Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Four RCMP officers killed in drug raid

AYERTHORPE, ALTA. - Four RCMP officers were killed Thursday during a raid on a marijuana grow operation in northwestern Alberta, a government source says.

Police have scheduled a news conference for 7:15 EST, followed by a news conference in which Premier Ralph Klein is expected to speak about the impact of the police shootings on the families involved.

Earlier in the day, Solicitor General Harvey Cenaiko told CBC News that details of the trouble that broke out Tuesday morning at a farm near Rochfort Bridge were sketchy.

"As far as we know, there's four officers not responding to their radios, so there is an indication that something is serious here," Cenaiko said.

"[The situation] is still active and they have a number of resources that are on scene or going to the scene."

George Vanderburg, the provincial politician who represents the area, says he and Cenaiko were briefed on the situation around midday Thursday.

He could not provide further details except to say it was a "very serious and very tragic" situation.

Cenaiko's office had earlier said at least two officers had been wounded when gunfire broke out during a raid on an alleged hydroponic marijuana operation.

There was widespread speculation of a hostage taking involving the person or people allegedly running the drug operation.

Sgt. Rick Oncescu, who is with the RCMP in Calgary, said two SWAT teams were called to the area.

A military spokesman said about 20 soldiers and two armoured vehicles were sent to the area after police called for military assistance at about midday.

A medical crew that was rushed to the scene shortly after 10 a.m. was for a time not allowed near the Quonset hut at the centre of the action because gunfire continued to be heard.

Tension at the scene eased slightly in the mid-afternoon, with reporters stationed two kilometres away reporting that they could see RCMP officers walking around freely, as opposed to crouching and sheltering as they had been doing earlier.

Rochfort Bridge is located near the community of Mayerthorpe, about 130 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

MembersZone Subscriber

How tragic. Prayers to their family, loved ones, and fellow officers. I hope justice is served down the road.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Unhappy Sad Day

Apparently the suspect opened fire on the four RCMP officers and then turned the gun on himself. The following confirms the information I've been hearing on the radio the past 2 1/2 hours since the news broke .....

Four Alberta RCMP officers killed during raid
    CTV.ca News Staff

Four police officers are dead after conducting a raid on a marijuana grow operation northwest of Edmonton on Thursday.

At approximately 10 a.m. MT, a shootout broke out between police and a male suspect at a farmhouse in Rochfort Bridge near the community of Mayerthorpe, about 130 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

"It is with profound sadness that I confirm that four members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were killed today in service to our country," said RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli at an 8 p.m. ET news conference in Ottawa.

"It is an unprecedented and unspeakable loss."

Alberta Solicitor General Harvey Cenaiko said the officers were executing a search warrant when they were met with gunfire.

RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes said the officers were at a Quonset shed on the farm when they were shot by the suspect.

He added that the suspect, who was also found in the shed, was known to police. He would not say if the man had a criminal record.

RCMP Commanding Officer Bill Sweeney said a fifth person was killed at the scene, though he wouldn't confirm it was the gunman.

In news conference from Mayerthorpe, Sweeney said: "As you can well imagine, the loss of four police officers is unprecedented in recent history in Canada. . . . It's devastating."

He added that not since the Northwest Rebellion of 1885 have so many police officers been killed in the line of duty.

The RCMP has not released the names of the deceased officers, as they are still in the process of notifying family members. Sweeney said three of the officers were based in Mayerthorpe, and one was from Whitecourt, Alberta.

In a statement, Prime Minister Paul Martin said:

"On behalf of the Government of Canada, I would like to express my condolences to the families of the officers who were killed as they carried out their duty in enforcing the law and protecting the public.

"At this moment of difficulty and loss, you are in our thoughts and prayers."

Martin was kept informed of the developing events during phone conversations Thursday with RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli.

The prime minister was expected to call for a moment of silence Friday before delivering a speech to the Liberal party national convention in Ottawa.

Maj. Scott Lundy, a spokesman for Edmonton Garrison, said the military received a request just after 12:30 p.m. MT from the RCMP for assistance.

He said two armoured personnel carriers, an ambulance and about 20 military personnel were dispatched from the military base shortly after that.

But about two hours later, police told the military their help was no longer needed.

Grow ops a 'scourge'

Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan also held a news conference to say she will consider tougher penalties for grow operations in the proposed marijuana decriminalization bill.

McLellan said she and Justice Minister Irwin Cotler will "want to take a look at whether we have the right resources being used in the right ways and whether we have the right laws'' to deal with illegal grow-ops, which she called a fast-spreading "scourge."

Reintroduced in November, the marijuana bill proposes that growers caught with more than three plants face up to five years in jail, or 18 months plus a $25,000 fine.

Anybody with more than 25 plants could face 10 years in jail, while the bill provides a maximum sentence of up to 14 years for operations with more than 50 plants.

McLellan would not answer a question about whether minimum sentences are needed to deter growers. She said, however, that police need more help.

