Thread: FDNY NYPD Helo?

Forum Member

Question FDNY NYPD Helo?

Has FDNY improved their relationship with the NYPD Air Units since 9/11? Has FDNY considered getting their own air unit like LAFD and LA County? other then Honolulu does anyone else currently run a Fire Helicopter Unit?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

There never was a problem between FDNY and NYPD Aviation.
    The only real changes since we were attacked have been positive. The NYPD picks up a Brooklyn Battalion Chief at Floyd Bennett Field and provides aerial surveys and of 3rd alarm fires and large brush fires when special called. They also have capability of operating "Bambi Buckets" I'm not sure if they've ever been called on to do so.
    The department has, in conjunction with Aviation and ESU, revised the Hi Rise Roof team procedures and several companies have participated in joint agency drills.
    Does FDNY need an aviation unit? In my opinion yes, does the Commissioner think so? Who knows. Would the Mayor go for it? The mayor wants to close 30 more companies to make an even 36 for his legacy.
    For years the FDNY has had it's head in the sand to fire service advances. Only following firefighter deaths and negative media attention have a few improvements been made. Only time will tell.

Forum Member

THIRTY MORE FIRE HOUSES?

This is the first I'm hearing of it and I am extremely dissapointed. It was bad enough closing six, I can't believe he is seriously considering closing even more firehouses, especially on such a large level...Sorry to get off topic but that struck me hard.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

Forum Member

We have 2 (I think) here. Not sure why we have them. They dont do much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Tim, you read right he said "when" he gets re-elected he plans to close 30 more companies, which will probably translate to 15 companies actually closing. Just companies, not houses, one company is left in double houses for the appearance of normalcy. They closed a house last time round from Joe Marchbanks' Battalion, E36 gone forever.
    Joe Marchbanks was a good man, I had the pleasure of working in the house E35/TL14/BN12 with him for about a year before he was killed.

Forum Member

I didn't notice it said "when" he gets re-elected. I go to school at Manhattan College, but I don't qualify as a resident. Unfortunately I can't vote against him. I can't believe that he is able to get away this. I do remember hearing that they closed Engine 36.

Joe was my godfather. I never had the opportunity to talk to him about the fire service very much, I was still pretty young all things considered when he passed. Although I do remember him telling me to jump in as a volunteer to get a taste of what it's like, and sure enough I did. The one time I ever visited one of his firehouses, was when I was a ripe old 11 years old or so. Back when he was captain of 49 truck, we went to a yankees game on the rig. I never had so much fun in my life. Almost caught a run too, but there was one person sharing a seat in the rig, and even though he was off-duty, Joe was looking out for the company and told them to hit the run and then come back to pick us up. Those were the days...
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

MembersZone Subscriber

Does the NYPD have a per/hr. figure for flying the ships. It is my understanding that there is a dollar figure that is in the thousands of dollars per hr., all things included.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Does the NYPD have a per/hr. figure for flying the ships. It is my understanding that there is a dollar figure that is in the thousands of dollars per hr., all things included.
    Yeah, helo ops usually are in the 1 to 2 grand an hour range, on the average ship. All depends on the maintainance required for the particular airframe, and the rate that the personell are paid. Fuel comes into play, but it is minor compared to payroll and service life of parts.
    Now do the NYPD accountants charge on paper the FDNY accountants while they are doing a job for the FDNY or do they just considerer that they would be patroling most of the time anyways?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information