Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA City FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default LA City FD

Anybody know if the LAFD (city) is going to offer another written test soon? I passed the CPAT right before the last one, but was too late to get scheduled for it. When I called they said they were going to probably have another one in March, but I haven't heard anything. Kind of bums me out b/c I called to see if the date I scheduled for the CPAT would allow me to get in to the written, and was told by one employee that it would. When I passed it and called to make sure I could take the written, I was told no dice, that they had already closed out for that date. Frustrating. Any help would be great.

Dooley,

I am in the same boat you are, only i didn't even bother taking the CPAT since i was already too late. On my application, there was a note that said they will test twice in the year (the first one being the one we missed), and i also heard that it was going to be sometime in march as well. I check the LAFD website every couple days to check when they will be doing the written test again, i suggest doing the same.

Patrick

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. Very frustrating, considering I was told by their own employee that I would be all set for the Feb test. Oh well, at least now I know that I can pass the CPAT. Take care.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default LAFD

Patrick,

Just got a letter in the mail today that says I'm scheduled to take the written test on the 19th--not sure if they are going to give any more tests this year, but if you call the number at the bottom of their web site they should be able to give you an idea. You might want to think about taking the CPAT to keep your options open.

Good luck,
    Dools

You guys should look at firecareers.com They have alot of LA City and County hiring discussions in their forums ( listed under: Community). Alot of the department's members give info.

Good Luck!
    KC
    Last edited by prymtym; 03-05-2005 at 07:59 PM.
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Forum Member

Default CPAT

What many LA City candidates missed was all you had to take the test was show proof that you were signed up to take a CPAT and they would let you take the written.

For those who did take the written:

LA City Test Results are in the Mail!

Successful candidates are receiving their LA City results for the written test with their oral boards dates scheduled as early as March 14, 2005.

Your ranking on the LA City exam will be determined by how well you do on the oral exam. This means 100% of your score to be hired will be in your Oral Board Score! In past LA City tests if you pass the written you will be invited to an oral board.

For continued up dates on the LA City Oral Boards go here
    http://eatstress.com/la_city_test.htm

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 03-05-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Forum Member

I don't work in recruitment or recruit training, but I can tell you one thing with absolute certainty....

Whenever you have a need (not a desire, but a genuine need) for specific information that will guide your key career decisions, rely on nothing less than original and signed letterhead correspondence. If it's not addressed to you on letterhead, it's likely to be nothing more than one person's opinion or interpretation.

Oh, and since we're speaking of the LAFD, please allow me to share a popular adage:

"If when you get hired is more important than where, the LAFD is not the Department for you!"

Best Wishes,

Brian

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You must pass the CPAT first...

Actually, Capt Bob, this is taken directly from the LAFD web site:

"In order to be scheduled for the written test candidates must submit proof of successful completion of CPAT program (for further information please see CPAT Frequently asked questions listed on the menu)."

Thus, you can APPLY to take the written test, but you cannot be SCHEDULED to take the written test until you pass the CPAT. Just to clarify...

Forum Member

Default Going to the Oral?

Since100% percent of your score to get hired for LA City is in the oral board, what are you missing that will keep you from wearing the LA City shield? How are you going to stun the oral board to convince them to give you the badge over the other candidates?

Bottom line most candidates don't do enough interviewing to get good at it. You've got around 20 minutes for a 25+ year career. It’s time to get ready! Just a one or two points either way will make the difference in you going forward in the hiring process.

The Problem is Poor Oral Board Skills!

Too many candidates do poorly on their oral boards. The problem is most of them don’t know how poorly they are doing. I’ve seen it too often sitting on oral board panels. It’s the most misunderstood and least prepared for portion of the testing.

Steve Prziborowski, Captain AKA Chabotfire
    www.chabotfire.com wrote:

“Do what you have to do be more marketable so you can take more tests and have something more to offer a department, but remember that it all comes down to that 15 to 30 minute oral interview. I’ve seen some awesome candidates with resumes packed full of accomplishments that couldn’t sell them self in an interview to even make the top 50%.”

With all respect to the following comment, this is one of the most important clues why candidates have trouble in their oral boards:

“I recently had an interview, and I know my answers were great especially after hearing how another candidate answered them. He made the list, and I did not. Go figure!” Jed.

