Banned

Default blue light certificate????????

I have just got a blue light certificate from my fire chief and have a few questions for you guys.
    my fire chief was telling us that when called out to a fire or medical emergency the blue light is only for identification purposes only and therfore if we come to a red stop light we have to stop and wait for the light to change to green. if this is the case what is the point of the blue light. he also stated that it will not allow you to exceed the speed limit even by 10 mph. is it just that iowa is backward i mean how stupid would it look if you are responding to a call with the light flashing only to have to stop and wait. I have looked at iowa code 321.423 and i am just confused as to what i can or cannot do/ any help would be appreciated
    paul

Forum Member

my fire chief was telling us that when called out to a fire or medical emergency the blue light is only for identification purposes only and therfore if we come to a red stop light we have to stop and wait for the light to change to green. if this is the case what is the point of the blue light. he also stated that it will not allow you to exceed the speed limit even by 10 mph.
    If you can't follow your department's rules and regulations, maybe you shouldn't be there...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

There was nothing mentioned about following dept rules codes or anything else. this is not a dept thing it is a DOT thing i was asking as i would not like to think i did anything that could earn me a ticket from law enforcement. I have a duty not to endenger bot myself or others. and i was asking if anyone knows what is allowed or not allowed. so i do not know where you get the idea i cannot follow dept rules. this has nothing to do with dept rules as the cert is issued by the DOT

Forum Member

Originally posted by pengman
    There was nothing mentioned about following dept rules codes or anything else. this is not a dept thing it is a DOT thing i was asking as i would not like to think i did anything that could earn me a ticket from law enforcement. I have a duty not to endenger bot myself or others. and i was asking if anyone knows what is allowed or not allowed. so i do not know where you get the idea i cannot follow dept rules. this has nothing to do with dept rules as the cert is issued by the DOT
    I believe this statement by you at the start of this thread contradicts the above statement:
    I have just got a blue light certificate from my fire chief and have a few questions for you guys.
    Since the certificate is issued by the fire chief, you have to follow his/her rules since he/she can pull the certificate for violating his/her rules. Any department can make rules more stringent than the state rules and they have to be followed or you will find yourself in the position of not having the need for a blue light or not having a bluelight certficate.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Default Re: blue light certificate????????

Originally posted by pengman
    if this is the case what is the point of the blue light.

Exactly!!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Banned

I got the permit last night. I had asked him for sometime for a permit and the dept did not have any so i had to call the DOT for some and had them sent to the dept there are several guys that have had lights and just never got a permit as they did not see the need. i wanted them to stay on the right side of the law. I asked my chief and what is described above is his understanding of what is meant on it. the only thing that it says on the certificate is
    All privately owned vehicles equipped with with blue lights are required to carry this application validated by the fire chief, authorizing the use of blue lights
    this certificate is valid for the display of a blue light for identification purposes only at such time the vehicle is operated enroute or responding to a fire or transporting persons in an emergency. it would be good if it came with something that states what is allowed and not allowed. I have been in the dept only for 1 year and this is the first time i have had one issued so i want to make sure i do things right

Forum Member

Exclamation

I don't think DOT or whatever you mean has anything to do with it. It is a State Police rules that governs lights for volley's and well as paid depts.

IF you can not follow the rules set forth by the Fire Chief, then I suggest that you turn in you little blue light and gear and find something else that fit you better.

Fire Depaertment's are made up with a lot of rules and regulations and if you can't abide by them, them you need to tell the Chief and abide by his or her ruling!!!

http://members.aol.com/webmast999/Whacker.htm

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Banned

I do not know where you get this following rules from nothing i have said states i do not and will not follow rules. If i could not follow rules i would not be an emt also. I follow all protocols and standing orders to the letter. the last thing i would want to do is endanger someone elses life. I had a question and was hoping to get someone that could help in answering my question and not attack me for asking.

Banned

the permit is from iowa department of transportation and is validated by the fire chiefs signature it is a restricted form that you just cannot go to your local driving license office and ask for one. maybe i was not clear enough i just do not know. I have found some information that i think answers the question. i need to read it some more to understand it but i will post what i find.

Forum Member

i get where you are coming from we have the same basic thing in my town. the rules are if you have a light then yes you SHOULD follow all traffic laws. haveing a light does not make you an emergency vechicle and so yes when you come to a stop light or stop sign you have to stop. but the reason in haveing one is if coming down the open road and someone is in front you they will know that you are fire/rescue and should move and allow you to pass. if you come to a stop light and its red unplug your light and wait. then when it turns green turn it back on. i have a light and depending on were i am and what time of day or night it is i might run it and i might not just use your head. o yea and most cops give you a break on the speed thing but i wouldn't go over 15 above to posted speed. hope this helps
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

Forum Member

No one attacked you pal.

You asked a question and STATED that the CHIEF had told you the resons thereforth.

Follow the Fire Chiefs directions on the use of blue or what ever lights. You driving your POV, is not considered as an emergency vehicle.

As a matter of note, Most states rules on running lights and sirens, says that the vehicle must come to a complete stop and then proceed, ONLY and only when it is safe to do. In other words you can't bust a stop sign or red traffic signal.

