Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nfpa 13

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nfpa 13

Could someone give me a head here. I am not able to get my hands on a copy of NFPA 13 and I need to find out the number of sprinkler heads required for a room 16' * 16'. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

You're a safety coordinator with a BS and you come on an internet forum to get code advice? That's pathetic.

BUY A FREAKIN'COPY!

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think buying it will help. As I recall NFPA 13 is the STANDARD for installation. You need to do some hydraulic calculations and other engineering magic to figure out whats needed......

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Exclamation

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    You're a safety coordinator with a BS and you come on an internet forum to get code advice? That's pathetic.

BUY A FREAKIN'COPY!

2 heads!

I agree with you George.

Any how here is the NFPA web link, Go forth and seek!!

http://www.nfpa.org

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

George,

Just because I have a BS in Safet doesn't mean I have the dam codes in my head. And the company I work for will not purchase a copy. So you can go think what you want. SOrry I can remember everything in my head like you.
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MacInnis
    George,

Just because I have a BS in Safet doesn't mean I have the dam codes in my head. And the company I work for will not purchase a copy. So you can go think what you want. SOrry I can remember everything in my head like you.
    For one thing, I don't memorize codes. My reference to your degree was that, if you learned anything, it should have been the right way to conduct research. If your company won't buy the code, do something imaginitive. The complete set of National Fire Codes is in my local county library. What about another FD?

By conducting research on this forum, you are either lazy or incredibly trusting. For every person on here who knows what they are talking about, there are 6 idiots who do not have a clue.

MembersZone Subscriber

George,

I will give you that. But I am neither trusting nor lazy. This was something that was put on me today and was needing a quick reference of an idea. Untill I get the chance to run to the library my self. I wish I had the oppurtunity to run out from the building and get the information. And I can do research in the correct manner. You have to understand that the company I work for will not allow me to bring in any books from the house or else where. This is because we are a warehouse and shipping for an internet company that sells books. So getting a copy bringing it here is not that easy to do.
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

George,

I will give you that. But I am neither trusting nor lazy. This was something that was put on me today and was needing a quick reference of an idea. Untill I get the chance to run to the library my self. I wish I had the oppurtunity to run out from the building and get the information. And I can do research in the correct manner. You have to understand that the company I work for will not allow me to bring in any books from the house or else where. This is because we are a warehouse and shipping for an internet company that sells books. So getting a copy bringing it here is not that easy to do.
    They won't let you have the books you need to do the job? They won't let you have the time to do the job? C'mon!

If the job is that bad, get another one. Why do they have a "Safety Coordinator" if they don't want you to do the job properly?

MembersZone Subscriber

First Off.

I never said that the job was bad. But I can not bring the books into the plant with out approval. Which takes at least two or three days. They feel that NFPA 13 is a book that they do not need at this time. So I can't force them to purchase one. I am not the Manager of the department, I am a shift Coordinator. If it was up to me thing s would be done differently. The problem George is I think you have a hard time believing that others don't have access to items they need right there. Understand that it is company policy to get approval for the items. They simply will not pay for me to run 45 mins to the Universtiy and grab the books. That is not my managers fault but the company.

You personnely attacked me because I asked a simple question. And instead of understanding what a persons view and option that the time are not your doesn't make them lazy, trustful or anything else you think.

The best way to finish is to just drop the subject all together, because you can't be hopeful. And feel you need to attack people and their live and education then you need to rethink something.
    Thanks
    DM

Exclamation

If I was the Safety Coordinator, I would have at my finger tips or at least in my office all the books that I needed to do my J O B. Someone would be buying these books for me to have in my office and I would have to run here and there looking for information to do the job. Whatever company you work for must not subscribe to all safety practices.

My thoughts on this, having been there and done that.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

CaptOldTimer,

Your 100% right ont he point it should be here. he company I work has been around for about 10 years. The safety department as only been in the company for 8 months. Like I tried saying before it isn't the Manager or I, its the company not letting the itmes be purchased. Things are changing and will just take time. I guess I should have mentioned that the department was very young. The safety was previously provided by the security department. So right now we are pl;aying catch up.
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

First Off.

I never said that the job was bad. But I can not bring the books into the plant with out approval. Which takes at least two or three days. They feel that NFPA 13 is a book that they do not need at this time. So I can't force them to purchase one. I am not the Manager of the department, I am a shift Coordinator. If it was up to me thing s would be done differently. The problem George is I think you have a hard time believing that others don't have access to items they need right there. Understand that it is company policy to get approval for the items. They simply will not pay for me to run 45 mins to the Universtiy and grab the books. That is not my managers fault but the company.

You personnely attacked me because I asked a simple question. And instead of understanding what a persons view and option that the time are not your doesn't make them lazy, trustful or anything else you think.

The best way to finish is to just drop the subject all together, because you can't be hopeful. And feel you need to attack people and their live and education then you need to rethink something.
    I did try to be "hopeful". You just didn't see it.

Whatever.

