Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice rescue

Default Ice rescue

The following video link is worthwhile to anyone who could find him/herself on ice (as a victim or rescuer or rescuer-turned-victim).

The protagonist is a scientist who allows himself to fall through ice and talks about the effects of hypothermia and demonstrates self rescue. (I guess the only point that I disagree with is one suggestion about a rescuer throwing a rope with a large loop on it for the victima to put over his head and under the arms as I see too much risk at the victim letting go of the ice; I would rather use a small loop for grabbing with one hand or looping the forearm through.)

It is in a Windows-only media playing format.

Saludos.

Mitch

www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I've seen this guy on tv before. I have done some polar dips, but his 10+ minutes is sure pushing my tolerance level.

As for the rope loop, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. A significantly weakened victim will not likely have the strength to hold on to the small loop, and may have more luck sliding at least one arm and shoulder through. This should give you enough resistance to physically pull them out of the water.

Most manufactured tools for ice rescue are large enough to slip over the head and shoulder of the victim for this very reason. At the very least, the victim should be encouraged to slide the loop up to the elbow, and bend thier arm back towards thier body forming a bight on the rescue line. This will put the force of the pull mostly on thier bones, and not rely solely on thier weakened muscles.

And remember, Ice Rescue is an advanced technical rescue skill. Proper training for Firefighters is a must, lest you just end up with more victims in the water.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Default Fatigued muscles

At the very least, the victim should be encouraged to slide the loop up to the elbow, and bend their arm back towards thier body forming a bight on the rescue line.

Damned right! Must have had my head in cold water when I mentioned the hand being used, but when I said that the forearm could be looped through, I was thinking about bone vs muscle.

Also right about 1/2 dozen of one or the other. As a young kid I jumped into the deep end of a freezing cold pool and the shock to my system was incredible. Felt like a knife went through my brain; obviously did not have any protective clothing on. Doubt that I could have grabbed any loop. Was lucky that I was next to the ladder, and even then still do not know how I got out.

Again, last year I was in cold water and was on my way out when I just started to lose it to hypothermia. I could barely move my body to keep afloat and get to shore.

Have done cold (not freezing) diving (now live near warmer water) and cramps were always a problem even with fairly good gear (wetsuits not dry).

Due to my experiences, I doubt that I could pull a loop over my head (and probably not grab and hold-on with my hand).

That guy has my respects. I doubt that your average victim could withstand what he goes through.

That's a very informative video. Living in the northeast it's always good to have that little bit more of information related to ice and such. Mutual aid departments around us have dive teams that drill regularly in ice rescue. This is the first "training" evolution I can say I have seen. Thanks once again for the video, I'll be sure to show it to my company.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

Default t13one12

My pleasure. (Not that ice rescue will help me since I am trying to get sent to the Sand, although it does snow in northern Iraq.)

Thread Information