This is the problem! Most candidates think their answers are great, when they aren’t. If their answers were as great as they thought, they would make the list and get a badge. They listen to other candidates and firefighters who make them into clones. Have you noticed, once a person becomes a firefighter, they’re instantly the experts on how to get hired?

If you’re passing the written and agility, which are usually pass/fail, and you’re not placing high enough on the oral, that’s where the problem exists. If you don’t do anything to improve your oral board skills nothing is going to change, you will never, ever see that badge. The oral board is for all the marbles. This is where the rubber meets the road.

Stop looking in the magnifying glass at others . . . and start looking in the mirror at your self. That’s where the problem is.

With the letters going out for the upcoming LA City Oral Board dates do your self a favor and learn how to take an interview. You have time to get Chief Paul’s book "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview" www.smokeyourffinterview.com or my material below, use the resources of this web site ,and arrange a coaching session with Chief Paul, Rob or any other qualified coach to test out your material before game day.

Remember, you’re going up against candidates who have already learned how to take an interview and have honed their skills.

This from a candidate who learned how to take an interview:

To make a long story short, nothing counts until you have the badge, nothing. For all of the candidates out there that don’t believe this, try passing and ranking #1 on orals with a stuttering problem . . . I did. — Dave

“Getting the job of your dreams is like winning the lottery!” Jerry Price, Firefighter

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Forum Member

Default Re: You must pass the CPAT first...

Originally posted by dooley
    Actually, Capt Bob, this is taken directly from the LAFD web site:
    And to further clarify...

The information you mention was posted on the City of Los Angeles Personnel Department's website. The LAFD and the Personnel Department are two separate agencies. It is profoundly important that candidates distinguish this difference!

Brian

Forum Member

Default Orals

Don’t panic if you hear candidates already receiving their scores for the LA City written test. HR said results for written test will be sent out four to six weeks from your test date. The LA City web site stated that there would be no advantage given to people no matter what test date they were given.

You have to pass every portion of the hiring process, before you get there, to be able to move on be considered for a badge. This includes the next phase, the oral board. For LA City 100% of your score to get hired will be in your oral board.

Tape Recorder — The Miracle Oral Board Tool

What tools can you use to practice and rehearse your oral board answers? Right, a video camera. You need to see how you look in action. But you are trapped with a video camera. Mirror? Sure standing in front of a mirror is good. But you are missing the most valuable tool of all. A hand-held tape recorder. The closest distance between you and the LA City badge is picking up a tape recorder and hearing what’s coming out of your mouth!

I received a call from candidate. He has made it to a few oral boards and one Chief’s Oral without success. He has been invited to the LA City oral board and wanted to set up a private coaching session. In just a few moments I was aware of something critical. Then I asked him if he was using a tape recorder to practice? Like most people (99.7%), he hemmed and hawed and finally said, “Well, no. But, I’m thinking about it.”

Even though he has heard me hammer and hammer the point home that you have to use a tape recorder and hear how you sound, he still didn’t get the message. His answers were garbage. Many applicants want this job so bad they will do almost anything ethically and morally to get it. I guess that doesn’t include using a tape recorder to get your timing, inflection, volume, where to cut out material, get rid of the uh’s and other pause fillers, or to find out if you really sound like Donald Duck. You need to get married to your hand-held tape recorder. You need to hear what the oral board is going to hear out of your mouth. It’s narrows the distance between you and the badge you’re looking for!

What is the first thing a candidate says when he hears his voice on a tape recorder? Yep. That’s not me. Yes, it is McFly. You need to get married to a hand held tape recorder and practice everywhere you go.

This is usually a guy thing. Guys think about their answers in their head and write them down. Then they think their answers are going to come out of their mouths like magic in the oral. Trust me, they don’t! The brain and mouth don’t work that way.

Try this. Take 3X5 cards and write down your oral board questions. You can find our 30 Sample Oral Board Questions here http://eatstress.com/thirty.htm Practice your answers with the tape recorder. If you hear something you do not like when you play it back, turn over the 3X5 card and write it down. The next time you go after that question, turn over the card first and see what you don’t want to say.

