Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default prices for custom pumper/tanker

hey i was just wondering if anyone knows how much fema will allow for a custom truck..fully equipt. 6 man cab. any help will be greatful

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Class A custom pumper was around $225K, unless there were specific features mentioned that were needed that drove the price up, which all had to be detailed in the narrative. Stuff like CAFS, making it a pumper-tanker, rescue-pumper with hydraulic tool reels, light tower, etc, etc. As long as it's justified, there really is no limit.

MembersZone Subscriber

BC or others

Lets assume vehicle app (Priority One) make it past the computer scoring - old or high mileage truck; call volume; # of apparatus; need this type of truck to fill a legitimate need; etc. A good qualifing narrative that sells the project.

Does it actually make any difference in likelyhood of success what your truck project price is: For example. 1250gpm pumper - $100K for late model used 2dr Commerical or $150K new 2dr Comm; $165K new 4dr Comm; $225 New Custom cab. Good narritive that justify and add on extra items, Say $45K for CAFS. Other things being equal and of these can move just as much water, transport the same equipment, variable is how many men are carried vs by other means (POV).

I hear this payback concept. Is a small dept with lower # calls going to be rejected for their new Custom cab project in favor of same dept down the road looking for a used commercial at 1/2 the price? Or does the "why we are going with a custom chassis vs commercial chassis" narrative determine the outcome.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Custom vs commercial has no bearing, neither does 2dr vs 4dr commercial or new vs used. Each has their benefits and drawbacks. For instance, if every other truck you own is a custom, adjusting to a commercial chassis would take a bit of getting used to, so might not be the safe thing to do for your drivers.

Basically, if it's justifiable, ask for it. Word on the street is that it makes no difference how much the truck costs, or who it's for. Minor exception: I don't see you scoring high on a rural 100+' platform quint. $800K won't happen IMHO. I can see $300K in matching for a CAFS pumper though for nearly everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats pretty much what I'm seeing. Justifying what you need being substantially more important than pennypinching (cost/benefit).

We need to think thru what a custom cab would do for us vs a 4dr commercial cab. We have had nothing but 20vr old 2dr commerial cabs. Custom cab/chassis last longer, higher "tradein" 20 years from now. __________?

Thread Information