Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default How to check the hydrostatic test date on Scott Carbon fiber cylinders

Hey guys, quick question. on the newer scott tanks, (carbon fiber ones) theres a serial number an a bunch of other numbers, now i know that ours go in for testing every 3 years, and when they do they get stickers and their "glued on" with that stuff. But i think some of the newer bottles are to new to have been tested yet, where is the date code located? in the serial number? Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its on the white label there somewhere. It will be the month and year the cylinder was manufactured. Go 5 years from that date for the hydro test date requirment.

Forum Member

It's there with the serial number, DOT number, etc. Better check to see if the Carbon's get the 3 or 5 year test. I'm thinkin it may be 3.

Default Test dates

Any carbon fiber cylinders that have been Hydrostatic tested or manufactured after July of 2001 are five year test. When these cylinders first came out they were three year. Example: If you bought cylinders in July of 1997 you should have tested them in July of 2000 and July of 2003. The next test date would be July 2008.

I hope that this helps. But you should check with the company that tests your cylinders to be sure.

Dennis

MembersZone Subscriber

Hopefully a picture will attach here. Just above the SCOTT wording is 8 A 04 - meaning that this cylinder was manufactured in the 8th month (August) of 2004. Not quite sure what the funny A character means.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 03-05-2005 at 05:27 AM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Any carbon fiber cylinders that have been Hydrostatic tested or manufactured after July of 2001 are five year test. When these cylinders first came out they were three year. Example: If you bought cylinders in July of 1997 you should have tested them in July of 2000 and July of 2003. The next test date would be July 2008.
    Dennis,

The info I got from the sales rep was that after the initial 3 year test, it gets tested after 5 years, regardless of the date. Is this incorrect?

MembersZone Subscriber

The 2 bottles we got in the other day has the hydro stamped up on the collar near the stem.

I can not say for sure. I was told that cylenders made after that July 2001 date are five year test. If the sales rep told you that your first test needs to be at three, test at three.

Hope this helps

Dennis

Forum Member

Originally posted by firepics

Dennis,

The info I got from the sales rep was that after the initial 3 year test, it gets tested after 5 years, regardless of the date. Is this incorrect?
    This is correct if you are using the new carbon fiber bottles. Our department has a mixture of bottles (all Scott) and we have elected to stay with the 3 year test (even the carbon fiber) so there will be no confussion. May cost a little more but it could save us in the long run.

Hope this helps

Thread Information