Let me tell you how critical this really is. If you’re not using a tape recorder to practice, practice, practice, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse and over learn your material until it becomes second nature to you, you might be wasting the oral boards time and your time! Seek out another career. Understand you still have to interview there too. The above candidate has already lost some great opportunities. Had he been faithfully using a tape recorder to prepare for his oral boards, he probably could have had a badge already.

Some will say, “Well, if I practice it too much it will sound canned.” NO it won’t! It sure will be planned though. Practice makes permanent. “Luck is preparation meeting opportunity.” One practice session with a tape recorder is worth 10 speaking out louds. After practicing, you will get to a point where your answers will get into your subconscious. That’s where the magic begins. You can’t be fooled.

We think practicing with a tape recorder is so important; we will not do private coaching with a candidate if they aren’t using one. It is a waste of our time and their money. Be advised that your competition knows the value of using a tape recorder. They are catapulting past you if you’re not using one too.

Instead of posting messages on bulletin boards asking others where they’re at in the testing process for this city and I’m in the top 40 on this list or whatever, start asking your self this question: What am I doing that can best prepare me for the most important part of the hiring process? . . . The oral board. Because if you can’t pass the oral board, or score high enough on the list, you don’t get the job. Never! Ever! Ever! Now, where’s your tape recorder?

If you want to stay ahead of the curve on the LA City process, go to the web site below.

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

MembersZone Subscriber

"Don’t panic if you hear candidates already receiving their scores for the LA City written test. HR said results for written test will be sent out four to six weeks from your test date. The LA City web site stated that there would be no advantage given to people no matter what test date they were given."

CAPT Bob: So does that mean that they wait until all the results are in for all three test dates before they rank everyone based on their oral scores? If so, that is certainly good news for me since I'm not taking the written until the 19th!
    Thanks.

Forum Member

Default Orals

That's right. My undersanding is they are still giving the written test. You score will count in the overal ranking.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default LA City Round 2

LA City Round 2

I’ve had contact with many successful candidates who scored high enough on their LA City oral board to be heading into background.

One wrote:

“The only guy that did intimidate me at the interview as far as competition ran into the bathroom when I was checking the bottom of my shoes and my hair and threw up. So after that I felt pretty good about it.” Keith

With the written results of the second group coming out and the oral board dates set, these successful candidates have to be asking themselves how can they make the cut? Especially after seeing postings from candidates who thought they had done better in their oral boards but left without getting a background packet.

I’m still baffled how so many candidates have convinced themselves between the four inches between their ears, without learning how to take and interview, that they just know the oral board panel will select them over the other candidates who have really prepared.

In a coaching session with Rob a week before his oral, a candidate opened his answer to the question why he wanted to be a firefighter for LA City was because two of his cousins work there. Where did you get that answer? From a couple of on duty LA City firefighters was his answer. The remainder of his answers weren’t much better. This was his first interview ever. Well, in the following week he was able to put it together enough to walk out of his interview with a background packet.

Remember, you’re going up against candidates who have already learned how to take an interview and have honed their skills.

As this candidate wrote:

I would of hated not to have had this knowledge and gone up against somebody who did!

Stories Get Badges!

We encourage candidates to lace their answers with personal life experiences. Since no one else can tell a candidate’s life experience stories they can’t be placed in the mold of a profile. They become unique, fresh and convincing. In a recent fire academy half the recruits were candidates who went through our program. You couldn’t tell one from the other in the oral board because they were using their own stuff. Not a profile robot “clone” of everyone else.

If you have all the education, experience and the burning desire to get that badge, you’re not getting hired, having to cool your heels in another position waiting for that next opportunity (not a bad ideal), you have be asking yourself why?

You can talk all you want about what we do here, how you want it or think it should be, but the candidates you are reading about in our material are a lot like you. They simply got positive results by putting simple techniques into action. The big difference is they figured out how to maximize the points in their oral boards, are now riding big red and taking home a pay check.

Here’s how they did it. Since oral board scores are calculated in hundredths of points (82.15, 87.63, 90.87, etc), the goal is to keep building on a few hundredths of points here on this question, a few hundredths there on that answer, gaining a few more hundredths with their signature personalized life experience stories at the appropriate time, delivering the all powerful “Nugget” answers that no one else can tell, and pulling away from the parrot salvo dropping clones.

