Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber rualfire's Avatar

Default 'white' halogen lights

Is anyone running those high intensity white halogen bulbs?

We've got a tanker with headlights mounted just above an extended front bumper, and we are not happy with the ilumination we are getting at night close in to the truck.

Someone suggested the white bulbs might provide better visibility.

Any thoughts? Drawbacks? likes? dislikes?

Thanks

Forum Member

ill let you know. we are taking delivery of a truck with HID xenon headlights in about a month. I have driven a few cars with them and they do work great. they provide excellent clarity compared to halogen lights.

What manufacturer are you getting the vehicle from with the HID headlights. Have not seen them on any apparatus yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

The "white halogens" will not make any differnce. D.O.T. mandates on road lights be 55 watt for low beam and 65 watt for highbeam. Now if you are talking about converting to a H.I.D. sytem big difference and big bucks to make the conversion if one is even available. If you want better visability install a set of auxillary driving lights.

Originally posted by SSHANK42
    The "white halogens" will not make any differnce. D.O.T. mandates on road lights be 55 watt for low beam and 65 watt for highbeam. Now if you are talking about converting to a H.I.D. sytem big difference and big bucks to make the conversion if one is even available. If you want better visability install a set of auxillary driving lights.
    Not so sure about that. Both our new Pierces have VERY bright halogen headlmps, noticably brighter then the ones on our other rigs.

In fact, we had one burn out on the new pumper, and our mechanic replaced it with a standard halogen from stock. Problem was, when we turned it on, there was a big difference. The new lights look "white" while the old ones have somewhat of a "yellow" cast to them. He ended up having to order a special bulb. They are not HID, as they say halogen right on the bulb.

And for what its woth, I put hi intensity (white) halogens in my POV a couple years ago. Big diference there as well.

Your correct about converting to HID. BIG BUCKS. I would agree on your suggestion to install driving lights. Down low, perhaps one each corner of the bumper

What manufacturer are you getting the vehicle from with the HID headlights. Have not seen them on any apparatus yet.
    The new Pierce Quantum has them as a low beam option.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber rualfire's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback.

I suspect we will do both options. Add driving lights below the bumper, and try the white lights too.

Forum Member

The truck we are taking delivery of is a brand new Pierce Quantum. HID xenon headlights are standard equipment. Like I said, I'll let you know how they work out...I really like the difference they make in cars and actually I have one on my bike (bicycle, that is) and it is awsome.

Thread Information