Forum Member

Default a question for all

ok i am a junior member and am still in high school. our department requires that we maintain a 77 average in all classes. on my last report card i had 3 A's and a 76 which is a D. I was suspended by my captain who is a long time friend. The cheif called me later on that afternoon and told me that if I brought in proof that my grade had came up to beyond a 77 then i could return to active status on the department. i informed my captain that i would be returning and he instruted me to stay away from the fire department for my suspension time that i would be cut no slack and that he had spoken to our cheif who informed him that he had not spoken to me about such a thing and that i was a lair. the next day my cheif approached me in town and asked if i had my letter from my teacher yet so i could come back to the station. i told him no and walked away confused. what do i do????
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

Forum Member

Default Chain of Command

Follow Chain of Command until your suspension is up. Don't go around your superior to someone higher up. Afterall, maybe your Captain knows what's best. I'd certainly take some time to focus on getting that 76 up. If that's department procedures.. gotta follow them.. don't go around someone to get your way. (I'm not accusing you of that.. just my advice.) CHAIN OF COMMAND.

Forum Member

Exclamation Re: a question for all

Originally posted by dragonslayer22
    ok i am a junior member and am still in high school. our department requires that we maintain a 77 average in all classes. on my last report card i had 3 A's and a 76 which is a D. I was suspended by my captain who is a long time friend. The cheif called me later on that afternoon and told me that if I brought in proof that my grade had came up to beyond a 77 then i could return to active status on the department. i informed my captain that i would be returning and he instruted me to stay away from the fire department for my suspension time that i would be cut no slack and that he had spoken to our cheif who informed him that he had not spoken to me about such a thing and that i was a lair. the next day my cheif approached me in town and asked if i had my letter from my teacher yet so i could come back to the station. i told him no and walked away confused. what do i do????

If you have an 77% average, this means that you have a 23% wrong average. This is not good.

Members in most fire training schools are asked to quit with averages like yours. You shouldn't have grades and averages below 90% at the very least!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

no no no i am talking about in high school not fire school i already have my FF1 and FF2
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

Forum Member

IMO, your top priority for this time of your life is to do your absolute best in school. I understand your desire to be an active FF but both you and your FD will benefit in the long-run if you concentrate on your classes. And, as said by others, do what your captain says.

TF

Forum Member

personally, I don't like rules like that, because you can have 3 A's and a C, and be below that "nothing below a C+" rule (or however your department has it set up). I'd rather see one based on your overall GPA, but that's neither here nor there.

is your captain a junior captain, or a regular FF?

my suggestion is you better stay away from the department until you can bring proof that your grades are above 77. give copies to both the captain and the chief.

and focus on your school work, so next time you don't have that D.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Exclamation

It sounds like you are really concerned. GOOD!!!Take this for what it is, a necessary hurdle for you to learn from. Start to improve your grade NOW, so you can get that letter from your teacher. It is very important you understand how serious this is to you and your department. This is probably something you don't want to go thru again. Right? I predict that you'll never get below a 77 average ever again.

Forum Member

The fire department will exist for a long, long time.

School comes first. Get your grades up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Res343cue

AMEN REV. RESCUE

Forum Member

Originally posted by StLRes2cue

AMEN REV. RESCUE
    Ditto
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Permanently Removed

Default Good advice...

Originally posted by Res343cue

I used to get pretty good grades and I admit I slipped
    some toward the end of high school. Looking back now,
    I wish I would have done better. I was an Explorer Scout
    and very much into the FD. I should have just focused more
    on getting better grades.

Please listen to the others and take a step back. Stay
    on track with your grades. Its worth it.

Forum Member

just out of curiosity whats the low grade in?

I also agree with everyone else I myself struggled with this thats why I only joined my volunteer department last year because I didnt want it to interfere with my high school.

