Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pump Class Contents

I would like to know what you all think should be included in a basic pump ops class and an advanced pump ops class. I have the NFPA standard for pump operator qualifications, but what are some of the classes you guys have taught or attended including in their basic and advanced level programs?

MembersZone Subscriber sdff1520's Avatar

Check out the Delmar Driver/Operator course. Pumps, operations, hydraulics, driving, etc... excelent program.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If you decide to put together a class on your own, be sure you have a section on hydraulics that explains how to calculate friction loss. I have been to 2 classes in my area, and no one has bothered to teach this in their classes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Spend time on trouble shooting a pump. With the new pressure governors and computer aided pumps we have lost the art of troubleshooting. Too many times when the engine idles up they are too quick to push the idle button without understanding what is happening. When this happens the guys fighting the fire lose pressure and Murphy's Law really takes over. Knowing and understanding the how's and why's of these psi governors is esssential to being proficient and effecient.

Hydraulics is another lost skill. Most people are content with knowing where the preset button is and not understanding that the preset is for the bread and butter operations. Throwing a scenario where they are operating as the base engine of a large (multiple line)fire will drive home the point. 2-1 3/4 lines with fog nozzles, 2 2 1/2 lines with a fog tip and a smooth bore, and throw a master stream (elevated or not. Now have them determine the pressures needed, if the gpms available is enough and # of supply lines needed. Standpipes and UDC loads are other hydraulic calculations that they should learn.

Just a few ideas that I have observed over time.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Mulldog; 03-09-2005 at 01:31 PM.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

You need to make clear that everyone needs to break out the calibrated guages and pump their hose as friction loss can vary widely depending on your hose. Old low bid vs new top of the line, we're talking about differences in 10's not 1's.

Thread Information