Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default need a little advice

my dept. is considering writting grant for this year, for a training trailer, with a pick-up to pull it with. and an accountability system. i have talked to a couple of trailer manufactures and they state that they can make a trailer that can be pulled by a pick-up, my question is: is it even possible to include the truck in the grant? or would that make it an invalid grant? i have read the guidlines and am still a little uncertain as to whether or not this is possible, thought i would post the question on here before looking elsewhere for the answer.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Tow vehicles are an eligible cost under transportation costs related to the grant project, but transportation costs are limited to $6,000 per year. Not much of a tow vehicle can be bought for that unless you find something in federal surplus. There is plenty of that out there. At last check there was only one live burn trailer manufacturer, and they build them to be used with an 18 wheeler tractor, but they did tell me last year when we applied that it was possible for them to convert it to a 5th wheel package so a pickup (read as 1 ton or larger with big ***** diesel) truck could tow it.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are two companies that I know of that make trailers. One is Kidde FireTrainers (http://www.kiddeft.com/) the other is Fireblast 451 (http://www.fireblast451.com/).

WHP has just recently annouced that they are offering an eligible trainer also. (http://www.trainingtowers.com/)

We have a Kidde FireTrainer T-4000. It was purchased with funds from the FIRE grant. My truck driving buddies tell me it is light enough that a 1-ton could pull it. Currently it is set up for a 5th wheel commercial tractor, as are all of the trailers that I'm familiar with.

You can read about our trailer here.

And see my opinion on the various trailers in another thread here.

Here is a picture of us picking our trailer up in Fair Lawn, NJ.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe the trailer and truck fall under seperate catagories. The Pickup would need to fall under vehicle aquisition because it needs a DOT registration. And I believe that the trailer is not classified as a vehcile aquisition......

MembersZone Subscriber

Default re: vehicle aquisition

BC79er pretty much quoted the guidance document...

"Tow vehicles or other means of transport may be eligible as a transportation expense under this activity if adequately justified in your grant proposal, but we will limit transportation expenses to $6,000 per year per application."

This is under the Training activities portion of Operations and Firefighter Safety Program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks for the advice!

i have the guidelines guess i just missed that part. thanks for the help folks!
    michael umphrey
    roscommon,mi

MembersZone Subscriber

There's also a FAQ on http://www.firegrantsupport.com/ that addresses this question.

Can I buy a tow-vehicle with grant funds?
    "Any plan to purchase a vehicle with grant funds must be applied for under the vehicle acquisition program. Be advised that a tow-vehicle is a very low priority. Tow-vehicles for a training program, e.g., for a burn-trailer, may be eligible as a transportation expense if adequately justified in the proposal, but such transportation expenses will be limited to $6,000 per year.

The tractor and trailer can be considered as separate single units, or the combination of the tractor-trailer may be considered as a single unit, depending upon local need and the ability to justify the request. However, no more than $6,000 per year can be expended for the procurement of the tractor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks for the advice!

unfortunately that is how i took it too! just wanted to double check, i believe we are still writting for the trailer and an accountability system.
    michael umphrey
    roscommon,mi

Thread Information