MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Not Quite An Ice Rescue - But Good All The Same

I was in on this one, as the first of the Dept to arrive. For once events are depicted pretty much as to how they happend. And like it reads: A lot of things went "right" on this one. It has been reported that it was at least 15 minutes between when the couple found her and when she was extracted from the water.. she has no memory of how long she was in before that.

Australian tourist rescues teen from icy Spectacle Lake

By Jennifer Hourihan News Leader Mar 09 2005

A Malahat teenager is recovering from a fall through thin ice over Spectacle Lake, after she was rescued by an Australian tourist.
    Jennifer Fitzgerald, 13, had been walking her dog along the lakeside on Saturday afternoon when the animal broke away and ran onto the ice.
    She ran out after him and both slipped through the thin spring ice about 20 feet from shore.

Fortunately, Craig Isaac and his girlfriend, visitors from Australia who had been staying at the nearby Malahat Mountain Inn and gone for a walk at the lake, spotted her.

Isaac ran into the water, pushing through the ice, to get Fitzgerald out, while his girlfriend ran to the nearest house - which happened to be that of Jason Dixon, a former member of the Malahat fire department.

"I was sitting at home watching TV when all of a sudden this person was at my door banging and saying a girl's fallen through the ice," Dixon said.

Dixon grabbed his cell phone and called 911 while running to the lake.
    Isaac was pulling Fitzgerald and her dog out of the water when Dixon arrived, and they set about trying to revive the girl.

"When I got to her she was almost unconscious, she wasn't responding to questions," Dixon said.

They covered her with jackets to keep her warm and then began carrying her from the bushy area around the lake back to the road.
    Firefighters arrived and used a firefighter's four-wheel drive vehicle to get the girl up the rough road to a waiting ambulance.
    An air ambulance had been dispatched to the area as well, but paramedics determined the regular ambulance would get her to the hospital faster. The Australian couple slipped away once the ambulance arrived.

Fitzgerald was taken to Victoria General Hospital and treated to raise her body temperature. She was released later that day.
    Dixon said she has sore muscles and some scratches from the dog struggling with her in the water, but is recovering.

"She's just very lucky there somebody down there at the lake," he said. "A whole bunch of things went right that day."

-------

Copyright 2005 Duncan News Leader and Pictorial
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good save Rick (and Jason)a great morale shot in the arm for the Dept I'm sure too.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Well done!

Maybe just what the doctor ordered to heal some wounds up there.

Forum Member

Great Job!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information