Before the clone candidates realize what has happened, these candidates have added on extra points to their score placing them in a position to be invited to the chief’s interview where they get a real shot at the badge. Just being 1 to 2 points out of the running can decide whether you will go forward in the hiring process or not.

The toughest thing for candidates to do in an oral is to be themselves on purpose. Your stories establish a natural bridge between you and the panel. When you're yourself, you become conversational because you are on your own turf. This alone can lower the stress and the butterflies. Every one has butterflies. The trick is to get all the butterflies to all fly in the same formation than can make the difference.

Stories are more than facts. If you can recreate the excitement, emotion, the color and magic to relive the actual event, you will capture the interest and a top score on that question. A big part of getting this job is convincing the oral board that you can do the job before you get it. Stories are convincing and can demonstrate your experience, even if they’re not fire related.

One reason stories work effectively is because they go directly to the brain and entertain. They do not require the mental processing of more formal nonfiction writing. Stories have heart and ring true.

Collect illustrative stories as you are collecting facts, quotations and other information for your signature stories.

Practice those stories with a tape recorder. Condense them down to a couple of minutes or less. Don’t go on a journey. The oral board is not packed for the trip. You won’t have time and it’s not appropriate to use a signature story for every answer. Tell the story. Make the point. Move on. Once you answer an oral board with a signature story, you can marry the rest of your answer with those clone answers you have been using. Try it and see the amazing difference.

“Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”—Joseph Pulitzer, (1847-1911) American journalist.

I was coaching a candidate one day and a candidate was giving me those clone answers why he wanted to be a firefighter. I stopped him and had him rewind the videotape of his life to where he first got the spark to be a firefighter. He said, “Oh, I’m from South America. When I was growing up, we lived with my grandfather who was the fire chief of the city. I got to go with him and be exposed to the who department.”

I asked if he had ever told that story in any of his oral board interviews? He said, “No”. Why not? I will bet you big money you are a clone candidate right now. But, I bet you also have some personal signature stories that could instantly change your interview scores.

Another Example:
    I was doing private coaching session with a candidate. He was telling a story about being a federal firefighter in Yellowstone when it burned. The story was not too exciting the way he was telling it. I had to stop and ask, “It sounds like you were trapped?” He was. Now he tells that story and the hairs start standing up on the back of your neck. You’re trapped with him. You can smell the smoke and see the embers dropping around you. Does this story make a difference? Please say yes.

Case in point. I just talked to a candidate who was dumping only clone answers on the question “Why do you want to be a firefighter?” Then he realized he could begin his answer with a signature story. He remembered a story he could use about a prank being played on him when he did a ride along with his brother. He couldn’t believe the difference when he used this personalized signature story at his next oral board.

The story brought smiles and laughter from the panel members. Along with the calls they went on by the end of the day he knew this was the job that blended all his needs. He followed this story with his standard landmark clone answers. This was the first question on his oral. His answer made everyone more comfortable and the interview flowed a lot smoother than before.

Some say, “Captain Bob” how can you help so many candidates without making them into clones?” Good question. Simple answer. The real reason is nobody else can tell your story! Nobody! So the point here is not the question, but the answer. Start establishing your personalized stories. When you start lacing your answers with your personalized experiences is where you start to shorten that gap between you and that infamous badge.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 03-28-2005 at 11:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default results/oral

Just took the written test on the 19th with about 100 others (hurt my brain trying to remember how many ounces are in a gallon!). I'm assuming it will take about six weeks to get results--does that sound right? Also, can someone out there tell me how long it was between getting their written results and getting a date for the oral interview? I'm pretty sure I saw people waiting there for the interview when we filed in for the test, so they must have been from the first test that was given in January.
    Finally, I am in the Navy--I'm assuming that for the interview (hopefully I'll get scheduled for one!) I should wear appropriate civilian attire instead of my dress uniform. Any opinions?
    Thanks much.

Forum Member

dooley:

Congrats and good luck. I'll say NO to the military attire and YES to the nicest contemporary conservative gentlemen's suit and ensemble you can obtain.

