Thread: Need Some Help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need Some Help!

Does anyone know if there is any regulation against a firefighter changing a sprinkler head under the direction of his captain? I changed one this morning (this was a direct order by my captain) and was told by a fellow firefighter on another shift that if there was a fire there tonight and that sprinkler didn't work that they could burn my butt. Is this true? Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the Captain on duty to follow this regulation, if it even exists. I'm relatively new to the fire service and kind of confused so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ya'll be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Need Some Help!

Originally posted by lpfd669
    Does anyone know if there is any regulation against a firefighter changing a sprinkler head under the direction of his captain? I changed one this morning (this was a direct order by my captain) and was told by a fellow firefighter on another shift that if there was a fire there tonight and that sprinkler didn't work that they could burn my butt. Is this true? Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the Captain on duty to follow this regulation, if it even exists. I'm relatively new to the fire service and kind of confused so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ya'll be safe
    We covered this the other day in sprinkler class (fire sci)
    If you change the head, your department can be liable, and depending on the laws in your state, they could sue you personally (similar to the way someone can sue an emt). Its best to either wedge them, or shut down the os&y or piv and provide a fire watch (if its off for more than four hours). Also, in some states you must be licenced to work on a sprinkler system......

Hope this helps....

Thread Information