Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Default Question about FDNY Officers

Hopefully one of the brothers from FDNY can clarify something for me. When an officer, whether it be a Lt. or Capt. is assigned to a Division, not a specific company, does he function as floating officer filling in on vacancies in various companies for officers on sick and vacation. ex. Could one of these officers be on say, 111 Truck one night and on 235 Engine the next night for example. But not be assigned to either company, but used throughout the division to fill in as needed. Thanks Brothers.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Living out of your car.

A boss could answer it better than I but basicly once you are promoted you bounce around covering for the regular officers who are on vacation or ML or whatever. This could be for months or even years before you get a spot. Once in awhile you might be UFO in a spot which means Until Further Orders, this would mean until told otherwise this is where you are assigned. If the spot opens up, when the openings are announced on dept orders you can put in papers for the spot. No gaurantee you will get it though.

In a way this is good because they get a little different look at the operations in differnent areas of the city as they probably spent most of their career as a fireman in the same basic neghborhood or Battalion. And the guys get Bosses with varried backgrounds that can offer different perspectives and experinences.

Its bad for them because tour to tour they could be in totally different houses.

I hope that answers your query.

FTM-PTB

PS- Although it could and does happen, technically Engine Co. 235 is in the 57th Battalion 11th Division and Ladder Co. 111 is in the 37th Battalion and 15th Division... Different Divisions. Usually they stick to one basic Division but they can and are sent anywhere as needed when bouncing.

Lieutenants that are newly promoted are assigned to a Battalion. Captains and Battalion Chiefs that are newly promoted are assigned to Division. Each are assigned a group number. If your Battalion or Division is full you bounce Citywide. Thats why they get paid the big bucks.$$$$$ Right Lieutenant Artie
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Thanks for the info! I apologize for the misinformation in the example I gave but you knew what I was getting at. Basically it settled an argument between me and another guy I work with due to the fact that our heavy rescue was just shut down and the officer is now being farmed out to cover officers on sick and vacation. He claimed vehemently that we were the only dept.in the USA that has a manpower officer and when I told about FDNY and others namely Boston being the other one he told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Usually he is a fountain of misinformation but I needed the clarification. Thank you brothers for setting it straight.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Puffy... Boston does have a "pool" of officers that cover for those who are on vacation, sick or IOD time. They are the "newly promoted" who live out of the trunk of their car until they get a permanent berth. Newly promoted captains also go into the "pool" unitl a permanent slot opens up.

I think that having a "know it all" is an NFPA requirement!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-04-2005 at 12:13 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I think that having a "know it all" is an NFPA requirement!
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Big Bucks....Thanks Ray, I needed a laugh today.

Originally posted by E229Lt
    Big Bucks....Thanks Ray, I needed a laugh today.
    I hear that all the time

"that's what you get paid the big bucks for"...

A friend of mine just got promoted to LT on his FD. I reminded him that the bugle on his badge was really a plunger, for all the crap he will have to put up with now!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

former FH.com member

For what it's worth, our newly promoted FAO's and LT's all bounce citywide as well until they find a "home"..which can take a while.

Show me da money!!!! As an "acting Lt" some firefighters here are making more than me!..... Only get acting pay because according to city manager i am not "fully qualified" to be a Lt because I do not have all my Florida Classes.....which by the way are taught from the same material as the ones I have already taken!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Show me da money!!!! As an "acting Lt" some firefighters here are making more than me!....
    I know where you are coming from Stan... due to the current chronic shortage of Drivers in London, LFB are paying Drivers extra to encourage more Firefighters to take a Driving course.

This mean that the first rank of officer; Leading Firefighter (or Crew Commander to give its modern name) are earning less than Drivers...

Lff is a rank you Guys do not have, it's between Firefighter and Sub Officer (Lt)...

following on from the original question, although not related to FDNY, London Officers are promoted into a vacancy... if there is no vacancy (very rare) then they sit as a supernumerary at a Station until a spot comes up but don't move around unless it is a regular Out duty (Detail) to cover a shortage elsewhere.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

I took about a 5-6 grand pay cut when i got promoted due to firefighters getting overtime due to understaffing. Chicago also uses officers in a pool to cover assingments as well. MY dept you are assigned a house but are rarely there due to covering other stations.

Thread Information