Best Wishes,

Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default LAFD vs DCFD

Thanks, Brian. I have one suit I had tailored for me in Thailand so I guess I'll get a chance to use it. Are you currently on the job in L.A.? If so, can you tell me the work schedule there and how you like it? I am currently trying to decide between staying in SoCal and trying to get on the LAFD and going back east to Washington, D.C. I'm on an active duty deferment for the DCFD, so when I get out if I move back there I've already gone through most of their process. I know that D.C. still gets a LOT of fires, so I'm just looking for info about the LAFD in general so I can make an informed decision. Thanks to anyone who can provide info.

Forum Member

Thanks, Brian
    You are welcome.

I have one suit I had tailored for me in Thailand so I guess I'll get a chance to use it
    Good call. If it's contemporary and profoundly conservative (like the rest of your ensemble), you should do fine. Captain Bob has many posts over at the Firecareers.com (free) forum that relate directly to this topic.

Are you currently on the job in L.A.?
    Yes.

...can you tell me the work schedule there...
    http://www.lafd.org/shift.htm

.. and how you like it?
    While the LAFD is not everyone's cup of tea (I guess you could say that about any Fire Department). I happen to enjoy my time here immensely.

I am currently trying to decide between staying in SoCal and trying to get on the LAFD and going back east to Washington, D.C.
    The best thing I can suggest is to closely visit and immerse yourself in the culture of both Departments and both regions. There are a million opinions from a million people, but it ultimately comes down to what works best for you and your family from both an on-duty and off-duty perspective.

I know that D.C. still gets a LOT of fires...
    Yes they do, and from what I have observed firsthand, do a fine job at fighting them. The same could be said for many agencies. In the long run though, the amount of fire being fought "today" becomes the fires that were fought yesterday. I would opine that while prospective Firefighters need know where a Department has been, they also need to strongly focus on where a Department is headed.

We of course see our own share of fire, but consider to be *in and of itself* (emphasis greatly added) to be a poor indicator of what may be your life's work for the next three decades.

...so I'm just looking for info about the LAFD in general so I can make an informed decision.
    Along with the basic recruitment information here (follow the highlighted links)

http://www.lafd.org/join

... very strong emphasis is give on visiting Los Angeles Fire Stations (plural). If you haven't spent several days in and around the City of Los Angeles and immersed yourself in its Fire Department, you're not doing everything you can - and dare I say necessary - to attain a career position as a Los Angeles Firefighter.

Best wishes,

Brian

Forum Member

Default Getting a higher score

Don’t be A Clone Candidate!

Folks, it appears that if you get a 95% or above on your LA City Oral, you will be given a background packet as you leave.

Some early LA City Oral Board Results:

Hey Captain Bob!
    I am 24, and have been trying to get this far since for about two and a half years. I just took my oral for Los Angeles City. When I came out of my oral THEY HANDED ME MY BACKGROUND PACKET! (Which got me teary eyed when I got to my truck). By the way the confidence from your Gold Package Program made me feel years ahead of everyone there, well that and new underwear! Thanks to the tips and all from you and Rob.

You’re going to love this:

The only guy that did intimidate me at the interview as far as competition ran into the bathroom when I was checking the bottom of my shoes and my hair and threw up. So after that I felt pretty good about it. Keith

Capt Rob,
    This is Jeff. I had a coaching session through you last Wednesday, in preparation of my first ever oral for LA City. Well I had my oral yesterday. They let me know right away, they handed me a background packet and scheduled me to meet and start my Investigation. So I am on to the fireside of the hiring process. Because of the preparation I was ready for the questions they threw at me. Thanks for everything that you and your dad did, not sure I could have nailed my first interview otherwise. Thanks again. Jeff

Congrats Jeff on your first time out!

Don’t be A Clone Candidate!

It’s not the interview questions that are the problem, it’s the answers! Unfortunately many candidates become clones and give clone answers. And the bigger problem is they don’t know it. I hate to say, but often they are cloned in fire colleges and academies. Clone answers can doom your oral board.

One of our officers was on an oral board for a big city. Several boards interviewed 965 candidates. His board interviewed 180 candidates over a period of 10 days. Imagine you were this officer and it is the fifth day of interviewing. You have just come back from lunch where the city has wined and dined you. You’re tired and you know you have another five days of interviews ahead of you.

