Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber FireCritic's Avatar

Default Need help - looking for a low profile LDH gate valve

I am currently assigned to the ARFF company of my deparment. We serve an airport and have 2 trucks and 3 personnel per shift. I am new to this assignment as I have spent the past 6 years on an engine or truck. The M-1500 that I am assigned to has a 4.5" or 5" ( haven't measured exactly yet) intake on each side of the truck. They share a common pipe and have to T's, one to the pump and one to the tank. There is a vavle between the tank and the Intakes however it has no exterior shutoff on the truck.(to operate the valve you have to get under the truck and shut it off, not easy to get to, and it probably hasn't ever been operated). If you take the cap off the intakes you drop the tank 1500 gal. So if I were to fill up using the intake I would have to remain connected so I don't drop the tank. Both intakes are flush to the side of the truck. I need a Gate valve on the side of the truck that doesn't stick out far. Any Ideas?

Yes we have talked about putting in a lever on the outside of the truck to operate the current valve (which is present in the schematics of the truck, but not on the physical truck). However the truck is due to be replaced late this year.

The only other way of filling up is 3 2.5" intakes, 2 of which have bad valves and thus have the same problem as the 5" or don't open at all.

I appreciate any ideas.

Forum Member

I have a Harrington gate valve with a 4.5" intake and mounted to a 6" pump intake. It does not stick out quite as far as a regular piston intake valve.

Birken

Not the best suggestion...

but what about a plain old butterfly valve if all you're doing is refilling with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Default Right direction!!

Thanks a lot for the info. Resc you are right that is all I need. I am looking into that possiblility. I appreciate the info MG also. I had found some of those possibilities. I do like the Black Max. I do not know if that would be overkill or not. Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

First, get the 2.5" valves fixed. If they are Akron valves, which I think they are,the repair kits for all the valves will be cheaper than an intake valve. And they are easy to fix, once you reach the valve. With only a 1500 gallon water tank, a short section of 3" hose will fill the tank in about two minutes, which is about as quick as trying to hook up the big line. We usually don't see crash trucks hooked to hydrants very often with LDH, they have to reservice and get back to the crash site.

Default 3"

I have not tried all possibilies yet. I am working on it. I am not sure if I can get my hands on some 3.5 inch with 2.5 couplings, I think that is what we had before going to 5". Or I could always use a reducer. It took 6.5 minutes to fill with one 2.5" 25' hose. This is too long. Yes in a perfect world I will have an engine there to fill me up, however I would like to cover some other bases. I am just learning this ARFF stuff. I think all of our hydrants on the Airport have 40 lbs. on them. Thanks again for all of the responses.

MembersZone Subscriber

You could also try a reducer cap on the master inlet and use a 2.5" gate valve. Then you could use a section of 3" directly into the larger inlet which should speed things up. Just using a pumper 3" line from an engine will probably do the trick. I don't know how far away the engine is, but for most ARFF situations, unless the pumper is close, the first refill may have to be done by just the driver of the ARFF rig. The easier that evolution is, the faster you can get back to the scene. At the fill rate you indicated (230 gpm), it must be the 2.5" fill pipe or your using a lousy hydrant. I'm also checking on that internal valve and I may have some more information for you later. Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did some checking on the piping. There is probably a restrictor plate in the piping to limit high pressure flows into the tank. The tank is probably fiberglas, and cannot take high input pressures. The tanks were only rated for about a 12 year life span, and I figure your truck is at least that old. I'm trying to find some pictures of a PVC contraption that was mounted on the outside of the truck and discharged into the top fill. The fill rate is faster, but you still need some type if stream diverter at the end of the pipe going into the tank. If I can get the pictures, I'll get in touch with you for an address. I think the are being sent in the mail and are not an electronic file. Be careful about using a pumper to fill the tank, you could damage it at a high fill/flow rate.

Default thanks

Thank you for the information. I will look into more about the truck. It is a truck built in the 70's and unfortunatly for me I am about the only one on my shift that cares if we know what we need to do and how to do it if we actually have an incident on the airport. The irony is that I am the only one on my shift who doesn't want to be there. Everyone else is just happy being on the ARFF crew til retirement. I can't wait to get back on an engine or ladder company.

Thread Information