Thread: Graduate School

Forum Member

Default Graduate School

I recently completed my BS. After enjoying the break from studying, writing papers and taking tests, I suddenly found myself yearnin' for some more learnin'. And why not? A graduate degree would help my chances of promotion down the line (waaay down the line), and could even offer some part time employment opportunities.

Here's my problem: I know I want to go back to school, I just donít know what program to go with. What masters program would be applicable to the fire service AND offer part time employment opportunities?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are in NJ, you go to a MS Program in Public Management offered by Fairleigh Dickinson University. They offer classes on campus and at a myriad of satellite locations. There is no thesis and career public safety officials recieve a 50% tuition discount.

Forum Member

The Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) located in Monterry, CA has a Masters program in Homeland Security designed for local/state/federal employees involved in Homeland Security type jobs.

MembersZone Subscriber

The nice thing about MPA's and MBA's is the fact that the curricula are targeted toward working professionals. Their schedules are more flexible (and I use that term loosely) than most other graduate degree programs. Many classes are offered at night and on weekends.

Anything along these lines is also universally applicable to most any occupation - not just emergency services.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Uni of New Haven

Depending on what you're looking for, the University of New Haven offers a Graduate Degree in National Security at their main campus in Connecticut, Sandia National Laboratory in Livermore, California, and Arlington, Virginia. A new site has been added at Sandia National Laboratory in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Description of the Educational Program
    The National Security Program provides students with an understanding of the fundamental principles of the legal charter; presidential executive orders and the framework which guides the operation of national security agencies. Specifically, the role and function of the U.S. agencies comprising the intelligence community will be analyzed with emphasis upon Information Protection and Security. The concentration in Information Protection and Security will provide a unique approach to addressing the issue of cyberterrorism and providing assurance of our information management systems within our national security agencies. Research issues in public safety emergency management and homeland security will be emphasized. Finally, corporate security and itís new relationship to the role of homeland and national security will comprise a rich element of the research inquiry.

They also offer MS's in other related fields http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/graduate.html

Criminal Justice
    Fire Science
    Forensic Science
    Industrial Hygiene
    National Security
    Professional Counseling
    Occupational Safety and Health Management

I got my MA in Political Science/Public Policy from a different school, but my objective was to work in government and I am.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information