MembersZone Subscriber

Default FF physical fitness

I am enrolled at a firefighter academy and hope to get a job after compeleting it, but I am trying to get in physical shape so I am ready for the demands of academy. I was wondering if any of you could give me ideas how you stay in shape, and what areas I might want to work hardest in. thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Hardest thing for me was the run , Im a big guy always have been 6'5" 270 lbs when I entered the academy , During fire 1 we had to run the mile and a half in under 15 minutes during fir 2 it was under 13 minutes. Half the course was uphill and half was downhill it sucked. So I ran every other day whether it be a few laps or over what Im supposed to run.
    I graduated wieghing 300lbs and loseing 4 inchs on my waist so it put alot of muscle on me. My advise to you stay hidrated and work on cardio the strenght will come into play.

I graduated form lecanto fire academy 3rd ranked fire academy in florida a sister school of the ocala state fire college.

Never give up we went from 44 students down to 17 in a month and a half kids couldnt handle the stress testing and physical there was always one small reason or another they failed out.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Thanks for the reply, i'm a big guy too. 6'4'' 245, i was an athlete in High school but i'm 24 not and WAY out of shape. my academy is a 2 week FF 1&2 haz-mat aware & ops in Kansas

MembersZone Subscriber

your academy is only 2 weeks long ??? I don't understand is it just a refresher ??? My whole ordeal was 6 months long . And plus another month to become state certified. Just wondering thanks.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

i will be state cert in FF 1&2 and haz-mat aware & ops(like i said in the previous post) but its no refresher, i'm not sure how in depth they go in the physical part, but its from 8-5 every day then again 6-10 on tues and thurs and 8-9pm on sat and sun. then i'll be good to go for employment purposes then i'll have to get all my certs (arff, high angle, extraction, swift water, confined, etc) after i'm employed and my pay scale will go up

MembersZone Subscriber

but for only 2 weeks ???

MembersZone Subscriber

yes only 2 weeks june 5-17, every day, what is there to spend 6 months on?? i'm new to the fire scene, so any and all info is appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow I went to the fire academy for 6 months tues and thurs nights 7pm - 11pm and saturdays 7am - 7pm every week for 6 months. We trained and trained and trained on every little piece of information in the ifsta manual took a test every day and had homework all sorts of crap to do class projects reports and so forth. If you failed more than 2 tests the whole time you were kicked out you missed more than 2 days you were kicked out , if you were to ever pass out from the physical strain you were kicked out if you could not for any reason finish an evolution you were kicked out.

We did everything over and over again from standpipe , burn buildings , mazes , attacks , ventilation I mean anything and everything in that book we did and ytrained over and over again outside and inside. I guess your academy hands you a book and says good luck i dunno.

MembersZone Subscriber

i don't know, but i don't see the point in going over every little thing, did you retain it all, or did you learn more in the field? this is the most popular academy in the state, and even many canadians come down to take it. oh well, as long as i'm qualf'd to get the job

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes I learned alot i learned so much , theres things I didnt retain yes , but I know so much and the ins and outs the book way to do things and the real world way to do things , our instructers taught us how to pass on state day and then taught us how to do it in the real way its a very tough academy who not alot of people graduate from and Im damn proud to be one of the few , I would get hired over any of these pink panty schools around here they pass anyone and i wouldnt want my life in theyre hands sad to say. They come and use our facility because we have a smoke tower burn building and the whole 9 yards and they come running out of the buildings and crap quite hilarious.

Its pretty hard right now because I cannot find a firefighter job without my emt cert. So Im working on my emt cert right now just wish i could find a department that would hire me right now.

MembersZone Subscriber

i know you've been somewhat helpful, but by the way you talk it seems you are fire god, and they would look over you're minor hiccup of no emt, but here's why i think you can't get a job. you are self absorbed and you would disrupt the house chemistry. i don't know if you are calling my school "pink panty" but i'm sure a school backed by the nfpa, and certified by the state is going to teach crap. and i wouldn't want a cocky *** like you watching my back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default BACK TO THE QUESTION

back to my original question, and not dogging my academy. any work out tips from you experienced guys that would help me be in tip top shape for my cpat?

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is tip number 1
    Lose your pride, If another person calls your school a "Pink Panty School" smile and take it. You need to learn to swallow pride in the fire service. You will run across great guys and not so great guys. Be a bigger man and let your own professionalism handle these conflicts.

Now for Tips-(Workouts or Cpat?)
    Stairs/Stairstepper- Live on these they will get your legs in great shape.
    Chew gum when you work out the gum keeps your mouth hydrated. This allows you to push harder.

