Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SCBAs

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBAs

Does anyone have a successful FIRE ACT grant for SCBAs that they could send me?

Any help would be appreciated.

k3twpfire@comcast.net

I'll see if our chief will give me a copy. I do know that one of the keys that he felt gave us an advantage was including another agency as far as interoperability. We actually bought masks for the local sheriff's department to use for WMD events, SWAT needing a pack, drug labs, etc. I don't think they want to have anything to do with it now, but there was some interest at some point.

We also donated our old packs to another dept. and the local college's fire science program. Not sure if he included this intent in the narrative or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have created the narrative for the 2005 grant. I want to compare it to other successful grants to make sure I haven't missed any points. I just wonder about putting anything into the grant about donating the old packs. I have just spent 5 pages detailed how our packs are old, parts are no longer available, etc. and then I tell them they are good for someone else.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

K3, you might want to trim that down a bit. There's a seminar in DeKalb Friday night with two guys who've done peer review; if you can't make it up I'll ask them about it. But that seems long to me. If you can make it, PM me for info on place and time.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Jay is right. At our local grant meeting they stated about 1 1/2 to 2 pages was ideal. Much more and they tend to skim read and may miss some important details in your grant.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, I am at 3 1/2 pages when putting the narrative into the grant system (for testing purposes) There is some stuff I will look at cutting out. I have a fire chief of neighboring department who has received 15 grants for various departments also working on this. His main concern is us asking for a compressor on a low volume department (76 fire & 118 amb) calls a year. I am working on friday so I won't be able to make it up there.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

As far as the compresor goes, we got one a couple years ago on a FIRE Act grant (I can't find the file on it, or I'd sent it to you), but I remeber we pushed the idea that neighboring departments on three sides of us would have access to filling here any time. I'm sure that helped. They shouldn't consider call volume when looking at that sort of thing. I'm sure you've got it in there, but if you mention that the lack of a compressor hampers your training efforts, because it requires you to go elsewhere for refilling, that would probably help too.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

According the grant tutorial, it says to spend about 1 page of each on the four point (project description,financial needs, cost/benefit, operational outcomes).

MembersZone Subscriber

Default don't overkill

I was successful in writing grants for 2 straight years. didn't get one in this last year (2004) because we really couldn't prove a great need. We did get 15 air packs and 15 radios and a new compressor unit in the 2002 AFG though. In 2003 we got a new 3000 gallon tanker. But our narratives were only about one page long. They were clear and concise. We didn't add alot of BS but we just spelled out our needs and what we wanted. So don't bore them with every detail. remember they are reading thousands of these things so spare them the song and dance. Remember be clear about your objectives, what your benefits are and why you must have the equipment. Remeber it is a peer review your don't have to go into the nitty gritty details.

Forum Member

Chrnea, can you send me a copy of your narrative for your tanker?

iceman_87_o5@yahoo.com
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Thread Information