MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vision Standards

I am looking for specific vision standards and which departments use what standards.
    Is there large confusion in what standards have overiding authority (such as DOT, OSHA, NFPA, Retirement Pensions Boards, etc.)?
    In reviewing NFPA 1582 standards on vision requirements, I currently do not meet the Standard.
    I am a 22 yr. old FF/Paramedic in OHIO that has worked for three departments as part-time paid for three years now. I have also worked for another 2 departments part-time. My vision is 20/200. Until recently I wore glasses ( and didn't mind them). I never had any serious concerns brought up by any of the departments I have worked for concerning my vision. Only one department required me to get the SCBA glasses, and they required me to purchase on my own (whether right or wrong). Now that I have gained experience in the Fire Rescue Service I have broaden my sights to possibly obtain a full-time position. In a recent interview with a Fire Chief, I was informed that there are vision requirements for the Fire service. The Chief informed me that he believed that I would meet the standard as long as I showed i could wear contact lenses reliably for approx. 1 year, But that he wasn't positive that this was the standard. The Chief informed me he would notify of what the exact standards were later. Unfortunately the Chief has not informed me of such requirements (even after he failed to return three seperate phone calls over three months time). Unfortunately I was not hired off of that list. Now that I have gone out on my own and used contacts for approx. 8 months, I have applied again for a full-time position with this department. Yet further inquires involving Deputy Chiefs and the City's personnell staff have led to greater confusion, sadly.
    Another department informed me that they required 20/20 vision without correction devices, as is stated in their Civil Service Standards.

Forum Member

No confusion in Fla. Our requirements are set by the state.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

If your vision is 20/20 or 20/200 it doesn't matter when you are crawling through a smoke filled hallway does it?

For most duties glasses should be ok, I could see having a requirement for driving possibly. In my volunteer department there are no vision requirements as long as it can be corrected with glasses or contacts.

~Jeff
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Disillusioned Subscriber

quoted from FFTide: I could see having a requirement for driving possibly.
    Possibly?? I certainly hope your standard to drive would be better than 20/200...in the event you decided a standard's necessary at all. I understood what you you're saying; I'm just bustin' your chops.

quoted from FFTide: If your vision is 20/20 or 20/200 it doesn't matter when you are crawling through a smoke filled hallway does it?
    While I was bustin your chops above, I'm totally serious here. Maybe not in the hallway, but it'll mean a huge difference when you're throwing a ladder and you bang it into a power line, or you miss the signs of impending collapse because you can't see them. What about missing that hand at the second or third floor window? Unfortunately, the job's not just about hallway work, so good vision is (and should be) high on that list of "minimum requirements".

While I certainly think you can function on the fireground at 20/40, I think that 20/200 is too far. If you can be corrected to 20/20 with contacts, then everything's ok as far as I'm concerned. I lived this scenario as my uncorrected vision sucked at 20/200, but I never had a problem with contact lenses. I finally had the surgery because I was tired of the day to day maintenance issues, and life was good. I'm occassionally wearing glasses now so I can read because of age related changes in my vision (it's a b***h getting old), but otherwise my vision is fine without them. As far as I'm concerned, so long as your vision is corrected to something more fireground functional than 20/200 like at least 20/40, I couldn't care less. I just don't want it done with something that's going to interfere with your SCBA facepiece like glasses.

Vision requirements are set by the community in Ohio. As a result, some have them, some don't, and those that do aren't usually the same.

Where are you at in Ohio?
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

My vision is correctable to 20/20 with either glasses or contacts.

I am up in Northern Ohio, suburbs of Cleveland.

Forum Member

My father wears an insert in his Scott mask that has his lens so that when he has his mask on he can see. I on other hand wear contacts and have moved into extended wear (ciba focus night and day) contacts that I can have in up to 25-30 days strait. For me it helps waking up in the middle of the night for fire calls or when I'm bunking in as an EMT to just get up and go. I don't know if my eyes are bad enough to consider Lasix but either way I think if you can adapt to contacts or have some sort of insert in your mask they shouldn't black ball you out of a list, they should have solid proff that you can't do your job before not taking you.
    Bucks County, PA.

Forum Member

20/13 here baby! uncorrected
    Yeah I know, I'm braggin but I'm creeping up on 40

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know how NFPA came to set such a standard?
    Do they per say a reason given in another document?

Thread Information