Forum Member

What a pack of jerks. This guy comes to this website for some advice from firefighters (although many of you seem like fire fans) and all you can do is stroke him. Are you too busy running 15 or 20 runs a day on your departments that you can't take a minute to help this guy out? I don't think so. What, you are too cool because you are on some little fire department and this guy is not important enough for you to answer seriously? You must think pretty highly of yourselves. Do yourselves a favor and show people a little respect. Take a break from watching Ladder 49 over and over again and get over yourselves!!!!!!!

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I totally agree. Some of these forums just get out of hand. If you don't like what someone says, keep moving...
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

I'll answer the question for you...depends.

16 x 16 can be one extended coverage head, provided you have the supply to back it up, regardless of whether or not it is light or ordinary hazard.

Standard coverage heads require two in the room, only if the room is light hazard. There is a small room exception that lets heads be spaced more than 7'-6" off a wall in a light hazard room if certain requirements are met. This exception applies to only one direction off the wall.

Extended coverage heads can cover up to 400 sq. ft. 20 x 20 max, light or ordinary hazard. Some ECs are only allowed an 18 x 18 spacing.

Standard coverage heads can cover 225 sq. ft.. 15 x 15 max, for light hazard.

Standard coverage heads can cover 130 sq. ft., with no greater than a 15 foot throw in one direction. 10 x 13, 15 x 8.5, etc. This is for ordinary hazard.

This is, of course, not talking sidewalls, or some other goofy specialty head, or some crazy hazard class, or ESFRs, etc.

I do this stuff for a living, and I do not have NFPA 13, 13R or 13D anywhere near memorized. Lots of little flags and tabs in my code books though.
    Last edited by npfd801; 03-09-2005 at 06:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

NpFD,

Thanks,..

George and Capt.. I did not intend this to go this way and I am sorry if you feel I offended either of you. So all will know I do not work for a Fire Department. I work for a general Industry / warehouse. Like I said in previous post, we are a new department and the company doesn't understand the needs that a Safety Department needs. I am a hourly paid employeee for the time being. If and when I get in the position to run the department, believe me the library will be updated and increased. As it stand now the manager and I have provided most of the books (such as NFPA 101, Protection Handbook and others). Ordering a new book will take a few days, and bringing in one would take at least 3 days approval. I was jsut merly looking for some general information to hold them over untill I was able to get to the university and review a copy.
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

NpFD,

Thanks,..

George and Capt.. I did not intend this to go this way and I am sorry if you feel I offended either of you. So all will know I do not work for a Fire Department. I work for a general Industry / warehouse. Like I said in previous post, we are a new department and the company doesn't understand the needs that a Safety Department needs. I am a hourly paid employeee for the time being. If and when I get in the position to run the department, believe me the library will be updated and increased. As it stand now the manager and I have provided most of the books (such as NFPA 101, Protection Handbook and others). Ordering a new book will take a few days, and bringing in one would take at least 3 days approval. I was jsut merly looking for some general information to hold them over untill I was able to get to the university and review a copy.
    You just made my point.

1. You ARE lazy and wanted a quick answer with you doing no work.

2. You just took advice from someone you don't have the slightest clue who he is, what his background is or even if he is right.

And Chicago, I have never seen Ladder 49 and probably won't. I am relatively certain that, in the area we are speaking about here, I have more experience opening my office door than you have years alive.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Then again - if you don't believe what anyone says on here, why post questions, or even post answers? Should anyone be trusted?

I suspect if my info was incorrect, someone would jump all over me as happens with every other issue on the board. We all seem more than happy to prove someone is wrong.

MacInnis - don't go writing municipal code based on my post now...

Good to know only the self-appointed experts on the boards are the only ones to be trusted.

MembersZone Subscriber

George,

All I did was thank the guy.

Second you come on here and call me lazy. Hey I don't know the guy and do you know me. NO you don't so before you start on with your I got to jump this guy because I don't do that. Just let it go and we will agree not to agree. All your points have been taken and most have been understood and agreed by me.

I do agree that one shouldn't take everything on here to be gospel. I never said I was going too. But if you think that some shouldn't listen to others on here, then expect the same on your posts and comments. The problem is you can't seem to grasp what I was needing and maybe I didn't explain myself the best at first. But to shot down someones place of employment because it isn't up to your standards is way out of line. You knew nothing of who I work for, how long the department was there, etc. You just assumed that they had to be 100% correct. The thing is when you work for a private non-fire department you can't always say hey I need this tom. You have to go through the chain of purchasing and sometimes it get denied.

Can you understand the postion I was in. No because you were not there. Now I can take the you shold look it up your self, etc comments. But I do believe you need to apoligize for saying I was lazy. So let me ask you if your on shift can you jump in your car and drive to the library. I was in a spot where I could not go, and didn't have to resource with me. I guess I am just laxy like you said. I should jumped up, pounced out and went to the library for free and got the info. Because I have so much money that I can afford it.

So lets just end it now.
    Thanks
    DM

Thread Information