Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Ford f-350 problems (moved)

I moved this thread from another area of the list

Looking for medics/fleet managers/ff that have had problems with the 6.0 superduty fords - peticularly of interest are smoke and surging problems. I am in charge of vehicle maint. and we've had our brand new front line rig out for over a month - nobody knows whats wrong with it, but I've heard rumors of this being a bigger problem. Please let me know if you've experienced it, or if you know of a Dept. that has and someone I can speak to about it. Thank you!

WE own 3 F-350 ambulances, and we have noticed that when it is cold out (below -10C) that they seem to start to smoke and stutter somewhat. In talking with one our captains who is a shop foreman in a Ford dealership and is in the know on these engines that this is normal performance when the are idling in the cold. I did not get into it in detail with him but it has to do with an exhaust valve in the exhaust system closing down to concerve heat for the engine. Other than that I cannot tell you much more except that our rigs have not had any problems due to this happening.

Forum Member

The Ford 6.0 litre has been plagued by a couple of minor problems. One is a simple computer glich between the engine and tranny. Causes surging and smoke - incorrect gear selections, apparently it is a simple fix. Number 2 - there have been reports of injector problems. This was more noteable in the earlier models. Usually means replacing the injectors, Im not sure if it is one cylinder in particular. The other is a simple fix in the transmission itself, sorry cant remember the cause.

The engines have a butter fly valve to keep heat in the engine if is cold. Sometimes this valve can malfunction and it basically shuts of the airflow to the turbo ( or from) non the less it sucks the power out of the engine (litterally). The old 7.3 had the same problem!

Hope that helps - for more info contact an actual diesel mechanic from ford - the general mechanics wont have a clue and you can wind up spending a pile on them screwing around!

Dave
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Angry f-350

The rig involved is a 2004 SD, ambulance. The ford dealership and the diesel tech, and the service manage seem to think it has something to do with the high idle installed by the ambulance manufacturer. I have little a clue as to what could be wrong. I fix computers, not engines. It's had the computer (speaking of such) reprogrammed x2, and ford can't seem to figure out what is wrong otherwise. So unless I can pin the tail on the doo-hickey and find a few possible causes, I'm stuck playing hit or miss until the day it runs right (which is seeming more and more like the day it gets replaced.)

If they think it is the high idle then have you tried it with the high idle disconected. Also what brand is the rig.

Forum Member

Might want to try this link

www.fordtrucks.com

scrole down to the 6.0 forum - lots of very good info there.

SBLGFD

I've got a few suggestions.Not all Ford dealerships have a decent diesel tech.The 6.0 has a few little quirks NOT found in the 7.3. There also have been some programming issues. A site I'd recommend looking at is Iatn,there are a LOT of technicians from all over the world who "hang out" there and there are probably a dozen of the best Powerstroke technicians in the world who regularly help with Powerstroke problems.If you have smoke and surging,you HAVE a problem.These ARE NOT normal conditions for this engine.You can also locate a Iatn shop thru their locator. Hope this helps. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

The smoke/rolling idle problems of the 6.0 are all computer related issues. If your 6.0 has these symptoms bring it to the dealer and have them reflash the truck with the latest program. The 6.0 like the 7.3 has individual unit injectors which if not programmed correctly can pose numerous problems. Early 6.0s Pre may 2003 had a lot of injector problems resulting in diesel fuel in the crankcase. If caught early the engine could be saved and only the injectors would need to be replaced.

All in all the 6.0 is a good engine. Its track record is just as good as the duramax and the cummins. A simple computer reprogram should eliminate the rolling idle and smoke no problem.

If anyone wants to visit the BEST site on ford/international diesels go to: www.thedieselstop.com

Forum Member

As far as reliability, how can you say that? It's a new engine. ALL I heard in all the reasearch I have done tells me one thing, and that's not to buy a Ford again. the 6.0 has been plauged with problems from day 1. It's now just an optional engine - not a standard choice. This rig has been in the shop since February 8. Not even the Ford techicians have a clue what's going on. But that is not what this thread is about. I'm trying to locate the problem, or at the minimum find other people with the same and similar problem. Please let me know if you can help, thanks.

Forum Member

Oh and they've now reprogrammed the computer 3 times. The first 2 were updates. No news yet on the 3rd.

MembersZone Subscriber

The 6.0 is a very reliable engine. Infact there are more 6.0s out there than any other diesel pickup (dodge/GM) combined. The problems are spotted with most occuring during the 2003 production year. I have a 2003 6.0 with 75000 miles and no problems at all. I also have an 05 that runs perfect. Im not saying every 6.0 is perfect, some did have their problems.

