Forum Member

Default Firefighting Lifestyle

So I am currently trying to convince a friend to enter the fire/medic career path. He is pre-med currently but thinks he would probably enjoy the lifestyle of being a fire/medic more. We are both heavily involved in field emergency services currently and I need your help to convince him to stay! I'm interested in hearing opinions from fellow brothers on your lifestyles, having reasonable time off, and also (I know we aren't in it for the money, but we got to eat right?) what are some of the average salaries of various departments. Thanks a lot for the help!

Forum Member

Personally this is my opinion. This job is not for everyone. Yea, you only work 10+/- days a month, you become apart of a brotherhood like no other, and your job can be very rewarding. The thing is, the job can also cause a lot of stress.. both on you and your family. Having to deal with tradegy, death, injury, etc. as much as firefighters and other emergency workers deal with it can be very emotionally scaring. As much as I hate to use cliches.. You really have to love the job, and it has to be your passion. I can't tell you how many people I've seen come and go from the emergency services simply because they were in it for the wrong reason... and I've only been doing if for 6 years! For me it was something that I knew I'd do when I was 4. I had friends that joined with me when I was a Jr.. they didn't last. I know several friends who suffer from PTSS because of certain incidents that they encountered as firefighters. I'll be the first to admit that the Fire/Emergency Service is probably one of the best professions.. and I won't do anything else. Where else can you gain the friendship and family like you get in the Fire Service. It is something that many people don't know/understand about the fire service. We joke, we argue, we get on each others nerves, but we will ALWAYS be there for each other. As for my advice.. I won't push the issue too much. If your friend really wants to do it.. than they will. Like I said, not everyone can handle all the bad that comes with the good of this job. Either you love the life and live by it, or you wonder, "Are these guys crazy?!? I sure am glad they do what they do" The best thing that I'd suggest is to stay active volunteering or working with the local squad. If your friend finds that they like the job.. then they'll stick with it. Your friend could always volunteer the rest of their life if they don't want to make it a profession. The key piece of advice that I'd take from all my rambling would be to not try to force them do something they don't truly love. It is probably one of the toughest, but most rewarding jobs.. some people just can't handle it all.

Forum Member

thanks for your reply. I guess I should be more specific. The main thing that I am looking for are some average salaries from various areas. I know that they differ with cost of living, coast to coast, etc... and I definately know we aren't in it for the money... but we make more than most would think, esspecially with ot. yes, this job definatley isn't for everyone... but we are both fairly seasoned and both have been in the business over 5 years. It's not a question of whether he enjoys the job.

Forum Member

$70,000ish Northeast ohio

Forum Member

$46,000 a year and going down for top step ff in Bridgeport, Ct. Stay in med school.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Forum Member

thanks for the replies... apparently I am not doint a good job communicating though... hard without a radio mic eh.... not trying to convince him of anything I guess that was a miss-speak. Rather, he is torn between the two and can see the pro's con's of each as can I. I agree however with him that his lifestyle outside the job would prob be a little better working fireside as he would have more family time, etc. Told him I'd post hear to get some opinions of what others think of the job and an average salary (I know the one's around hear but they seem to differ from state to state a bit). Hey thanks for the help

Starting base, about $35,000/yr plus bennies. I have been in 3.5 years at my dept, made a lil less than $70,000 last year with OT and regular salary

Near Sacramento, Ca

Thread Information