I have on many occasions stop the siren when in heavy traffic and the signal ahead was RED and we had cars blocking us from getting to the intersection. If you force a private vehicle out into an intersection and they are in an accident, you as the driver and/or officer can be held for causing the accident.

People get confused when seeing a red, blue or even a amber light flashing and tend to stop dead in the street and block out the emergergeny vehicle.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    People get confused when seeing a red, blue or even a amber light flashing and tend to stop dead in the street and block out the emergergeny vehicle. [/B]
    That is why I don't have lights on my POV. Most of the time you can get where you are going almost as fast without lights and less dangerously.

TF

MembersZone Subscriber

if this is the case what is the point of the blue light.
    >>Huge sigh<<

"Dude. Come here. Sit down.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the Chief didn't want you to have a blue light?"

Call me silly, but I think that you might have just a teensy-weensy bit of growing up to do. Leave the blue light in the box, man.

Banned

thanks guys i think you have just gave me the answer i was looking for. i was checking the codes and they were confusing me. so once again i thank you for your replies and help

Forum Member

AHHH the "blue light". Just forget about it. It may give you the sense that you can speed by heightning adrenaline going to calls.

If you want to outfit your POV and speed and run red lights - then register as an emergency vehicle - if you can afford the isurance! If you went that route you may also be cofused with "A WHACKER"

Forget the lights - they are a pain that do nothing except tell people you have a blue light - woo hoo!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats nothing , we can only go 10mph over in the apparatus when responding to calls , and have to almost pretty much stop at stop lights when responding. And your bitching about having to do it in your pov , whatever to each his own series of aggrivations and problems.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

Originally posted by firepimp
    Thats nothing , we can only go 10mph over in the apparatus when responding to calls , and have to almost pretty much stop at stop lights when responding.
    Just curious, but are you complaining about those procedures?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

I have got by without a blue light for a little over 1 year. my wife got me one for christmas and is still sat in the box. after a few months of her asking why i did not use it i decided i would get a permit just to keep her quiet. the light is still in the box, i do not have to much use for one as im in a rural dept. i drive ambulances most of the day and i did not know if the rules were the same or not. i guess it was a stupid question. I was not the only person thinking about this and wanting to know more so i had to ask and with you guys having a lot of combined experience and knowledge i thought i would ask here

Banned

Originally posted by firepimp
    Thats nothing , we can only go 10mph over in the apparatus when responding to calls , and have to almost pretty much stop at stop lights when responding. And your bitching about having to do it in your pov , whatever to each his own series of aggrivations and problems.
    in our ambulance service we can only do 10 mph over the speed limit on emercency calls also. the reason for us is that we were told that there is only one insurance carrier that is willing to insure ambulances and that is a condition of insurance. we had a paramedic fired when he was caught speeding responding to a call

Forum Member

pleaseusethepropercaseofletteratthestartofyoursent encesastheyaredifficulttoreadwhenyoudont. thankyouverymuchstayback500ft.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

Originally posted by StayBack500FT
    pleaseusethepropercaseofletteratthestartofyoursent encesastheyaredifficulttoreadwhenyoudont. thankyouverymuchstayback500ft.
    ROFLMAO
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I'm in a rural department, too. I have a blue light, use it once in a while. We in Illinois also have to have an ID that says we're on a FD if we have a blue light in our vehicle. It's an IL law. Our SOPs allow blue lights, but also tell everybody to obey the traffic laws since it doesn't give them the right of way, only asks others to get our of your way cause you're a FIREFIGHTER.
    For apparatus, we keep it at no more than 10 over the posted speed limit. We're told that 10 over is what the courts consider the max speed that a "reasonable" person would drive. So I guess if you crash at 10 over, it'd be OK with them and the insurance company, 15 over and it's your fault for driving too fast. We go through stop signs only after slowing enough to be sure it's clear. We're not afraid to stop if we need to. It's a lot better to get there 30 seconds later than to not get there at all.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I agree that blue lights have their times and places, but I always have mine on my dash board. No I'm not a whacker, but there is a large portion of the distance to my firehouse that has parking spaces that are 99% of the time empty. 90% of the people who may be traveling in front of me yield for the courtesy. If they do not do so within 3-5 seconds of me behind them, I turn it off so I don't come off as being pushy or inconsiderate. If it works, they are great, can save you some time and aggravation. If they don't, you will get there a minute or two later. If it's a reasonable call, I'm sure they will find a way to get you there if they need the manpower.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another thought

I guess that this has been beat to death already, but in NC at least, POV's are just that, regardless of how many stickers or license plates or warning lights on the car. After reading most of the replies, I don't believe I saw the word "liability" mentioned. That is one of the key reasons why you don't operate your POV outside of the motor vehicel laws. All too frequently, we have heard of firefighters killed while responding to alarms. Many of those were in POV's. And liability weighs in heavily on official apparatus as well. In NC there a phrase in the motor vehicle code that says operators must use "due regard". That's why we stop at stop signs, red lights, etc.
    Use your blue (or red) light as a courtesy light, and make it to the call safely.

Default blue light

i dont understand why you are asking what is allowed and whats not your chief done told you what was legal and illegal if someone on here told you you didnt have to stop and stop signs and redlights would you blow them then when you do and get in a accident tell your chief well joe bob on firehouse forum told me i was allowed to do that use your head listen to your chief

Thread Information