"There is a resource issue. But I think there's also an issue around, do we have the right laws in place? Have we given the RCMP and other forces the right tools they need to deal with what is an amazing growth, quite truthfully, in these operations.''

With files from the Canadian Press
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Angry

You know, with the way, ALL of the emergency services are stretched so thin; it's amazing that there are any services at all.
    When will the Canadian public wake up and pay up (taxes) so that they can have the service that they need and deserve?

My condolences to these families; life must be very rough for them right now.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

My deepest condolences to the RCMP, the familes and friends of the four officers.

Sherry

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

It has been reported on the radio this morning that that last time we had a police LODD of this nature, 3 officers were killed during an operation in 1963!

They also reported that one of the four was a new rookie, who was only two weeks out of Depot.

** on a more personal note, Maj Scott Lundy is an officer with Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians). This is the first unit that I worked with after joining the Army. I met Maj Lundy when he was a very young "Button-head" jr 2Lt 14 or 15 yrs ago.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 03-04-2005 at 11:39 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

R.I.P.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

I have a good friend that works for the MP....we keep a good thought guys.

Forum Member

It makes me sick - At least one officer was shot through the window of his cruiser and then his partner was gunned down, the following morning when two other officers arrived to conduct a search they were gunned down before the spineless bastard turned the gun on himself! Only one officer managed to get his sidearm out!

My thoughts go out to the entire police community, especially the RCMP who I work very closely with! The police are not thanked enough for the work that they do - being short staffed as they are here, they do a great job!

SPIPER - Thanks for posting the flag!

Dave
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

*edited* ooops I posted the wrong one, so here is the March 22 article first ...

Tue. Mar. 22 2005 6:17 AM ET
    RCMP Supt. Marty Cheliak addresses media in Edmonton Monday evening.

RCMP Cpl. Wayne Oakes speaks with reporters Monday evening in Edmonton.

James Roszko bore three firearms, RCMP confirms
    CTV.ca News Staff

In an update of their investigation of the Alberta farm shootout that left four Mounties dead, the RCMP has confirmed that property owner James Roszko was indeed heavily armed.

Briefing reporters in Edmonton Monday afternoon, RCMP Superintendent Marty Cheliak confirmed that James Roszko was carrying at least three firearms the day of the shootout on his Mayerthorpe, Alta. farm.

"Mr. Roszko had in his possession a ... model .308-calibre assault rifle with a 20-round magazine, a semi-automatic pistol in his waistband and another long-barrel firearm slung over his shoulder," Cheliak said.

But, he added, it is too soon to tell what part those weapons played in the deaths of constables Peter Schiemann, 25, Leo Johnston, 32, Anthony Gordon, 28, and Brock Myrol, 29.

Answering those questions, Cheliak said, will require "intense followup forensic examination and testing."

The RCMP had previously said the four officers were not victims of friendly fire.

Adequate Planning

In his briefing, Cheliak recounted a timeline of events in the hours leading up to the fatal shootout that was largely consistent with the chronology that's already been reported.

He did, however, offer some important clarifications.

In his description of events the day before the shootout, for example, Cheliak said bailiffs arriving to search for property discovered what appeared to be an "automotive chop shop" and a marijuana grow operation in a Quonset hut on Roszko's farm.

They posted a notice and left, Cheliak added, noting that Mayerthorpe RCMP then obtained a warrant to search the property.

Contradicting suggestions that the Mounties' next step was an ill-considered rush to occupy the farm, Cheliak denied that officers proceeded without first carefully weighing the situation.

"Strategic planning and assessments were conducted involving members who were familiar with Mr. Roszko and the area," he told reporters. "The process included clearing buildings, the actual search and police officer safety."

Their preparations did little to avert events next morning, however, when two auto-theft investigators arrived just moments before gunshots rang out.

All four of the deceased officers were on the farm the morning of March 3, Cheliak continued, when a pair of armed, plainclothes auto theft investigators arrived.

As the two investigators prepared to enter the property, Cheliak said they observed the four constables who were already on the farm approaching a large metal hut on the property.

"Moments after the four constables entered the quonset, gunshots were heard from inside," he said.

At that point, Cheliak said, the remaining officers at the scene were unable to see inside the building, and efforts to communicate with those inside went unanswered.

It wasn't until that afternoon, when emergency personnel secured and entered the building, that the four Mounties and Roszko were found dead.

Schiemann On Duty

Cheliak also dispelled rumours that one of the four deceased officers wasn't even on duty at the time of the shootout.

Schiemann, 25, was not in uniform because he had been headed to buy supplies for the detachment, Cheliak said.

Because Mounties don't generally shop in uniform the young constable had been granted special permission to wear civilian clothes that day.

"Constable Schiemann was on duty and on shift at the time," Cheliak said.

Other rumours Cheliak was eager to dispel include:

"Our members were not shot outside the quonset and then dragged back inside," Cheliak said, addressing reports the Mounties had been killed in at least two separate gun battles.
    "Crosses on the property do not mark graves," he added, denying reports Roszko had buried several bodies on his property.
    So far, no charges have been laid in connection with the shootout and the subsequent investigation, he added, noting that the criminal investigation is still ongoing.