The next candidate is called in. The first question you ask is, “What sparked your interest and why do you want to be a firefighter?” He proceeds to give you the same clone answers you have heard from almost every candidate for five days. Public service, helping people, not the same thing every day, blah blah blah. The magic that you needed to hook up with the oral board has passed and you didn’t hook them into listening to your stuff. You have just scored yourself. Trust me. You can see the glaze come over the raters’ eyes. It’s like a deer caught in the headlights. They’re gone and they won’t come back.

It’s not that you can’t use clone answers. You can. But first you need to deliver a signature story about you. Not a clone answer of anyone else. I haven’t met a candidate yet that couldn’t come up with signature stories. Signature stories demonstrate experience. They also tell that you not only know the answer to a question, you’ve lived it. Firefighters love firefighter stories. If you open up with a signature story, you instantly separate yourself from the other clone candidates. Stories show the oral board who you really are. You capture the board and take them on a journey with a story they have never heard. Is this making sense?

The toughest thing for candidates to do in an oral is being themselves on purpose. When you are yourself, you become conversational because you are on your own turf. This alone can lower the stress and the butterflies.

An oral board member told me they had a candidate who didn’t answer all the questions the way they wanted him to do, but he had such great personal life experience in his answers (stories), they hired him anyway. This is human nature. Stories help bridge that gap. Clone answers and clone candidates don’t have a chance here.

So the point here is not the question, but the answer. Start establishing your personalized stories.

Instant “Clones”

Recently I had the opportunity to participate in mock orals with one of my instructors who happens to be really great when it comes interviewing. In our class that comprises mostly of people starting fire tech classes, nobody did very well. It was a great lesson about how we need to start preparing and getting to familiarize ourselves with the testing process. However, 2 guys who were friends with our instructor participated in our mock orals, and put the rest of us to shame.

They obviously have spent countless hours practicing orals with our instructor. They really knew their stuff and not having any oral experience myself, I was very impressed, along with the rest of my class. My question is that these guys were so well rehearsed and knew each question and answers like the back of their hand, they sounded like actors in a play—anybody could tell that everything down to expressions, and hand motions had been practiced over and over to perfection.

Is this what interviewers want when they interview you? Do they really want to see rehearsed answers? Don’t get me wrong, the answers were very good, but seemed so artificial. Please let me know if it’s better to answer questions to the best of your knowledge, or just to memorize good answers. Thanks, any input would be great.

Reply: What you saw was a perfect example of turning candidates into Clones. It’s impressive at first. But if you felt is was too rehearsed, so will the oral board panel. When you see it over and over again it gets old and puts the panel into a daze. We could tell who the instructors were on many of the clone candidates by the second question. This will stick out in an interview. One thing about clone candidates; they will end up with a score that will put them in the clone pack.

One of our officers was going to be on an oral board panel for our department. He had been telling people that he could tell which candidates were coached by me. After the interviews, he was telling us about this great candidate who nailed his interview and came out number one. I asked him if he thought the guy had been coached? He said he was so good using his own stuff he couldn’t have been. When I told him this was one of my candidates, he screamed . . . NO WAY! Yep, he’s one of our guys.

Not only that, this guy had been testing for over 3 years. He scored 532 on his last test in Stockton. He came to us three weeks before his oral with our department. He had great stuff, but didn’t know how to present it.

The proof is in the badge, and, as you already know . . . Nothing counts ‘til you have the badge . . . Nothing!”

You can find the previous LA City Oral Board Tips here: http://eatstress.com/LATip2.htm

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 04-03-2005 at 01:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Great info, Brian! I've gone through the web sites you posted (I actually found the shift info right after I posted my last question) and like what I see. I'm also planning to visit a firehouse in the Hollywood area--my proctor from the CPAT is the captain and told me to give him a call (great guy).
    I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your job. I haven't heard from many firefighters who don't, but some departments definitely have more "esprit de corps" than others. Obviously I'd like to work for a dept whose members are happy with their jobs.
    On a different note, does anybody know if they are going to require a polygraph as part of the background? I'm not planning on lying or anything, but I've known good people who have not gotten hired b/c of false readings so they make me nervous. I'll just tell the truth and hope for the best!
    Anyway, thanks to Brian for the great response and best of luck to all!

Thread Information