going to contact the different forestry offices to see if they're hiring. I'm also interested in being hired on with a private company, but I have no idea how to find them. I just want to make some money firefigthing this summer and I would love if you had any advice to give to help me out. Thanks!
    Last edited by SteevinHaze; 03-04-2005 at 11:19 AM.

Sr. Information Officer

Here's a couple of sources. Have you tried searching the web for wildland firefighting contractors?

http://www.wildfire.ca/employment.html

http://www.firestormfire.com/employment/faq.html
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 03-03-2005 at 01:19 AM.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Do you live in Oregon? Greyback Forestry Inc. has alot of work around there(John Day area) that is if you have a difficult time getting on a govie crew. Greyback has housing(trailers) in John Day also.

firefighter

Default kentucky

im lookin for a wildland firefighting job i now i have to start some were i work seasonal for the kentucky div of forestry im a scwod bossi now im not gana
    start as a scwod bos but i want to get my foot in the dooor
    i also now that ther is prvt compinies is ther any in the northeastern part of the state thank u

Forum Member

Steed, being a firefighter, take pride in yourself and what you do by proofreading your messages before you post them and be sure to use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar.
    -Josh Brehm

www.crossfit.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steed2515 View Post
    im lookin for a wildland firefighting job i now i have to start some were i work seasonal for the kentucky div of forestry im a scwod bossi now im not gana
    start as a scwod bos but i want to get my foot in the dooor
    i also now that ther is prvt compinies is ther any in the northeastern part of the state thank u
    I'll leave the Kentucky jokes in the hosebed for now... but Brehm's got a point. One or two mistakes isn't a big deal, but damn man, this is barely readable...

Let me guess, before becoming a "scwod bos", you were a truckie?
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Hey, my first line of advice to you would be to contact your state and federal offices and see who's still hiring. I've already got my job with the USFS lined up for the summer, but I'm certain that there's still slots open. Government firefighters get a lot more respect, more consistent hours, and are generally held to a better standard. That means that you'll see better action on fires, make more money, and you'll be expected to act as a firefighter. Don't just send in an application and wait for a phone call. Call up, and get ahold of engine captains. Go meet them face to face, sell yourself. Get them to recognize your name off a list and want to hire you. It's key in this world.

If nothing turns up, and you really want to work this summer, take a look at contracting, which happens to be a big deal in Oregon. The NWSA has a list of its members, and many of these hire seasonal firefighters. Hours'll be inconsistent, you'll learn the joys of being a mopshot, and you might end up on a crew with a bunch of stoners and drunks... but it's a foot in the door and a good opportunity to work your way into something better the next season.

MembersZone Subscriber

I started out in wildland firefighting with Patrick out of Remond. They are one of the few contractors that take pride in proffesionalism. But the down side is they only pay 8.50 base 3.00 health and welfare and time and a half after 40 hrs per week. Like these guys said try your damndest to get on a fed crew they do take alot better care of their employees.

MembersZone Subscriber

L.A. , Orange and Ventura counties all have hand crews which they hire seansonal people. They all see a lot of fire
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddiegrunt View Post
    L.A. , Orange and Ventura counties all have hand crews which they hire seansonal people. They all see a lot of fire
    Kern County runs a shot crew as well, and there's a plethora of districts across the west that hire a seasonal or two, though these positions would seem to me a bit competitive (considering they're likely to hire a local volunteer).

Thread Information