Forum Member

Default Contacts and Fire

I wear contacts, and I've heard that if you wear them into a fire, they could melt and basically glue themselves to your eye. I've worn them in a couple fires, but none really all that hot. Has anyone heard any proof of this, or is it just a rumor?

Nick

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally have not heard anything like that. I can say however, that while sitting around a campfire, my eyes have gotten dry because of staring into the fire too long.(pretty fire...lol)

I have worn my contacts at several fires and had no problem. Just be careful not to get anything in your eyes, protect them as much as possible.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Im guessing they would dry out and fall out when you blink more than sticking to your eye. Also your mask should make sure that they stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

contacts will not melt to your eye, as stated before they will dry out first. you shouldnt be close enough in a fire w/o a mask on anyway. i have been wearing contacts to fires since 1990 and never had a problem, oh yeah i am also an optician.

Forum Member

About the only issue I've had is dust particles in my mask that blow up into my eyes with the first hit of air.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Disillusioned Subscriber

Default Re: Contacts and Fire

Originally posted by Berks2Montco84
    I wear contacts, and I've heard that if you wear them into a fire, they could melt and basically glue themselves to your eye.
    If it's hot enough to melt your contacts to your eyes, you've got a lot more than that to worry about. I wore 'em for something like 20 years or more and had zero problems.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

I wore contacts for a couple of years while firefighting. My thoughts are that if it gets hot enough to melt contacts, you have other problems. My biggest issue was them drying out and getting nasty from sleeping in them when I had duty.

I got LASIK surgery two years ago, so that solved those problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wore contacts for a couple of years while firefighting. My thoughts are that if it gets hot enough to melt contacts, you have other problems. My biggest issue was them drying out and getting nasty from sleeping in them when I had duty.

I got LASIK surgery two years ago, so that solved those problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Surgery

Eng34ff,

What was recovery period? I am in Iraq and was thinking of getting it during one of my R&Rs. E-mail me, I don't want to hijak this thread.

Thanks
    Jeff Evans
    Combat Firefighter
    Tallil, Iraq

Forum Member

Default Yo!

Yo Nick...long time, no see (talk)!

Seriously, after all these years of wearing glasses, I finally found a contact lens that I can stand! Been wearing lenses for about a month now, no problems so far. Then again, we haven't had a working job yet either.

I asked my optometrist about this when I got them and he said the same thing as skatcat13...so you should be alright!

See ya around!!
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Contacts and Fire

Originally posted by Steamer
    If it's hot enough to melt your contacts to your eyes, you've got a lot more than that to worry about. I wore 'em for something like 20 years or more and had zero problems.
    Ditto
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

I work with and eye doctor and one day we decided to find out what would happen if you exposed a lens to heat. The lens do burn but thats only when you expose them directly to the flame so like we all said there are other things to worry about. Still protect your eyes from anything that can get in them from S&O you could easily have something small slip in there and all of a sudden have an infection. I would take the lens out after a job and clean them and even consider based on there appearce going into a new pair and letting your eyes rest depending on if there is any irritation.
    Bucks County, PA.

Forum Member

Default Re: Yo!

Originally posted by FightingDevil
    Yo Nick...long time, no see (talk)!

Seriously, after all these years of wearing glasses, I finally found a contact lens that I can stand! Been wearing lenses for about a month now, no problems so far. Then again, we haven't had a working job yet either.

I asked my optometrist about this when I got them and he said the same thing as skatcat13...so you should be alright!

See ya around!!
    What do you mean long time no see? I just saw you last night when you were winning at the snack machine slots! (granted you posted this before training last night, but I figured I had to include that little bit in)

Congrats about the contacts, I started wearing them a few years ago when my one pair of glasses broke. I definitely like being able to see where I'm going with a mask on. And now with these Night and Day ones I can sleep with them in...not that I was taking the other ones out at night, but these are meant to be kept in, LOL.

As far as us not having a job in a while....it'll probably be a while longer too...though we do seem to be getting close to something. Yesterday we had what, three structure fire dispatches? They all turned out to be something, but maybe we are getting close to something big. Of course it'll be while I'm up at school, but I hope you guys have fun.

Anyway guys, thank's for the info, I'll be able to concentrate on other things now when I'm inside, lol.

Stay safe.

Thread Information