Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Unique boot issue

Perhaps someone else on here has run into this issue before and can offer some help.

I have a new recruit who is rather short and bulky. I don't consider the guy fat, he's just a bigger guy, ex-Marine who is short. He also has smaller feet.

So I order the guy some new boots for his foot size, and while his feet fit, he has an issue with the upper part of the boot being terribly tight against his calf. Tight enough he has no chance of getting his pant legs in the boot with his leg.

I know there are non-NFPA compliant "driver's" boots that are cut differently that might help the issue, but I'd rather stay with something compliant. Anyone ever try stretching the top of a boot to create a larger circumference? Even switching to a leather boot doesn't seem like a viable solution, as I always thought they wore a little more snug around the calf.

I'd like to find something to work for this guy, because after seeing a lot of folks come and go, it isn't hard to tell who has what it takes to stay and make a valid contribution. I think this guy has what it takes, and want to make sure he succeeds.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Black Diamond Boots

I assume that your looking at rubber but leather is a better fit.
    I have the same problem you need to go to a dealer and have them measure the calf,...It may take a little longer but the fit is proper. They also cost a little bit more but are well worth the price.
    They are also NFPA compliant
    Last edited by Ltmdepas3280; 03-09-2005 at 08:31 PM.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

So basically you're saying that if I order, for example, Pro Warringtons for the whole department (which I'm really working hard on), those folks with weird sizes and proportions that don't fit the standard sizes can have custom fit boots made?

Just another reason to go that route...

Try the Pro 5000. That boot has a lower cut in the back of the boot.

Dennis

Black diamonds are the only one that I know of with a custom fit ...the warringtons have a boot with a shorter back on it for a large calf.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

I used to have Ranger rubber boots. They were 16" tall and I had the same problem. I bought a pair of Pro Warrington 3009 boots. They're only 14" tall which helps a bit, but they are overall wider than the rubber boots, so you can fit a large calf and pants in there. Also, the leather will stretch out a bit around the calf if your calf is large, somethign that the rubber wont do.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

Ive had a horrible time with boots , I wear a size 15 and my feet are extra wide so its so hard to get a good fitting boot , while I was in the academy my feet would get so soaked from being in boots all day and the boots being horrible fit , that my feet bleed everyday from the wear and tear and nothing anyone could do , plus i had the same problem my calfs wouldnt fit well at all especially the pants wouldnt go in so I rolled them up sorta and wore extra long socks , I came across a pair of boots that are loose and fit like a dream around my calf I will go to the department tommorow and find out the brand they are awesome for me a little wierd looking theyre almost a neon yellow and black. Ill see what i can do.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Try Tuff King Boots. we had a female FF a few years ago who was a size 4 (very small feet). and I beleive Tuff King made hers specially for her as they don't make them that small for mass production.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Talking

There was a firefighter midget down in Texas whose testicles hurt and ached almost all the time. The firefighter midget went to the doctor and told him about his problem. The doctor told him to drop his pants and he would have a look. The firefighter midget dropped his pants. The doctor stood him up onto the examining table, and started to examine him. The doc put one finger under his left testicle and told the firefighter midget to turn his head and cough, the usual method to check for a hernia.

"Aha!" mumbled the doc and, as he put his finger under the right testicle, he asked the firefighter midget to cough again.

"Aha!" said the doctor again, and reached for his surgical scissors. Snip-snip-snip-snip on the right side, then snip-snip-snip-snip on the left side. The firefighter midget was so scared he was afraid to look, but noted with amazement that the snipping did not hurt. The doctor then told the firefighter midget to walk around the examining room to see if his testicles still hurt.

The firefighter midget was absolutely delighted as he walked around and discovered his testicles were no longer aching.

The doctor said, "How does that feel now?" The firefighter midget replied, "Perfect Doc, and I didn't even feel it. What did you do?"
    The doctor replied, "I cut two inches off the top of your fire boots."

Be sure you have the get the correct PPE!!!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Going with CaptOldTimer on this I would say go with the proper fitting PPE. I just happen to have a small foot for a male. Depending on boot or shoe I run between 6.5 to 7.5. I am also only 5'5" and have the same problem. I always used the rubber style boot and never had trouble. I recently got a pair of Black Diamond Lastehr boots and the tops need to strecth a little. I decided to wear them around for a while to allow the tops to widen. Now they fit with no trouble at all. Not sure if it will cause a major problem in the PPE. But you might want to see if the tops will give a little.
    Thanks
    DM

Having worn a pair for a few years I will admit that they are not my favorite & I prefer tall bunker style boots, but what about the 8" or 10" style boots?
    Black Diamond, Servus (Shown below) and other companies also make these shorter NFPA compliant boots as well.

If the guy was in the core then he HAD to wear boots styled similar to this so you're bound to be able to fit him.

Best of luck whatever route you choose.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Default Try some German boots

Our whole department just got Haix leather bunker boots. I had the exact same problem as I've got big calves from the army and playing hockey all my life. It only took a couple drills and fires before the top stretched out just fine. If your in the market for some new leather's, don't count the Haix out. They're a really nice lightweight boot.
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

Contact Black Diamond. I believe they will make a custom pair as someone else has said. I know I got a pair of boots that were size 16 made by them for a friend of mine who is an Assistant Chief in Tenn. He is also an NFL player. Black Diamond made him boots to fit.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801
    ex-Marine
    Err, Former Marine, Lee Harvey Oswald is an Ex-Marine.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

10" zip ups, dont even bother with the calfs

Quote Originally Posted by Fire304
    Err, Former Marine, Lee Harvey Oswald is an Ex-Marine.
    I'll have to check that, as we've had some really winners come through. I do understand where you're coming from, point taken.

The issue was solved with a set of Warrington 5000s. Just managed to get them issued to those on the department meeting minimum guidelines and have their year on, he was an exception to make a "reasonable accomodation" to help him actually fit his leg and pants in the boots.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jolly for Jolly

I use a leather boot made by Jolly, the boot seems wider at the top and shorter in length. Hopefully the additional width and shorter length might help the recruit in question. Link http://www.boot.com/bjfirepro.htm

Otherwise, I hope the new guy looks good in short shorts

Thread Information