Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Extrication Coat Recommendations

With all the health studies that show heat exhaustion as a top cause of firefighter injuries and fatigue, Im going to suggest to my department that we look into purchasing separate coats for our MVA/Extrication work. Summertime is a killer for us with our turnout coats. I often find myself admonishing my crew for not having the proper gear on and hear over and over, we're burning up. Winter seems to be another story, they appreciate the extra layers.
    I've tried to do some searches for extrication gear, but Im finding limited responses. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand or what features to look for in a good extrication coat. We will continue to wear turnout pants.
    Thanks in advance for any responses

Forum Member

This subject seems to come up often. The conflict is always "NFPA Approved" which is a good point. But as you stated when the weather conditions make the proper gear unbearable the "approved" gear is removed and we have a zero level of protection. There are several options on the market. I would suggest that any alternate gear you select would have some kind of rating. American Firewear has a line of NFPA approved "non-structure protective garments". You can visit their website at www.firewear.com and see the jumpsuits or the two piece extrication gear that they offer. You may visit my website at www.zmagrescue.com to down load a sizing chart and order form (Yes, they are a part of the products I offer, shoot me now) While they may cost a bit more then non-rated appearal, they are approved for the job, custom made to fit, and save a lot of wear and tear on the expensive gear.

Zmag

Sta22BeaverCoPA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Are the extrication suits all blue ? Oh yeah "Z" is also a strong supporter of the Blue Man Group !!!!

But on the subject, need to find gear that has some flash protection and if possible a blood borne pathogen barrier, of course if you puncture it you lose that protection. Suggestion: Ricochet, Topps, American Firewear.

Forum Member

Royal Blue, Navy Blue, Red, Yellow, Tan and Black. But the "Z" Blue is very nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

When the weather gets warmer here we have the option of wearing Wildland gear for vehicle extrications. Our coats and pants are 7.5 oz nomex and we wear them over our station uniform. They offer good protection and are durable. We order from a company out of Los Angeles, Transcon www.transconmfg.com We have had good success with this company and they're reasonably priced.
    Todd D.Meyer
    Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One
    tmeyer@piercefire.org

Thread Information