Forum Member

Hey firepimp - why make fun of his academy? He's just asking for advice. If you think your 2 half days and one full a week was so tough stay away from Chicago. Ours was 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday for 6 months. So does that make YOUR academy pink panty????

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks KC for the tip, I usually stay cool, but looking at the guys other posts, and his cocky attitude got me a little worked up. and thanks for the workout tip, i've been on the stair stepper more lately but probably not enough. bye the way, what dept in KC are you on? I might look into applying down there after I grad from academy. I'm live in the topeka, ks area.

Thanks ChicagoFF for a little back up, but let the "pimp" that isn't even a FF talk his talk.

former FH.com member

Cman- run run run, run your *** off and then run some more. You will need all the endurance you can get for the academy and the job afterwards. Stairsteppers are great for cpat prep, but I've found nothing really beats road time for overall cardiopulmonary endurance.
    Drill School down here is 6 months full time as well, so I'd be curious to see how a 2 week program works. I guess every state is different though. Make sure you are as mentally/physically prepared as you can get and good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

CMAN,
    I am at KCMO and they are starting a list to hire as we speak. I know you are ready to move right? Well if you could, do it. It's worth the wait I put in. The academy gets you certified in all you are looking for and you get paid to do it! The dept is full of amazing guys who will help you in anyway they can. Good luck to ya!

Here is a typical workout I would suggest

3 min 20 seconds 100 lb vest
    drop 25 lbs and continue for 3 minutes 30 seconds
    drop 25 lbs and go till you can't anymore.

Take 5 and then spend time on isolated muscle group
    (Arms, Back, Shoulders, etc)
    only do circuit training exercises)

Finish with a light jog and atleast 10 minutes of good stretching

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by cman3899
    i know you've been somewhat helpful, but by the way you talk it seems you are fire god, and they would look over you're minor hiccup of no emt, but here's why i think you can't get a job. you are self absorbed and you would disrupt the house chemistry. i don't know if you are calling my school "pink panty" but i'm sure a school backed by the nfpa, and certified by the state is going to teach crap. and i wouldn't want a cocky *** like you watching my back.
    woah woah woah Im so sorry dude , you took what I said wrong , I did not say your school was a pink panty school I meant 2 schools in my area , I know nothing about your academy , I completely appologize for the mix up . I was actually very interested and still curious how training only works out to be 2 weeks maybe its your state maybe you learn everything I did and much more in a diff way. I did not mean any harm in the pink panty comment that was derived for HCC and PHCC schools. I will re read and see why and how you took it wrong. I do not think I am a fire god I am just a minnow in a huge ocean of lots of learning to do. And still very green and a rookie I learn everyday and enjoy and take so much pride in learning as Im well sure you do as well once again my appologies and the comment was made for a couple schools around here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also to help out what i used to do as a work out and we were made to do it everyday when we finished at the end of the day hose drags. If you have or can get your hands on 2 sections of 3" hose connect them together in a circle and walk down and up a hill or anywhere you can while dragging the old hose behind you , as you go along walk one way down walk halfway up and sprint halfway up , or run the best you can , we always did 2 , the more you do the more you build in your legs and core , it helps so much trust me for the leg strength and endurance you will need , also have bunker gear on I dont know how well your used to manuevering in your gear but always wear it and get used to lugging it around. By the end of class I could run 2 of these up and down but Ive always had great leg strength pore upper body .

Also we had a form of punishment called manatees you take a self locking donutroll of 3 " 50 feet and walk up 5 flights of stairs to the roof scream manatee on the roof then walk down , you ewould get these for doing anything wrong walking backwards leaving your faceshield up forgetting your rope , not wearing proper ppe , not checking for a gasket , if you sat down wrong , steping over a ladder instead of walking around , all sorts of stuff. Well as class went on 1 manatee became 3 then 1 became 5 . I screwed up so much at times I hold the school record for doing manatees , plus i was a squad leader and knew the instructors so they always expected more of me to teach other classmates right from wrong. Not to proud of the record but you hafta be remembered somehow. It helped me out alot by doing alot of those also again have your gear on , like other people have said work on running and legs it'll help save your but and make you stand out.

Again sorry for you takeing the comment the wrong way , and yes I am cocky , but never cockness that puts someone else down only mainly self pride. Theres some help and good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by cman3899
    Also in florida I think its almost a state requirement no emt no job or at least be in emt school its pretty hard to find just a firefighter job for now , if there is one I havnt find it Im looking up diff. countys everyday , can't find any hiring right now that just do firefighter or will hire single certs and put them on probation , its hard enough to find an emt / firefighter job , eeryone wants medics around here its kinda like firefighting is way overlooked. I dunno thats just the vibe Ive been getting.

Thread Information