Default 36 hour Ohio state test help

Ok, so I live in Athens, OH. I'v been on my township fire department for almost a year now. That might not seem like a long time but iv learned so freakin much from the old timers My problem is I have already taken the 36 hour course, the thing is I cant pass the 36 hour state test for some reason!! I think I make a good volunteer. My Chief and officers trust me with just about eveything execpt driving the trucks and running lights and sirens in my personal vehicle and thats just cause I havnt been able to pass that freakin state test yet! iv already taken it twice and missed it by 1 point each time. I needed a 70% and I got a 69% each time and I have only one more time to pass it or else I have to retake the whole class over I cant really remeber alot of the questions on the test either, so would it be cheating if I asked for some help in remebering them? I study and I still cant pass it and I really dont wanna fail it, hell I even had my girlfriend help me. To top it of I have one of those ever so great learning disabilities. I posted in the Ohio forum cause I didnt know if the state test was different from state to state. Thanks for ANY help guys!

Disillusioned Subscriber

Is your learning disability related to something like reading comprehension? If so, in Ohio they used to have to make an alternative method to take the test available. It's been a long time since I had to deal with the issue, so it may have changed. In any event, tell the program director (not the instructor) that you're having a problem, and they should help you work something out.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Steve is right on target. They must make reasonable accomodations to allow you to take the test. Usually this is done by offering the test orally to you, so that you can hear the questions rather than having to see them on paper and trying to figure them out from there. If that would help, you need to ask if they can do that for you. You might need to come up with documentation of your learning disability, which shouldn't be to difficult since you are obviously aware of it.

Take your time and get it right. If you still don't make it on the third try, it is not the end of the world. As I understand it, you would just be required to re-take the 36-hour class, which is a lot better than failing an EMT class and having to do the 120 hrs. over again.

Good luck!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

the other 2 posters have given the best advice (unless that this isnt the trouble then you have to let us know) Good Luck !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I didnt know that I could get someone to read it to me. That might actually help me. Thanks for that help guys! Im one of those people that if I read it, I lose it real quick. If its read to me or showin to me I can get it most the time. I'm gonna retake my test in about a week I think with an instructor. Better get studying. So again, thx guys!

Forum Member

Smurf44... Have you taken the test yet???
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

SMURF44, If you are retaking the test again next week you should already know if it will be read to you. Where are you going to take the test? If it is not at the acamdemy it will not be read to you. Even if it was read to you the instructor would not be doing it. MetalMedic is 100% correct about the documentation you will have to provide to prove a disability. Not sure what type of study habits you have? One thing to try is to read it, write it, and say it. This is a long process but helps the comprehension alot. Go over you books and practice test that your instructor gave you. If you passed his final exam you should be able to pass the state test. Most instructor have test questions on their test that are very close to the state test. Don't rush into it a third time. Take time to get the help, build your confidence, and then go test.

Forum Member

there are some pratice test at americanfirefighter.com and rescuehouse.com they are both pretty go. the test will give you the correct answers at the end to. alot like the test you'll be getting to. read it write say it. take your time on the test. chin up and dont feel like you failed it before you go in for it.

Thread Information