MembersZone Subscriber

Default Non-slip floors in apparatus bay.

We have had issues with our bay floor, that was sealed with epoxy paint, for a few years now. It's slippery when wet. The powers that be never thought this was an important issue until one of them slipped. Now they want to fix the it. Here is the problem. The floor is uneven so whenever water is on it we have to use squeeges to get the water to the drain so an epoxy and grit on the floor is not desireable. Do any of you know of a product that can be applied over the existing epoxy that creates traction when wet but isn't abrasive?

MembersZone Subscriber

My company applies a type of bed liner, that is sprayed on, yet is not rigid like Rhino-Liner. It is non-slip, comes in over 650 colors, can be sprayed over any surface with a light sanding, and can be given a texture, or sprayed on smooth.

We recently sprayed it in our rescue. In the bed, as well as inside of the compartments. We have had no complaints, even after bed has gotten wet, equipment refuses to slide.....purposelly , or not.

Forum Member

We have a similar situation in my company. The dips in the floor get annoying when washing the trucks, and our floor is more than slippery when wet, it's down right dangerous if we come running in for a call.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

Permanently Removed

Default Yo...

I dont know alot in the area, but could a local home improvement
    center (Home Depot, Lowes) be able to help you out?

unrepentant fool
    back home for the first time in MANY years

Wonder if they could put a non-textured version of that rubberized stuff down -- the same kind that goes on running tracks? I don't know for sure, but it might be worth looking into.

Forum Member

there are products out on the market that are considered self leveling. Basically, it is "skreeted" around on the floor to help on the slight imperfections. HIGH DOLLAR. plus you have unGodly "stand" time that is more than likely unacceptable. (around 48hrs curing time). You should really contact a coating contractor around your area if you think about this option.

Another suggestion would be to repaint the foot traffic areas with a good 2 part epoxy and then broadcast(broadcast, don't sling it out like you are feeding the chickens, you won't like the results) a good grade sand. I know that you don't want the grit due to the squeeging that must be done, but if you minimize the areas treated, it shouldn't be too bad. Plus it wouldn't take much to get the grip you need. This would leave the "footprint" of the rig untreated and much easier to squeegie.

Just my opinion, ya know
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input guys. And yeah I've checked with the local hardware chain stores and concrete supply houses with the same results. It looks like we will end up with the epoxy and grit. I did come across a product called Grip-On that you have to re-apply every two years that is supposed to be undetectable until it is wet then it provides traction. I figure it is to good to be true though. If any of you down in Florida have heard of this please let me know soon.
    Thanks,

MembersZone Subscriber

Although they didn't do the greatest install job, two of our stations have epoxy coated floors with some grit. We have no issues with moving water with a squeegee, and enough traction that it isn't slippery except where they didn't do an adequate job spreading the grit.

Forum Member

Some advise for ya, if you have to walk over the freshly painted surface to apply your non slip material, wear a pair of old golf shoes with metal spikes. They'll keep you off the wet paint and you won't ruin your Reeboks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good advise snowball, I learned that trick doing tile.

Thread Information