The 6.0 was never a standard option. If you get an E350 or F350 you can get a 5.4 V8, 6.0 V8, or a 6.8 V10. If you get a E450 or F450/550 the standard engine is the V10. Ford never made the diesel standard.

Default Stay the course

When all else has been tried and nothing is being corrected, only Ford can make an offer to buy back the cab/chassis. Ford has done so on some vehicles. All with the PowerStroke diesel/Automatic Transmission combo. The problems apparently exist with the ECM and Transmission ECU interface. At times the turbocharger malfunctions to the point that it cannot be repaired, or was not manufactured correctly. The result is that the waste gate (computer controlled function) and/or the variable pitch function (computer controlled) do not operate properly. There have been more than 3 updates and reflash of the computer. Some computers have been replace completely. It is when no one can solve the problem that you ask for a replacement chassis. Work with your dealer to have them get the body and buildup changed over at Ford's expense. Do not listen to others that would have you make ANY modifications outside the Ford repair system. Once you lay a wrench to it by outside tinkerers, you bought it. ANd, your unit now has a HISTORY within the Ford warranty system. You should be able to get Ford to fix the issues on your chassis for the lifetime that you own it. Stay the course. Now is the time to demand from Ford to get their Factory Engineering Division experts on the ball and make the necessary repairs NOW. Keeping the repair issue at the local level is not productive. Get Ford factory techs involved. This is considered priority in the Ford system as a "Critical Vehicle Down".

Respectfully submitted,

Tony

Forum Member

Thanks Tony -

I contacted Fleet customer care. they are working with the dealer now on the issue and it's (hopeful) resolution - they say that it has worked well in Canada so hopefully it will work out here. Forget dealing with the local yokels if you get this issue - take it into them, then immediately call Fleet Customer care - get them on it early and let them know what you found out here.

Forum Member

Trusty Canadians fixing the Fords! Must be the weather

wnfdengine23 - dont you think ford should make the 6.0 standard? The gas engines, especially the v10 I have found to be gas guzzling, under powered, junk. V-10 also had problems with blowing the spark plugs out! Stick with diesel you cant go wrong!

Did I mention that not ALL Ford dealerships have a decent diesel tech.The 6.0 is NOT a problem engine.It's had some issues in early production with injectors(so did the Duramax).It's had some issues with programming(not that GM EVER had programming issues).The list of TSB's (Technical service bulletins)on ANY Ford is considerably smaller than the stack on Chrysler or GM products.And as a shop owner who's fixed a lot of "dealer lemons"who have lead a long and useful life after a proper repair,I can assure you that ANY vehicle can be fixed.But in order to do so,you need to know more than the vehicle.Contacting the Ford regional rep is a good place to start,they've got acess to more resources than the average dealer.We're just starting to see the 6.0's now so I'm sure we'll be a lot more familiar with them shortly. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree they all have there share of problems. But the 6.0 is proving itself to be a good motor. Ford tries to stand by its products as best it can. If it seems as if ford wouldnt fix a problem, its probably because the dealership didnt do their part.

As far as the V10, the 05 V10 is a powerhouse. It has gone from 310hp to 362 which makes it more powerful than the diesel. However it does have less torque with 457. But it has more torque than any other gas engine. It is now mated to the torqueshift like the diesel which proved to be a very good combo.

And if you buy one you better get the optional military fuel trailer to haul behind it.That engine is a bigger gas hog than the 5.8 and we KNOW how efficient that engine was.T.C.

Forum Member

Our light rescue has a v-10 (1999)sounds like they have improved them - but I tell you that thing has absolutly no torque! Kind of the running joke when we tell some one to PIN it

T.C. - lol yeah right with the optional gas tank!

MembersZone Subscriber

No actually the V10 isnt as bad on fuel as people think. It only gets 1mpg less than the 5.4. Smaller Engine has to work harder to haul the same load. The 6.0 isnt that great on mileage. We average 14 with ours, the truck weighs in at 9800lbs.

The new 3valve V10 has 457 lbft of torque. If people know their trucks, thats more torque than the early powerstrokes. If you look at the torque graph of the new 6.0 and 6.8 you can see that the 6.8 makes more torque than the 6.0 until about 2000rpms. Thats very good for a gas engine. Infact it makes 365 lb ft at 1000 rpms which is the max torque of the 5.4. Combined with the torqueshift the 6.8 is now an animal.

Forum Member

We put a v-10 2004 Ford F-350 Super duty Swab built med. unit on the road and talk about get up, you barely need to hit the gas and it is gone. We fill the truck up like every five days, but we fill it up when it gets to half a tank. As the engineer of the truck, I've noticed that the truck loses alot of fuel when it is on calls where it idles for a while.

Thread Information