Forum Member

Default Thousands of dollars of equipment damaged

I dont know if you read anything about the fire Cincinnati had yesterday so if you didnt here is the article.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=39796
    Well anyways now check this out.
    http://www.channelcincinnati.com/new...80/detail.html

Would there be any way to have prevented all the damage to equipment to the gear, hose and burnt truck?

Here are some photos of the fire.

This is from an explosion, what ever exploded projected through this truck. (Good thing no person was in there or standing there.)
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Well it certainly looks like they had there hands full. As for damaged equipment I dont think there could of been much they could have done to save the hoses other than maybe repositioning them. The way it sounds there was 10,000 some feet? Thats alot of hose to try and keep track of. Fortunatly nobody was hurt, I am sure the company will be billed for the hose, its just a matter of time to get it back into service.

Did they say what damaged the hose? other than oil saturation? If that was the only cause of damage to the hose which sounds like a majority of the cost there really isnt a way to take a hose line in without dragging it through the stuff. It seems like there should be a way to clean it without deteriating the life expectance of the hose. I would question whether i would want to use it knowing it may be flamable in a structure tho.

Good point Backdraft if would be interesting to see what comes out of it. If it can be deconaminated or if it has to be pulled from service.

Forum Member

When the fire started it somehow started an oil spill that way mixing with the water runoff which was running by the hoses outside.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Forum Member

I think in that case I would have been looking at other motives knowing the dangerous toxins. I would start off by dyking all the doorways and trying to keep all the stuff inside. Thats bad news if it gets into there water system.

As for hose's being taken inside i still see the problem of contamination. Ruining all the hose out side because the contaminants wernt contained makes me wonder. Although hind site is always easier to make these calls after the fact.

I would have dkyed and tried to contain all the stuff at the doorways. Even then how much water did they use? or where the resourses avalible? or was there enough man power to stop it. To be honest, would that really have done much good either i dont know.

Forum Member

They contained the oil spill, haz-mat crews handled it, although it did get to there gear and hose.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

Thread Information