When asked how long it could be until the RCMP have more answers, a spokesman said the painstaking forensic work now underway could take some time.

"It definitely will be months," RCMP Corporal Wayne Oakes said.

Wed. Mar. 23 2005 11:55 AM ET
    RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli addresses media in Ottawa Tuesday.

Police cannot plan for insane acts: RCMP
    CTV.ca News Staff

RCMP officers couldn't have been better prepared when they converged on the farm of crazed gunman James Roszko, says RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli.

In an update on four officers killed earlier this month in Alberta, Zaccardelli told a press conference in Ottawa Tuesday that police can't plan for acts of insane individuals who have "crossed the line."

Zaccardelli said officers had conducted a proper risk assessment before sending the four constables out to the farm.

He described it as an ordinary investigation that when terribly wrong for the four constables Peter Schiemann, 25, Leo Johnston, 32, Anthony Gordon, 28, and Brock Myrol, 29.

"An ordinary and manageable police investigation took a random and unexpected turn to the unmanageable and tragic," he said.

"There is no possible way to plan for or manage the insane behaviours of an individual who has crossed the line from criminal to stalker, from suspect to enemy," he said.

Zaccardelli reiterated that Roszko wasn't there when police arrived, but had crept back on to the farm where he ambushed the four officers.

The commissioner said changes would likely be recommended after a review of the shootings.

He also called on the judicial system to re-examine how it handled Roszko, who had several serious charges against him dropped over the years.

Zaccardelli's comments came a day after the RCMP in Alberta updated the public on their investigation.

Briefing reporters in Edmonton on Monday, RCMP Superintendent Marty Cheliak confirmed that Roszko was indeed heavily armed, carrying at least three firearms.

"Mr. Roszko had in his possession a ... model .308-calibre assault rifle with a 20-round magazine, a semi-automatic pistol in his waistband and another long-barrel firearm slung over his shoulder," Cheliak said.

But, he added, it is too soon to tell what part those weapons played in the deaths of the four constables.

Answering those questions, Cheliak said, will require "intense follow-up forensic examination and testing."

"There are still many unanswered questions,'' he told a news conference. "In time we hope that all questions will be answered."

The RCMP had previously said the four officers were not victims of friendly fire.

In his briefing, Cheliak recounted a timeline of events in the hours leading up to the fatal shootout that was largely consistent with the chronology that's already been reported.

With files from the Canadian Press
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 03-23-2005 at 12:22 PM.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Default Creepy!

Wed. Mar. 16 2005 9:21 AM ET
    James Roszko

Roszko hid three guns under white sheet: report
    CTV.ca News Staff

The man who shot and killed four Mounties on his Alberta farm was armed with three guns that he hid under a white sheet when he crept onto his farm, according to an Edmonton radio station.

CHED Radio quoted police sources as saying James Roszko used the white sheet to camouflage against the snow when he furtively crept onto his farm near Mayerthorpe on March 3, unnoticed by the officers who were keeping guard.

Roszko was reportedly armed with a military-style assault rifle, a hunting rifle and a pistol. CHED also reported that officers found a hidden compartment under a dirt floor. It's not clear if Roszko kept his arms there.

According to the station, Roszko wore socks over his boots to cover his tracks and to muffle sound.

RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes would not comment on the report.

"I cannot confirm or deny a single content of that media story," he said.

"Absolutely none of that came through my office. I have no idea as to the source of that."

However, he told the National Post that the RCMP may release information outlining new information and a detailed chronology at an official press conference on Wednesday.

The station reported that Roszko was struck four times by return fire -- two bullets in the groin area, another bullet hit the pistol he tucked in his trousers. A fourth bullet reportedly hit the stock of the assault rifle he used to fire at the RCMP officers.

The Post reported that two other officers from the Auto Theft Unit were on the scene in addition to the four Mounties at the time of the shootings.

They went to their vehicles to put on coveralls when they heard shots fired, killing RCMP constables Peter Schiemann, 25, Leo Johnston, 32, Anthony Gordon, 28, and Brock Myrol, 29.

According to the Post, it is believed that Schiemann, one of the more senior Mounties, was unarmed and not wearing a uniform because he was mentoring Myrol, a new recruit, on the fateful day.

When Roszko saw the auto theft officers, he fired at them and one returned fire.

The two officers called for backup and waited outside. It is believed that Roszko took his own life during this time.

When the Emergency Response Team arrived onto the scene, they sent a robot into the hut with a remote camera, followed by armoured officers who confirmed the slayings.

A former friend of Roszko told The Canadian Press that the report wasn't surprising.

"It sounds like him," said Reco Fast, who added his friendship with Roszko came to an end about six years ago.

"He was always like that. If he was going to do something, he did it right the first time. He never left no room for error."

With files from The Canadian Press

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

god bless them and there families. no matter what line of emergency service we are in. still sad to hear of lodd.

Thread Information