Forum Member

While I agree that you need to concentrate on your education. I am wondering why you didn't tell the Chief, when he approached you about the letter, that you had been told by your Captain that you had never met with the Chief and that you were a liar. Sounds to me like there is a personnel issue here that the Chief may not be aware of. Since the Chief called you to ammend the Captains "orders", you deserve an explaination from the Chief when you were told something different by his Captain.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Originally posted by dragonslayer22
    no no no i am talking about in high school not fire school i already have my FF1 and FF2
    Ok...I am curious...maybe I should have done the research...but seeing as Dragonslayer said it...I will ask it...

In NH you have to be 18 to get your FF1 and FF2 cert...18 by the time you take your final test that is...is it different in NC?? Just a thought and observation....
    ~~Jenni~~
    Canaan Fire Department-Canaan, NH
    "In the end we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand,
    we will understand only what we are taught."
    Baba Dioum, Senegalese Conservationist

In my department, you have to be 17 to even be a junior.. and i dont know about the FF1 and FF2 thing. maybe FF1 but both is just unrealistic.

Forum Member

Originally posted by JenniJ375
    In NH you have to be 18 to get your FF1 and FF2 cert...18 by the time you take your final test that is...is it different in NC?? Just a thought and observation....
    Oh yea.. it's pretty much the same here. The people under 18 can take the classes.. but won't get any certifications until they turn 18, so it doesn't really mean anything at all until you turn 18.. you're still NOT CERTIFIED! I knew a few guys that took some FF1/FF2 classes before they turned 18, personally.. I don't see a point in it cause it's not like you're even going to be able to use that certification until you're 18. Their argument was, "Well at least when we turn 18 we'll have half of our FF1/FF2 finished..." All I can say is ALL of the kids that went through the FF1/FF2 classes when I did.. and there were only two that were actually under 18 (one was 17 and the other was 16 or 17) were complete morons. They needed to be in grade school learning how to spell, write, and read. Seriously.. one guy couldn't read.

Ok so I did some research...the CADET program offers courses that are PART of FF1 and FF2...but you do not receive the certs...you get a piece of paper saying you took some classes that is about it...So Dragonslayer is not certified in FF1 or FF2...kind of like being in a Police Explorers group...they send you to a 2 weeks "academy"...you get a piece of paper saying that you did it...but it does not mean anything until you get that piece of paper with your State Cert## on it....which you have to 18 to get...and it last a little bit longer then 6 months for both certs.....
    ~~Jenni~~
    Canaan Fire Department-Canaan, NH
    "In the end we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand,
    we will understand only what we are taught."
    Baba Dioum, Senegalese Conservationist

that sounds realistic Jenni... and dragonslayer, NEVER say you are certified unless you actually are. I believe there is a law somwhere about that...

Forum Member

Default NCDOI

Here it is.. directly from NCDOI..
    Age / Education Requirements
    The candidate must be at least 18 years of age. Training and course work may be completed in advance, but certification cannot be issued until the candidate’s 18th birthday. Moreover, the candidate must meet the requirements of the standard in place at the time of his/her birthday even though he/she may have been working toward a previous standard.

The candidate must have a high school diploma or equivalent recognized by the State Department of Public Instruction (i.e., GED). This requirement may be waived for an individual who completed certification objectives prior to October 1, 1990.
    **Edited to fix the links!**
    **Yea, screw the links.. unless you REALLY want me to tell you!!**
    http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Home/Marsh...rCertification

Also, sorry to break it to ya.. but as for your D/O.. well according to NCDOI..
    Age / Education / Prior Certification Requirements
    The candidate must be at least 21 years of age.

The candidate must have a high school diploma or equivalent recognized by the State Department of Public Instruction.

The candidate must be certified Firefighter I and Emergency Vehicle Driver by the Fire and Rescue Commission.

Service Requirements
    The Driver/Operator candidate must have a minimum of three (3) years experience in the fire and/or rescue service.
    Here ya go...
    http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Home/Marsh...dFireApparatus
    Last edited by FTMPTB15; 03-18-2005 at 10:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: NCDOI

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    Here it is.. directly from NCDOI..

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Documents/...eFighterIandII(brochure).PDF

FTMPTB15 , Jenni ... strong work guys.

I said it before, DRAGONSLAYER to the forums please. You have had alot to say before we started catching you in lies, why haven't you had anything to say now?

Thread Information