MembersZone Subscriber

Question Questions on Vehicles

Our department was sucessful in obtaining funding in 2003 for PPE/Comunications equipment through this grant. In 2004 our department requested money for fire,hose, TIC, Training videos,Computer,TV/VCR, Gator and trailer and we got a rejection letter in Mid November.

We are taking a second look at what our department really needs. We need a new taker to replace our 1978 tanker that was built by the members and does not meet NFPA standards. However our newest tanker which is a 1988 meets NFPA standards. My question is would it even be wise to apply for a new tanker under this grant as our newest tanker is a 1988?.

Our newest truck in our entire fleet is the 1991 ambulance, we are a rural volunteer fire deaprtment taht responds to about 100- 115 calls a year which about 65-70 are EMS related.

Any advice would be very helpful.

We may reapply for some of the items in last years grant if the a vehicle won't make the grade

Bob Bauer
    Auburndale Joint Fire and Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

For grant purposes, what is old or high mileage?

Lots of 20-30 yr old 2nd/3rd hand pumpers in the small rural depts in our area. Many have less than 20000mi. Converted tankers, commerical chassis may be very high miles.

20 year old non NFPA compliant pumper with 15000 mi or a 17 year old unbaffled milk truck with 250000mi a better bet?
    Last edited by neiowa; 03-07-2005 at 03:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our newest tanker(1988) was a former milk truck, when had this refurbished to meet NFPA 1901 and it has about 125,000 miles on it. Our oldest (1978)has about 105,000 miles on and this truck does not meet any NFPA standards. I realize that there are many departments that have old engines out there. Our engine is a 1989 model with about 12,500 miles on it. Our rural department normally averages about 50 fire related calls per year.

If we are to request funds for a new tanker it would be equipped with a 500 GPM pto pump so this truck could help as a backup to our only engine in the event it breaks down.

I guess before I go through all the work to request funds to purchase a $200,000 truck that meets our desireed needs I would like to know if we even have a remote chance of it being approved.

Any feedback or comments are welcome.

Forum Member

At the dept that I am an explorer at, we have many trucks that are old but are getting replaced in the near future. Our 1978 aerial platform is due to be replaced this year, a 1979 GMC Rescue/HAZMAT may or may not be replaced after it is sold, and a 1976 Chevy Safety Officers vehicle will get replaced. They are all first line trucks that have been depended on for a long time.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Bob,
    Call volume will hurt you a little. Last year the newest vehicle I have heard of being replaced was an '86 or '87. The mileage of your vehicles is good (over 100K). Your department will have to decide if they want to roll the dice on a vehicle - only about 20-25% of the total funding (less this year, due to the inclusion of EMS/RS) or take a little higher percentage on the Ops/Safety (75% of funding). Also, almost 40% off all apps last year were for only 25% of the funding (for vehicles). So your odds are MUCH better on the Ops/Safety side.

I will say, they give higher priority to Instructor-led courses that meet national and/or state certification, rather than the self-taught courses or video courses. You could probably make a few changes to last years - focus on instructor led (even if you have to spend more $ to send FFs off to school) and score higher.

Just my 2 cents...
    Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Dixie is right on the money. It appears you took a shopping cart approach to your rejected grant. Asking for too many things is a surefire way to get rejected. If you are not rated for two tankers, you are not going to get funded on the tanker. Older means 30+ years, higher mileage means 100,000+ miles in FEMA speak!

By the way I libve in Auburndale; Florida that is a lot warmer than your area I imagine!

Thread Information