Forum Member

Default I'm new, and have something NEAT to show EVERONE!!!

Hello everyone!!! Just thought that since not only am I a new junior at my dept., I'm new to this site!!! I found something really cool while surfing on the net earlier today and decided to show you....

http://www.ctlegalguide.com/SlideShow/caninetribute.htm

I just so happen to be a HUGE dog lover and found this rather interesting......Check it out...

former FH.com member

I have always hated that song, but a great site nonetheless. I too am a big dog lover. I have a 18 month old, 100lb German Shepherd.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice job!

Forum Member

So....I'm begining to understand how much physical labor is put into being a firefighter!!! IT'S GREAT!!!!!!! I never thought that doing so much work, could be sooo much fun!!! Does anybody have any funnny, or exciting stories they want to share?? Leave them for everyone one to read right here on this forum!!

I got a funny/embarassing but pretty exiting story bout my first call with the company as a junior. It was about 3 months ago when my company was desperate for manpower so as soon as I put my application in I was accepted and allowed to ride as long as I was checked off by the chief for everything I did on scene, it was kinda like and in house FF1 class. My company is pretty quite, mostly MVA's and mutuial aid over the river but my first call was a barn fire that was reported to be fully involved. We were training that day so we had enough people to just go and not wait for anyone, so when we get toned out I go running into the bay and kick my station boots off and while I'm putting on my turnout boots I'm so exited that I fell over trying to get everything on at the same time, while everyone is telling me to slow down. We finally get out the door and there it is my first call was a very big hay barn that had caught and was pouring smoke and fire into the sky. It was amazing. We got it out and spent about 7 hours on the fire ground total between fighting the fire and overhaul to look for extension.
    Do what you have to do for everyone to go home
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff

September 11th All gave some, some gave all Fever Forget!

Forum Member

Talking

Wow, that does sound exciting!!! The very forst training I had to go to that involved wearing gear was like last month or so. Well, I don't have my own turnouts yet and had to "borrow" another persons. Well, let's just say that wasn't a very good idea!!! Thee boots were HUGE all I had to do was pick my foot up and my boot would fall off!!! Which isn't very good when your crawling through a practice tunnel with a charged hose and someone holding onto your foot!! WHoms gear is also too big for them!!! Let's just say it wasn't a pretty sight.

thats really cool we have a dog in our neighboring department and i think thats a fitting tribute.

Forum Member

Talking

I wish we could have a dog at our station.But, I don't think anyone has the time to train one. I wish I could but between school and training I can't do it. Plus, I couldn't train it at my house because we already have 8 dogs, which is too many distractions for training a search and rescue dog. I would LOVE to train one though!!! Well, time to go!! Thanks for all the replies you guys I really appreciate it!!

Hello avfd. I'm looking to become a junior myself. My local fire department only accepts applications one month out of the year, November. So this November I am going to apply. I was wondering if you have any tips for me or anything that I should know before applying?

Forum Member

Well Josh, if you don't know anybody on the dept. all I can say is be yourself. Don't be afraid to volunteer yourself to do anything. Nobody can laugh at you because they were where you are at one time so don't be embarrased. If they do laugh don't get disappointed, because you'll want to stop. Just laugh too!! You never know whats going happen while your there so soak it ALL in!! I hope you have fun at your dept!!! : )

Permanently Removed

Yea man, just be yourself, don't try to make yourself fit in. Most likely they might make a few joes on you, but they are just messing around with you. Most Juniors/Explorers go through a "Initiation Period" and some dont just be yourself and be prepared for a ride of your life. message me @ Haveyougonemad29 on AIM if you got osme questions or stuff im online 24/7

Forum Member

All I can say is that the initiation period is FUNNNY!! I haven't been initiated yet, partly because they forgot I havent been, but one of the other girls on our dept had to drink hot sauce!!! In the summer we get thrown in our dump tank!!! WOO!!! Sounds fun to me as long as it's REALLY hot outside. Lot's of cold water on a hot day is great. ISO is coming to our dept. in two weeks and we have to train for 5-6 HOURS Sat. It's gonns be sooo much fun!!! Sorry this is all I have time to write for now, but I will be back!!! Any other questions..Amanda is here to answer them!!!!

Forum Member

Wow.

When I was first "initiated" it was below zero and I went "swimming" in a drop-tank.

Drop tanks during the summer aren't any fun
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Permanently Removed

hey all i made a Explorer and Juniors only forums site just for exlporers & juniors so register n post n have fun

www.futurefirefighters.tk

or if that lnik didnt work

www.usfirefighters.proboards41.com

Correction on AsstEngineer292's second link:

http://usfirefighters.proboards41.com

avfd,

Thanks for your info man. I really want to hear a lot more about this "initiation" thing that you guys went through. Heh, so I can get an idea as to what I'm getting into.

Thread Information